Julien Shapiro, aka Poivrot Farci, in the Finals of the World "Páté en Croí»te" Championships

Poivrot Farci

Pigeon, Gin-Soaked Currant and Toasted Almond Páté en Croí»te: Special Longshot Dark-Meat Horse Edition. Submission to qualify for the 2012 World Páté Croí»te Championship in Tain l'Hermitage, France.

No dove, no love.
7973624814_c192d382a7_c.jpg

Pastry feathers and almonds; juniper berries and culeb peppercorns as currants
7973624396_2bdcff4a8d_c.jpg
Rooftop chimneys.
7973623376_2423fa4827_c.jpg

7984447260_26ca6e1c04_c.jpg

7984441199_2007c1bc9f_c.jpg

Pigeon breast, liver farce í  gratin, gizzards, almonds, currants, fatback, whathaveyou.
7984424279_5bf334eb56_c.jpg

I read this really quickly, & thought you had used horsemeat. I'm glad it's pigeon & liver, but I guess if you're a carnivore, you need to be able to eat horse & pigeon (I still haven't gotten over reading 'Black Beauty'), I console myself w/ the thought that the birds don't seem quite as intelligent, or maybe it's the fact they don't have beautiful eyes? Your pates are lovely...

I hope that you make it into one of those competitions. Your work is world class!

Word. I am one of the lucky ones to benefit from this boy's culinary artistry, besides those who attended a DR.com picnic a couple of years ago. Can't thank him enough for his talent--that accompanies his civic pride.

Had the great and absolute pleasure today of watching him break down a Berkshire hog today that some friends and I purchased. And I got a glimpse of stuffed trotter that he was braising that looked great and smelled fabulous. We are so lucky to have him in this area.

I will always look up to and respect Julien Shapiro for having the skill, the guts, and the tenacity to enter - and damned near win - this competition.

The rest of us can only dream. You were right there.

Very, very few people can honestly say they're one of the best in the world in what they do - in any field.