Photo

Momofuku Ssäm Bar, Chef Matt Rudofker at 2nd Avenue and 13th Street in East Village

East Village Asian Fusion Cocktails Whole Duck Bo Ssäm Private Dining Momofuku

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seanchai

Seanchai

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

On a trip to NYC with my family that was filled with great eats at casual restaurants, the duck lunch at the Ssam Bar was the clear winner. The rotissiere duck over rice with chive pancake, the duck wings, the duck duck noodles, and of course the obligatory steamed pork buns were all amazing.

#2 weinoo

weinoo

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

On a trip to NYC with my family that was filled with great eats at casual restaurants, the duck lunch at the Ssam Bar was the clear winner. The rotissiere duck over rice with chive pancake, the duck wings, the duck duck noodles, and of course the obligatory steamed pork buns were all amazing.

You mean this...
photo 1.JPG

And this...
photo 2.JPG

Just had lunch here yesterday :rolleyes:. One of my favorite lunches in the city, and a good deal at $20 includes the chive pancake, boston lettuce leaves and a side order.

#3 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,573 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

See also Momofuku Noodle Bar vs. Momofuku Ssäm Bar.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#4 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

We were hear maybe 18 months ago and had a good meal here. Lunch I think. Very fun and satisfying. Less so was the communal cramped table experience, but hey you are only there for lunch. I'd go back.

Food.Wine.Cats.Music.Travel.Hawaiian Shirts.Art.Hiking.Photography.Movie Quotes.Impressions-Humor-Voices For My Cats. :)

#5 genericeric

genericeric

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

Dinner here Saturday night with friend was a mixed bag.  Major upside - table for 4 at 7:30 was available without any wait.  Major downside - three minutes after sitting down they lowered the lights to almost being non-existent.  I don't mind a bit of down-lighting but this was to the point of being a bit odd.

As usual the steamed pork buns ($10) were great - even though these have become common in so many restaurants, Momofuku's continue to be among the best versions around.  Kimchee and pickle jars ($5 and 6$ respectively) were good as always, and an order of Peekytoe crab with apple and mango ($16) was a light starter but somewhat bland.

+1 had the Beet salad with a sunflower hozon, duck prosciutto and raisins.  This was a pleasant enough salad but the earthiness of the beets, match with the earthiness of the sunflower, became largely one-note without much raisin to offset.  My Seafood Hotpot ($19) came with a generous amount of squid in a green broth that tasted mostly of coconut milk.  It was disappointingly one-note, greasy, and lukewarm.  The real winner of the evening was the Boneless Porgy Ssam ($39) which was plenty to be split for 2 and had a nice ginger scallion flavor.

My favorite part of meal may have been my Rodenbach sour ale ($9) - if you like sour ales, definitely one to try.

- Ashburn, VA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: East Village, Asian Fusion, Cocktails, Whole Duck, Bo Ssäm, Private Dining, Momofuku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users