Buck's Fishing and Camping, Upper Conn. Ave. NW - Chef James Rexroad Replaces Vickie Reh

I am still trying to figure out how it could possibly make it taste better. Chicken I can understand, cherry pits, not so much.

They're supposed to add a woody/vanilla-y flavor that some recipes attempt to make up for by adding almond extract or almond flower to the recipe. Personally, I just like a bit of almond flavor and have no opinion on the larger pit/no-pit controversy. I pit mine because my friends are too drunk by dessert to mind the pits and I don't want broken teeth at my table. Plus anything you have to work at eating -- snails, tiny birds with small bones, crab and the like, should be served early so you relax and pay attention to the conversation.

I am still trying to figure out how it could possibly make it taste better. Chicken I can understand, cherry pits, not so much.

Sour cherry pits are sold as a spice. Chowhound recommends making a cherry pit ice cream. So there are cultures that think they add flavor.

Sour cherry pits are sold as a spice. Chowhound recommends making a cherry pit ice cream. So there are cultures that think they add flavor.

Thinking about this some more, I see two arguments for not pitting cherries in a clafoutis:

The pits (or perhaps the fruit closest to the pit (I'm not sure if there is actual connective tissue in a cherry (i.e. nuts in a scrotum) or if the pit free-rides (i.e. nuts in a jar))) may contribute a deeper and/or additional flavor than the fruit near the skin (and of course the skin itself).

More importantly, the pitting process literally pops the cherry. During baking, an unpitted cherry retains its integrity, and each individual cherry cooks within its own protective wrapper (i.e. nuts in a shell) and stews in its own juices; a pitted cherry is a disrupted cherry, and loses its liquids into the clafoutis (which is also desirable, and I'm not advocating an across-the-board ban on pitted cherries; there could be and perhaps should be room for both within the same dessert). But it's this canal that disturbs me the most.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Thinking about this some more, I see two arguments for not pitting cherries in a clafoutis:

The pits (or perhaps the fruit closest to the pit (I'm not sure if there is actual connective tissue in a cherry (i.e. nuts in a scrotum) or if the pit free-rides (i.e. nuts in a jar))) may contribute a deeper and/or additional flavor than the fruit near the skin (and of course the skin itself).

More importantly, the pitting process literally pops the cherry. During baking, an unpitted cherry retains its integrity, and each individual cherry cooks within its own protective wrapper (i.e. nuts in a shell) and stews in its own juices; a pitted cherry is a disrupted cherry, and loses its liquids into the clafoutis (which is also desirable, and I'm not advocating an across-the-board ban on pitted cherries; there could be and perhaps should be room for both within the same dessert). But it's this canal that disturbs me the most.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Am I the only one who needs a cold shower after reading that?

Cheers,

Rocks.

This is a subject I love.

My father was from Limousin (Limoges area) and my grand-mother was an expert in clafoutis and she would be horrified if you pit the cherries

It takes a lot from the taste.

In the real world of restaurant we pit them so we don't have to face law suit of people who need a complete dental work.

At home I never pit them and I also try to use small black cherries.

FWIW, I got an impulse earlier to check The Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook, since I thought there was a cherry clafoutis recipe in it. Alice Waters says the pits are traditionally left in when making a clafoutis because the pits contribute an almond flavor to the dessert. The particular recipe she includes in that book is made with pitted sweet cherries and includes almond extract to compensate for the absence of pits.

The final say on pitted versus non-pitted has just arrived in my inbox, to be translated as needed. From my belle-mère:

"Oui, il est très important de laisser les noyaux parce que lors de la cuisson, ils donnent un goût très particulier au clafouti. Le vrai clafouti se fait avec des cerises mais on peut aussi le faire avec, par exemple, des poires. Je suis revenue ce soir de la montagne."

"Oui, il est très important de laisser les noyaux parce que lors de la cuisson, ils donnent un goût très particulier au clafouti.

D'accord, mais avec les enfants et des types certains....

Le vrai clafouti se fait avec des cerises mais on peut aussi le faire avec, par exemple, des poires.
A

bsolutement, aussi que je le preferes avec des framboises et des figues, ensembles, et en neige de sucre en poudre...

Je suis revenue ce soir de la montagne."

Moi, du jardin ou j'ai senti le merde des chevaux dans le vent.

D'accord, mais avec les enfants et des types certains....

Absolutement, aussi que je le preferes avec des framboises et des figues, ensembles, et en neige de sucre en poudre...

Moi, du jardin ou j'ai senté le merde des chevaux dans le vent.

It was my understanding there would be no French.

We went last night. My wife had fish tacos for $18 and I had sauteed trout with potato pancakes and stuffed heirloom tomatoes for $22. The gazpacho was $8 or $9, and we had a nice bottle of wine for $33. (Bonarda by Mazzolino). Peach cobbler, $7. We thought it was all reasonably priced for the quality we got. Delicious! The place was filling up, too.

Burger was $14. It's not a cheap restaurant but I would like to try their burger!

I noticed there is an 8 oz. steak for $18. Maybe it's not dry aged. I couldn't tell for sure from the menu.

It looked like there were more courses on the menu than I have seen in the past.

Much better and varied menu than in the past when your choices were a $45 steak or a few strange items. Now there is a burger, cheaper steak and you can always get french fires as a sie order (wasn't allowed under Carole). The wedge is still a hit and the fish tacos are great. I love getting sides and sharing them with a burger. The chocolate cake is always delicious also

I'm honored to be in agreement with you, Vickie. Tom Sietsema had some extremely positive things to say about you this past weekend in the Dining Guide, and I for one can't wait to try the pictured roasted chicken from your kitchen.

Thank you very much. If you have your heart set on the chicken you should call ahead to verify it is on the menu that night. I get them from Eco Friendly Foods and from Whitmore Farms (who also provides my eggs) and sometimes the chickens are in limited supply in the size I want.

If you have your heart set on the chicken you should call ahead to verify it is on the menu that night.

i would just take my chances and go even if it's not a chicken night, which i guess is easier to say after you have gone on a chicken night or two, because the chicken is one of the best around, different from down the street so i won't compare the two. one small chicken is from the start a different experience than half of a larger one. (if i remember correctly, the last one i had, and it has been a while, gained a rustic feel from mushrooms.) anyway, you never know exactly what will be on the menu, which makes life more interesting. that's always been the case at this restaurant, even when there was less to choose from on the menu.

a plate of roasted ramps, green garlic and scallions exceeded my expectations a couple of weeks ago. going allium family all the way suggests a one-note meal, but this wasn't, with contrasting flavors. i notice on the web site that this can come with zucchini, so it's a changing cast of characters. the ingredients are similarly coming and going in palena's recipes, so that you can order some of the basically same dishes two weeks in a row and they won't exactly be the same.

maybe it was called a rhubarb tart, but the crust was leaning toward shortbread and this was a terrific dessert, proving that rhubarb can be better on its own, without the strawberries. saffron was in the creme brulee, a mild twist for me; it's familiar tasting but somewhat different against a custard background, the spice vaguely supporting the bitterness of scorched sugar and tempering the sweetness.

Excellent meal at Buck's last night. The highlight of the evening was a grilled asparagus appetizer with a beautiful poached egg atop and a chunk of prosciutto and a dab of balsamic on the side. The bright yellow yolk running over the pencil-thin tender asparagus was simply superb. If there's a contest somewhere for best late spring appetizer, this should be nominated. My wife had the fried oysters as an appetizer. They were plump and expertly fried. Others at the table had a duo of salads (a carrot salad and one that I can't remember) and mussels in a white wine and garlic bath. All plates were devoured.

For the main, I had a sauteed softshell crab served over a bed of lemony pasta. It was my first softshell of the season, and it did not disappoint. My wife had the well-regarded steak, and it did not disappoint either. Cooked to a perfect medium, it was still juicy and well-flavored. The fries along side were also excellent.

If there was one let down of the evening it was the desserts. They were just so-so. The table split the chocolate cake as well as the mixed berry clafoutis. Both were fine, but not particularly notable.

Service was friendly and efficient. I know many are fans of the communal table at Buck's, but we were tucked away at one of the side tables at the back. It was quiet without having tables right on top of us.

Buck's has a very reasonable corkage fee of $20, so we brought two bottles of our own (a 2004 Saint-Aubin Les Charmois and a 2002 Chambolle-Musigny) . Can't comment on the wine list.

All in all, a really pleasant, fun, and relaxed evening.

My wife and I stopped in a Buck's about a month ago. I was underwhelmed the first time I went, but thought I'd give them another chance. The meal started out well, I had the iceberg wedge with Maytag blue cheese and applewood smoked bacon. It was excellent, lots of cheese and well presented. My wife had the greens and enjoyed them a lot. It was early, about 5:30, so we didn't want a large meal so we ordered burgers. Mistake. Both were ordered medium, both came out VERY well done. We sent them back and hers was ok, not great, but ok. Mine was very well done again. I sent it back again and said to forget it. The fries were ok, but slightly undercooked. The special Kaiser roll was not that good either. I guess I should have stuck with the specials. I don't think I'll be back.

If you’re looking for big, pillowy curds, you’ve found them. The home-made cottage cheese is billed as savory, but it is on the bland side, neither tangy nor sour, but creamy, definitely yes, and last weekend was picking up flavor from a small salad of the first good sun-blasted cherry tomatoes of the season, basil and baby oak-leaf lettuce. What’s special about them is the way they chew; they push back, in a way, like dairy farm bubblegum or gnocchi in texture, promoting soft smacking. You feel you are eating something substantial, when you are not, is what heidegger might have said about it. Cut this big, I am assuming rennet is involved in the process, so they wouldn’t be vegetarian. I’ve never had the pleasure of running into a cottage cheese quite like this one before, made with a homespun touch by someone who clearly knows how to spend – I am guessing – her time in the kitchen.

I am assuming rennet is involved in the process, so they wouldn’t be vegetarian.

It's made with vinegar, not rennet, so the dish is vegetarian. My grandmother back in Kansas used to make her own cottage cheese. This isn't her recipe, but the memory of hers inspired me to learn to make it. I'm glad you liked it.

Finally had a chance to try Buck's for dinner on Friday night. Found the atmosphere and service really pleasant. I started with the homemade cottage cheese. I ordered it mostly out of curiosity and was really pleasantly surprised. The curds were much bigger than I expected and reminded me of the fried cheese curds I once had at the Minnesotta State Fair. The heirloom tomato pairing made it a really nice and refreshing dish. For my main course I had the dry aged $40 sirloin. I was reluctant to spend that much for a steak but had heard so many people rave about it that I needed to try it. And you know what? It was worth every penny. The steak was really big and had an amazing flavor due partially to a very light glaze they apparently brush on it when it's cooking but mostly due to being cooked over a wood fire. You could really taste the difference and I would definitely have it again!

Enjoyed our meal there last night! Sorrel soup for me. Wow. Really had a kick! Just a touch of sour cream. I was tilting and scraping my bowl for every last drop! Frisee salad with duck confit, duck cracklings, and poached egg for my wife. Wish there had been more duck cracklings as they were the best thing about the salad. Roast pork tacos with pork cracklings, and fish and chips. These were the best French fries I have had in a while. Our entrees were in the 15-17 dollar range. Had to skip dessert, but I saw chocolate cake and saffron crême brulé and others on the menu.

Any recent reviews of Buck's considering the Living Social Deal today @$30 for $60 of food.

Marks I went a month ago and I loved it. Great burger, my second favorite fries in the city behind Central and the wood fired trout was perfectly cooked and delicious. I'm not a fan of the decor and the service was just a small notch above 'mediocre' but you will be happy you got that Living Social deal, the food is still on point.

ETA It's actually a GroupOn and it's $25 for $50 worth of food FWIW

Dropped by with my son last week to give them one more chance. They blew it again. I ordered a steak, asked for it rare, it came medium well. I sent it back and it came out medium the second time. If you can't cook a hamburger or steak correctly, go find some other business to be in.

Dropped by with my son last week to give them one more chance. They blew it again. I ordered a steak, asked for it rare, it came medium well. I sent it back and it came out medium the second time. If you can't cook a hamburger or steak correctly, go find some other business to be in.

Looking back on this post, I realize I shouldn't have been so harsh. I was not in the best of moods when we went in to eat (if was spur of the moment as we were driving by and were hungry) and everything else about the meal was excellent. The wedge, the fries, the slaw, all great. I guess it isn't that hard to miss cook a steak and I probably would have given them a good review because the service was very good and they tried hard to please me. I really want them to do well since this area can use a restaurant of this type. I guess I'll drop in again sometime when I'm in the area and give them another chance, I just won't order any beef. B) I wonder how the soft shells are.

Looking back on this post, I realize I shouldn't have been so harsh. I was not in the best of moods when we went in to eat (if was spur of the moment as we were driving by and were hungry) and everything else about the meal was excellent. The wedge, the fries, the slaw, all great. I guess it isn't that hard to miss cook a steak and I probably would have given them a good review because the service was very good and they tried hard to please me. I really want them to do well since this area can use a restaurant of this type. I guess I'll drop in again sometime when I'm in the area and give them another chance, I just won't order any beef. :D I wonder how the soft shells are.

Big diff between rare and medium, and overcooking the main component of your dish twice can put anyone in a foul mood B) How much did you pay for said steak?

I'm with you on good service bringing me back to try again. It goes a long way in my book.

Really? A good review despite an incorrectly cooked steak, twice?

Service was good, they tried hard to make it right, everything else was very tasty. I was probably pickier than I would have been if I had been in a halfway decent mood when I walked in, and one man's medium is another man's medium rare. Since I like rare beef, what I called medium might have been what another would have called to medium side of medium rare.

What I'm really saying is that I gave them a worse review than they deserved and I want to try to make it up to them. As I noted, I wasn't in the best of moods when I walked in, and that had nothing to do with anything they did.

I had the camp steak so it wasn't like I broke the bank for dinner. If it had been a steak house that specialized in such, I would have been more (but not necessarily completely) justified in making the complaint I did. Normally I would ignore a restaurant rather than write a bad review, and here didn't follow my normal pattern and I don't think I feel good about that.

How much did you pay for said steak? I'm with you on good service bringing me back to try again.

When the steak is far and away the most expensive item, and it's a flagship dish ('World-Famous').. it goes a long way towards how I perceive a restaurant. I'll also admit that good service helps.. but rare and medium (or medium-well) are not even close.

That said, my experience was rather opposite.. I enjoyed my last meal there and the steak was cooked to my specifications. The service was so-so, and I didn't appreciate the waiter repeatedly emphasizing what the original check amount was (pre-coupon).. while I look young, circling of numbers and smiley faces are not necessary for me to figure out your tip.

When the steak is far and away the most expensive item, and it's a flagship dish ('World-Famous').. it goes a long way towards how I perceive a restaurant. I'll also admit that good service helps.. but rare and medium (or medium-well) are not even close.

That said, my experience was rather opposite.. I enjoyed my last meal there and the steak was cooked to my specifications. The service was so-so, and I didn't appreciate the waiter repeatedly emphasizing what the original check amount was (pre-coupon).. while I look young, circling of numbers and smiley faces are not necessary for me to figure out your tip.

It was the camp steak, not the sirloin, so it wasn't the most expensive. And enough already, I was trying to say that I was too harsh on them, I didn't want to create a tempest over me overreacting on a bad day. Now I'm resolved to go back sometime, just to be able (hopefully) to write about how great it was. B)

I know this is two years old and was off-topic to begin with, but I recently found out the answer to this from that ice cream article in the Post last week. Cherry pits are where most almond extract comes from (I had no idea). Smashed some pits open for steeping in the recipe for the sour cherry ice cream base and yeah, there you go, smells like almond extract. I imagine some of the extract gets out during cooking in a clafouti.

Back on topic: the homemade cottage cheese with beets dish at Buck's might not sound like much, but is very good.

No traffic on this thread in nearly a year. We've gone a couple of times in the past month, including earlier this week. Once with a coupon and once without. Before writing this, I looked online to see if Chef Reh was still there because we didn't see some of the things raved about upthread (e.g., cottage cheese, chicken, seafood) on menu but seems she still is. By all accounts, that's a good thing to be sure though our experiences have been a bit mixed. Don has this tagged in the Dining Guide as:

Once, great, Buck's is now barely better than average, more notable for its design than it's sub-par cooking, Buck's' demise came with using Groupons

Not sure how current that view is. It kind of tracks with our experience as detailed below but it's a bit harsher. The groupon comment is interesting. Sometimes I feel like mostly mediocre (or worse) restaurants are using Groupons these days but occasionally I'll see and grab a Groupon (or one of the other deal sites) for a good or even very good place. Over the past couple of years I haven't noticed any obvious causation or correlation between a restaurant's experimentation with deal marketing and a general quality decline. However, I am definitely noticing a Groupon/LivingSocial decline if measured by the frequency of offers from places I'd normally favor visiting. Unsurprising given the economics for restauranteurs in most cases.

Anyway, on Buck's:

HEADLINE

A decidedly mixed bag

VENUE

Nothing much new to report here. A bit dark and the curtains, some non-load-bearing walls and table layout sort of make it feel like an old house with the semi-illusion of different rooms. One person's 'a bit quirky' will be another's 'homey.' Comfortable for us. Easy to talk. Enough light. Comfortable chairs, table size and table spacing.

SERVICE

A bit inconsistent. The first time we went, it was good and attentive for the first half of the meal and then neglectful the second half. Tough to get water refilled. A long wait for the check while our server chatted at the bar. This week, the service was much better with more of a team approach clear, though not so friendly.

FOOD

Across both visits, we ordered two of the same dishes both times to be able to compare. They both were better the first time than the second. These two repeat dishes were:

- Fried oysters served with an aioli: Both times a very generous portion with maybe 8 or 10 larger-sized oysters. They were crispier and maybe accented (at least with some lemon?) the first time. A bit heavier and not as seasoned this week. Okay though. Just better fried oysters at many other places recently.

- Burger. This was a big highlight for us on our first visit. This week, the burger lacked seasoning which of course took it down on the flavor meter a good deal. Fries better/hotter/crispier on the first visit than this week.

I can't recall what else we ordered during our previous visit but, from this week, I can comment on two other starters:

- Mushroom soup. This was excellent. A hearty base with rich, deep mushroom flavor I really enjoyed. Had a drizzle of oil (I guess olive but not sure) and a dollop of creme fraiche on top.

- The maytag, bacon iceberg wedge. Also good. A basic dish without much innovation that reminded me of North Jersey diners but good, fresh and a big portion.

BEVERAGE

Per my norm, I won't comment too much on the wine program other than to say the options by the glass are pretty limited and straight-forward. Then again, without a super duper wine dispensation system like at Proof (love that since can't really count on much help from my +1 to justify ordering bottles most of the time), maybe it's not so viable for more modest restaurants to offer much by the glass? Though I recall seeing a great piece about wine markups and restaurant wine reccs by Don in Washingtonian a few years back, I'm not sure what to reasonably expect from restaurants in 2012 on that dimension.

VALUE

Very good. Not accounting for the groupon on one visit, two of us got out both times for less than $65 including a glass or two of wine.

BOTTOM LINE

I'm not sure how I really feel about Bucks. Mixed feels right. Unsure whether I should commit but maybe another date is in order. Seems like they're positioning as a simpler, sort of value-priced, neighborhood restaurant based on the limited menu and moderate prices. We had some good things with other things disappointing. As neighborhood restaurants go, I'd take Evening Star over Bucks every time but maybe that's not a fair comparison for reasons not readily evident to me. We'll go back and give it another try. Would love to try the chicken, the cottage cheese, maybe some crabs or fish, and the cherry pie if those still appear from time to time. Maybe others with recent or upcoming experience can report. Or I'll just phone the restaurant next time to check on what's for dinner before heading over.

I'm always happy coming here. But I stick to the wedge, then either the burger, camp steak, their seafood soup when they have it, or the occasional duck leg dish. Lower cost wine list, too, often changing, with selections beyond the "usual suspects".

The place is what it is....I don't think it's changed post-Groupons, or even post-Greenwood.

i have had good meals at buck's countless times, but haven't been there in a good while. the last couple of times we tried to pop in following readings at politics and prose, the place was slammed with what we assumed were last-minute groupon customers. i probably would not have wanted to eat there anyway on an unexpectedly crowded night. during the greenwood days, portions could shrink dramatically when ingredients were running out, and that appeared to be the case in the post-greenwood days as well. i particularly remember a diner at a neighboring table complaining to her friend about her mini-burger, and it was small. in my experience, and i suppose we are big eaters, $65 seems closer to what it would cost one person to eat here, not two. when we had our son with us a few weeks ago, i chose comet in order to avoid the additional expense, where we start with the chicken wings. (both restaurants are staffed by an engaging cast of characters that, along with the decor, makes them unique.) i remember buck's at its best in the spring, putting to good use the local vegetables as they were coming in, so around now is probably an appropriate time to make a reacquaintance.

i remember buck's at its best in the spring, putting to good use the local vegetables as they were coming in, so around now is probably an appropriate time to make a reacquaintance.

Very interesting reading the varied reviews on Bucks over the past few years. We had an outstanding meal there last night that was the culmination of a run of 4 groupon and non-groupon meals. I would have to respectfully disagree with Dons assertion regarding the decline in the quality of the food at Bucks. On the contrary, at they price point I think they are one of the best deals in the city. Further, and for a location that has experienced service issues in the past, we've never had a bad experience going back 10 years to when it was still Greenwood (maybe we were just lucky!). I'd also not that staff turnover seems very low with several servers again being recognizable from our first visits there 10 years ago. Anyhoo, what about the food........

Onion Rings: In my opinion the best in the city. Culinary crack. Lovely light batter and slightly spicy dipping sauce

Fried Oysters: Plump, seasoned nicely, thank you very much

Grilled Asparagus w/ poached egg and crispy prosciutto: Very tasty

Grilled Ramps w/ a few other bits and pieces: I'd never had ramps before, enjoyed them. Stating the obvious here but to me like a cross between a scallion and a leek. Had a nice chat with the waitress about the provenance of the Bucks ramps

Softshell crab: Fried I believe, it didn;t stay on my wifes plate long enough for me to tell

Local Mushroom Saute w/ Quinoa Pilaf, Grilled Rainbow Chard and a Poached Egg: Absolutely outstanding!! I remember a few months ago trying a similar dish at Ripple in Cleveland Park after rave reviews on DR. It was terrible and came in a serving size more appropriate for a child. THIS DISH WAS SPECTACULAR!! (channeling my inner Joe H here :D ). I love mushrooms, I love eggs, and everything game together in this woody, unctuous blaze of culinary glory. I challenge anyone to have this dish and not like it.

Saffron Creme Brûlée: Favorite thing about this was the nice thick burnt sugar crust on top. Sometimes it can be very thin an unsubstantial. This was like breaking glass. Very satisfying and great texture contrast to the creme.

So there you have it - excellent food, excellent service. Our Groupon meals there have been the same, albeit cheaper. We are lucky to have both Bucks and Blue 44 in our neighborhood.

As reported by The Washington Post, tonight is the last dinner service at Buck's overseen by its current chef, Vickie Reh, who is leaving to design wine programs for a couple of unnamed upcoming restaurants. I know Buck's has received mixed reviews during her tenure, but I've always been very happy with their food and service (my blog post from last year). Since the departure of the previous chef (Carole Greenwood), I've really appreciated that the once spartan menu has greatly expanded (and become nicely organized into favorites and seasonal offerings). Reh has added some great dishes, like the homemade cottage cheese starter with beets and carrots, inspired by what her grandmother used to make (great story about that in the Post a couple months ago). She also retained many of the restaurant's classics, like their sirloin steak. I'm particularly fond of their hamburger, a newer addition to the menu, which is a Friday night favorite at our house. It will be interesting to see what happens next. I hope whoever comes in is able to pay homage to the restaurant's past while putting whatever their personal spin will be on the menu (just like Reh did). If they can accomplish that, I'm sure we'll continue to be regulars. I wish Reh well in her next endeavor.

• Like 1

Had dinner at Bucks a couple days ago for the first time in a very long time.  It was lovely.  Onion rings were perfect, light and crisp.  Food was "comforting" (lobster stew, roasted broccoli, bread pudding etc.).  Vibe was warm, service was friendly and helpful.  I used to find the place a little stark, but that feeling was gone.

Had dinner at Bucks a couple days ago for the first time in a very long time.  It was lovely.  Onion rings were perfect, light and crisp.  Food was "comforting" (lobster stew, roasted broccoli, bread pudding etc.).  Vibe was warm, service was friendly and helpful.  I used to find the place a little stark, but that feeling was gone.

Thanks for this update. I heard from James Alefantis today, and James Rexrod is still his "head chef" (I'm not sure if that means "just at Buck's," or "at both Buck's and Comet.") Here's a copy of the September 25th menu from the website - it sounds like sheldman might have ordered off an even more recent version (I encourage folks to upload copies of the menus (not merely links to the webpages) from time-to-time so they can be captured for posterity):

9.25.14.new.pdf

PS - James, I love your stage direction from "The Winter's Tale," but if you're going to do things like this, it's imperative to spell the author's name correctly, especially when it's a "known" author like this guy was. :)

attachicon.gif9.25.14.new.pdf

PS - James, I love your stage direction from "The Winter's Tale," but if you're going to do things like this, it's imperative to spell the author's name correctly, especially when it's a "known" author like this guy was. :)

Long as you're sidelining as copy editor, help James with the difference between "every day" and "everyday," as well. :P

Having moved to this neighborhood a year ago, I initially did not prioritize coming to Buck's due to the tepid reviews here, but a chef of a Bolded restaurant informed me that they had turned it around here and that he enjoyed the food often.  And indeed, this place is a easy neighborhood go-to.  It is hard not to get the Big (prime) Steak here and share it.  I really enjoyed the wood-fired heirloom carrot salad the other day, in a yogurt dressing.  

The one entree that is a bit prim and proper is the hamburger here, it is a petite patty and it didn't really matter that I ordered it medium rare as it was not really a glorious juicy monstrosity that I have grown used to in DC.  

But really Buck's is the gold standard of dining out here, I personally prefer it to Macon.  I support Comet as a good neighbor but more times than not I am willing to drive and find parking for 2 Amys.  The bar is always lively, very outspoken art (and kudos for not having a cheezy TV), and the bartender is really awesome, too.  A very respectable local, of which many neighborhoods should be envious.    

1 hour ago, DaRiv18 said:

Having moved to this neighborhood a year ago, I initially did not prioritize coming to Buck's due to the tepid reviews here, but a chef of a Bolded restaurant informed me that they had turned it around here and that he enjoyed the food often.  And indeed, this place is a easy neighborhood go-to.  It is hard not to get the Big (prime) Steak here and share it.  I really enjoyed the wood-fired heirloom carrot salad the other day, in a yogurt dressing.  

The one entree that is a bit prim and proper is the hamburger here, it is a petite patty and it didn't really matter that I ordered it medium rare as it was not really a glorious juicy monstrosity that I have grown used to in DC.  

But really Buck's is the gold standard of dining out here, I personally prefer it to Macon.  I support Comet as a good neighbor but more times than not I am willing to drive and find parking for 2 Amys.  The bar is always lively, very outspoken art (and kudos for not having a cheezy TV), and the bartender is really awesome, too.  A very respectable local, of which many neighborhoods should be envious.    

I had lowered Buck's to #2 in upper NW DC, but based on your review (and your review alone), it's back at #1. Thank you for writing it.

Curious to know what you think of Comet vis-a-vis Terasol and Macon - *so much* has changed with all of these places - your knowledge is invaluable, and much appreciated (though undoubtedly missed by the H Street Overlords).

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Don.  Terasol has great ambiance, cool live music, and very unpretentious.  I would go there just to have a great conversation in a very chill environment.  The food is fine -- decent technique and everything is tasty, but I get the sense they are using Sysco products.  I have never seen it very busy either, so I am wary of ordering seafood.  Also, their menu is very bistro and widely available -- should I get a respectable hanger steak and fries here for $29, or a wood-fired 16-18 ounce prime new york strip with fries to share across the street at Buck's for $39?

Macon has the opposite issue:  bustling, presumably local ingredients, but in my mind a not very distinctive atmosphere.  Nothing offensive about the ambiance, just trendy-ish.  I feel Terasol and Macon are a push, in my eyes.  

Comet is like the worst of both worlds.  The menu practically screams that "local" ingredients are showcased but the only brand names are "La Quercia Prosciutto (Iowa)" and the mysterious "Stan's Local Merguez Sausage" which I cannot find on the interwebz.  I concede Comet does use Toigo's tomatoes for the sauce, that's important.  Wings fall off the bone (I mean that in a critical way) and are more about sauce than anything else.  Wood-roasted starter vegetables have little depth of flavor.  Ambiance-wise, it is basically an indoor playground, I feel weird sitting at the bar and having gobs of middle-schoolers walk by me constantly to play foosball.  I get that Comet is an important symbol, and I support them for being a valued community amenity and partner, but let's not go overboard.  And the Guy Fieri endorsement -- really?  The dude brands his own likeness at your front door, and you haven't done anything about it since?  Geez, Ben's Chili Bowl is willing to paint over President Obama's mural, so I am quite sure there is nothing sacred about a Zero-Star no-talent self-promoter.  "Hey, nice Guy Fieri sleeve," said no line cook ever.  Anyways -- How Sietsema gave Comet the same number of stars as 2 Amys is beyond me.  

Buck's is very busy, has a large outdoor area for dining outside, and maybe I'm a sucker for rose prosecco on tap.   The decor is kind of cheezy, but I think that's the intent.  It's fun, the food is good, it is family friendly but it isn't an arcade.  I like it.

• Like 2

At the risk of overrating a place that has been underrated in the past, my low expectations were blown away this past Saturday night. My party of 4 had 6:45 reservations (and needed them - the nondescript exterior makes Buck's seem less lively than it was that night, at least) and we stayed until almost 9, not least because we enjoyed our meal so much. Great for out-of-town guests with less adventurous palates (hey, one man's boring is another man's safe), the menu is simple, homey, and almost perfectly executed.

Deviled Eggs were unremarkable (not bad! just had better), but Gordy’s Fried Pickled Jalapeno w/ Yogurt Dip was a nice change of pace from the fried pickles (i.e., cucumber) more prevalent in this kind of restaurant - just a little zing of spice.

Crisp Iceberg Wedge Salad w/ Point Reyes Blue Cheese, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Horseradish Dressing was fresh and well-balanced, but the revelation in the Starters was Carrot Dip w/ Grilled Flatbread - I was sure it would be a cloying glop, but it turned out to be so much more subtle (cream cheese? sour cream?) and satisfying.

Aforementioned out-of-towners raved about their matching cheeseburgers, but everyone was jealous of my Pan-Roasted Halibut w/ Sauteed Green Beans, Cauliflower Puree & Roasted Pepper & Herb Sofrito Sauce - perfect from first bite to the last.

Service was friendly and not too attentive, and price is very reasonable for DC. Everyone liked that the decor was cheesy on first glance, but quirky upon further inspection. Limited draft selection, but Bell's Two Hearted is always great.

• Like 2