Stone's Cove Kitbar, Centreville Road in Herndon, Small Plates, Sandwiches, and Flatbreads

Does anyone know anything about this place? I'd never heard of it and it was on a short list of places sent by VA-based friends from which we're supposed to choose for a dinner out we're planning in a few weeks.

Seems like it has been around awhile, though how long exactly I can't tell. Novel concept, thought can't tell if more odd than interesting. Some mixed reviews on the generally-unhelpful Yelp, virtually no mention on Chowhound and doesn't seem to be in Don's Dining Guide or have a thread? And, they just announced an expansion into Maryland! Huh? Hmmm...

Worth trying or stay away? Anyone?

Thank you.

Stone's Cove is close to my office. My boss took a co-worker and I to lunch there as a thank you about a year ago. While we would not rule out a return visit, none of us has been back.

The space was very loud and not an easy place to have a conversation. We were seated at a peninsula table that jutted off of the bar/open kitchen. Our server was stationed at the bar so we had almost constant face to face contact with him and the rest of the staff. And even after reading the online menu it took the three of us a good 10 minutes with the menu to find something pleasant to eat with work company. Two us us had the burger and the third had something messy to eat - maybe sliders. My burger and fries were fine - as memory serves. I found the seating awkward and the staff intrusive. I would suggest sitting farther away from the bar/kitchen.

Stone's Cove is close to my office. My boss took a co-worker and I to lunch there as a thank you about a year ago. While we would not rule out a return visit, none of us has been back.

The space was very loud and not an easy place to have a conversation. We were seated at a peninsula table that jutted off of the bar/open kitchen. Our server was stationed at the bar so we had almost constant face to face contact with him and the rest of the staff. And even after reading the online menu it took the three of us a good 10 minutes with the menu to find something pleasant to eat with work company. Two us us had the burger and the third had something messy to eat - maybe sliders. My burger and fries were fine - as memory serves. I found the seating awkward and the staff intrusive. I would suggest sitting farther away from the bar/kitchen.

In case anyone (like me) was wondering what a Kitbar was, click here.

Five of us ate lunch at the Herndon outpost today. To say the least, it was interesting.

First observation -- it's a zig-zag lunch bar with the kitchen and the bar all in the middle of the rectangular communal lunch counter. Every waiter is also a cook and a bartender and all are interchageable. It makes for a unique but loud, and somewhat below averarage quality, dining experience.

Second observation -- fully half of the lunch menu is alcoholic beverages....I don't know what crowd it's catering to, but lunch in the middle of the tech industry footprint isn't meant to result in tipsy.

Third observation -- while a few of the items seemed OK by anyone's 'low expectation' standards -- like shrimp and grits and cobb salad -- items like the Cuban panini (with salami instead of ham) and the lobster salad cones (which taste like relish and not lobster) are really sub-par.

If I had to choose a place to eat in the Clock Tower plaza in Herndon, this wouldn't be the place. But then, I wouldn't eat in the Clock Tower plaza in Herndon if I had a choice anyway.