Help Needed - Korean Calligraphy on Rice Paper Need Mounting Services

Tweaked

Rockwellians, I was recently gifted a piece of Korean calligraphy done on rice paper and would like to get it mounted as a wall hanging or scroll.

I contacted the Freer/Sackler and they sent me a list of conservators who specialize in Asian art. My initial thought is these conservators might be a little more "high-end" than what I am looking for, but on the other hand I might have limited options when it comes to getting very delicate rice paper properly mounted.

Being the worldly lot that you are, does anyone have an experience with this sort of stuff? Thoughts suggestions?

Getting out our Korean Yellow Pages.....What area do you live in? In Annandale: Annandale Art Frame (7409-C Little River Tpk 703 314-3320) Rockville: Art and Frame Depot (14933-A Shady Grove Rd, 301 738-3433). If you aren't in either of these areas, send me a PM and we'll try to find something close by for you.

I have used Frame of Mine on Capitol HIll for years for all sorts of delicate framing/shadow box, etc., projects for both professional and personal projects. We have had 19th century engravings framed, delicate fabric done in a shadow box and everything in between. They do a beautiful job.

http://frame-of-mine.com/

202-543-3030

Jennifer Lowe

NW DC, but anything in the greater DC Metro area works.

Question is, do any of these places above specialize in mounting fragile rice paper calligraphy pieces? The Annadale store looks like it might be a possibility.

I've used Frame of Mind in the past as well, I'll give them a call...and they are a no go. They could do something if it was already mounted but not for something that is just rice paper.

NW DC, but anything in the greater DC Metro area works.

Question is, do any of these places above specialize in mounting fragile rice paper calligraphy pieces? The Annadale store looks like it might be a possibility.

I expect a Korean place might have a reasonably decent idea of what to do (no guarantee, but more than likely a better chance). As soon as Grover gets home, I'll see if she can find a NW DC area Korean frame shop for you.

Rockwellians, I was recently gifted a piece of Korean calligraphy done on rice paper and would like to get it mounted as a wall hanging or scroll.

I contacted the Freer/Sackler and they sent me a list of conservators who specialize in Asian art. My initial thought is these conservators might be a little more "high-end" than what I am looking for, but on the other hand I might have limited options when it comes to getting very delicate rice paper properly mounted.

Being the worldly lot that you are, does anyone have an experience with this sort of stuff? Thoughts suggestions?

Is there anything special about rice paper (shape, size, cut) which would prevent you from going to a "regular," high-quality frame shop and having the piece matted (probably double-matted, and I would suggest the mats be the same color as any color used in the ornamentation, and that the frame be the same color as the letter (presumably black) - I say this from experience because I once got some (inexpensive) calligraphy framed and the color schemes worked nicely and I still have the pieces over 20 years later). I also have a very high quality piece by Henry Wo Yue-Kee which is on handmade rice paper, and which he framed himself so you may want to talk with the calligrapher.

The rice paper is very delicate so I want someone who has experience dealing with this kind of thing. In addition, it seems frame stores have the materials and know how. For example, Frame of Mind, which I have used before and is considered a good place to go for framing, said that they don't do rice paper mounting. If it was mounted they could frame it or whatever, but they can't do anything for it in its current state...which is basically a folded up piece of rice paper. Frame of Mind suggested investigating places in Annadale or contacting a museum to get some conservator recommendations.

The Annadale people noted above said they could probably do something, but they would have to take a look at it first.

Sackler/Freer gave me a list of conservators, one of which is located on 17th street. Nishio Conversation Studio