Late Dining

Waitman

What's semi-swank but still serving food at 10:30 on a Friday? Rogue 24 and their current bar thing can only deliver a "maybe," and there's Proof and Bistro (Francais, du Coin etc) but I'd like to tread some new ground. Nicer than Old Ebbitt.

Gracias.

You know, atmosphere-wise, I don't think either Bistro Francais or Bistrot du Coin is as nice as Old Ebbitt (and I say this having just been to Old Ebbitt three days ago).

I would *love* to get some current DC answers to this question - in VA, I can help you, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. This is an important list, and worth putting some time into.

Thanks qwertyy. Don -- I love Old Ebbitt for the table linens and gaslights, and it's a fine place for a burger and a martini, but the rest of the menu does not inspire.

Oh, the food sucks! When you said "nicer," I thought you were referring to the swank factor.

But it goes without saying that the half-price raw bar, 11PM - 1 AM, Sun - Thu, is a great deal.

Listen up: if you do go for this raw bar special (either early or late), forget the crummy little list of "wines that go with oysters." They have no meaningful wine discounts during half-price raw bar - at least none that I saw - and the beers are hoppy and uninspiring. Get the full wine list, unfold it, and get either the Pinot Grigio by the glass ($7.95), or if you're going to go by the bottle, get the Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine ($24). Those particular two things are what you want with raw oysters, clams, and shrimp, and I was *just* there so I can say this with confidence. Seriously, I just did a bunch of people a favor by writing this - probably the most useful tidbit of information I've written here in quite awhile. Please remember it!

Oh, the food sucks! When you said "nicer," I thought you were referring to the swank factor.

But it goes without saying that the half-price raw bar, 11PM - 1 AM, Sun - Thu, is a great deal.

Listen up: if you do go for this raw bar special (either early or late), forget the crummy little list of "wines that go with oysters." They have no meaningful wine discounts during half-price raw bar - at least none that I saw - and the beers are hoppy and uninspiring. Get the full wine list, unfold it, and get either the Pinot Grigio by the glass ($7.95), or if you're going to go by the bottle, get the Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine ($24). Those particular two things are what you want with raw oysters, clams, and shrimp, and I was *just* there so I can say this with confidence. Seriously, I just did a bunch of people a favor by writing this - probably the most useful tidbit of information I've written here in quite awhile. Please remember it!

Pinot Grigio -- ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pinot Grigio -- ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I'm not a huge fan of it either, in general, but the one here has decent acidity and works with the oysters - I was surprised I liked it as much as I did (the Muscadet is the better choice if you can spring for an entire bottle).

You know, atmosphere-wise, I don't think either Bistro Francais or Bistrot du Coin is as nice as Old Ebbitt (and I say this having just been to Old Ebbitt three days ago).

Unless you are going to one of the back bars, I don't think OE really meets the swank factor. On the other hand, the back bars can be great for a late night rendezvous.

And the late night oyster HH doesn't happen on Fridays.

Would Barracks Row places qualify? I think they're all open late?

Other than maybe Senarts, I don't think swanky when I think of Barracks Row. If you are going for swanky on the Hill, I think Hanks is your best bet. I'm pretty sure their late night HH is all week.

Depending on how late you are shooting for, if you are there by 11:30 Izakaya Seki is a good choice if you sit downstairs at the bar. The yet to open Mari Vanna Russian Restaurant looks promising. If you are looking for a liquid meal (I have no idea about the actual food) the roof of the W seems to fit the swanky factos. You can always grab a bite at The Hamilton first. Finally, the new bah mihn and pho place around 14th and U, whose name I can't think of, would be a good choice, assuming your company can eat pho late at night without knocking anything over.