Rose Veal Brisket

saf

I went to the farm market the other day, looking for a nice piece of meat for Christmas dinner.

I came home with a rose veal brisket that looks delicious.

We have no idea how to cook this. The farm stand recommended a spice rub and low slow roasting. Ok, that's a start.

Anybody got any ideas? We're both pretty good cooks and have lots of pots, pans, spices, and other kitchen stuff.

Your brisket sounds great, I wish I had some specific advice to give you, but I think your idea of low slow roasting (or maybe braising) would be best-I have a mixed history w/ brisket (smoked) & I think veal brisket would be more delicate. I would add onions/shallots, maybe garlic (my family thinks I overuse it), heavy s&p, maybe carrots, potatoes, or something like turnips or fennel (not alot, & underneath, in case they didn't turn out the way you'd like) & use an accurate instant read thermometer to prevent overcooking.

I appreciate the advice. We so rarely cook beef at home! (And when we do it is usually bison burgers or sausages on the grill.) Restaurants do it better. (I love Ray's the Classics for my beef fix.) So I know how to braise things, but usually not beef.

What I am finding wants us to braise it in the oven between 325 and 350 for somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 hours.Oddly, the veal brisket recipes seem to want the oven to be hotter than the beef brisket recipes.

I'm liking the look of this recipe so I may go this way. I think I need a bit more research to see how to modify it for a veal brisket, as opposed to a beef brisket. Also this, but same thing - how to modify from beef to veal.

Then again, I also like this one, which is actually for veal, and takes 3 hours less. And it's on the stove top?

Anyone got other good recipes or guidance to point us at?

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on here, but I've got a 3lb. veal sirloin tip roast* in the freezer that I'm going to defrost to cook this weekend, and I'd love any preparation/serving ideas and advice so we can enjoy this treat to the fullest.

*Valentine's

*thanks*

4.5 hours @ 350 and you will have a big dry hunk of sawdust swimming in a delicious broth, if there is any liquid left. That's way too hot and too long for a veal brisket. If you want it in the oven that long for logistical purposes, dial the oven temp way down to 225-230. 2 hours at 325 is probably just right, and check it at 1 1/2 hours to see if the meat is soft yet.

Treat the veal sirloin roast as you would beef. It will have milder flavor and slightly softer texture. I wouldn't season it aggressively, like with knife slits filled with garlic--that would overwhelm the flavor of the meat. I would brown it on top of the stove and finish it in the oven to 125-130 f. internal temp and concentrate on the side dishes.

4.5 hours @ 350 and you will have a big dry hunk of sawdust swimming in a delicious broth, if there is any liquid left. That's way too hot and too long for a veal brisket. If you want it in the oven that long for logistical purposes, dial the oven temp way down to 225-230. 2 hours at 325 is probably just right, and check it at 1 1/2 hours to see if the meat is soft yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'll go with 2 hours at 325 for dinner.

Now for the easier task - deciding what to PUT on it!