Corned Beef King, Deli in the Exxon Station at 18000 Georgia Avenue, Olney - With a Food Truck, Too

Please move this if I am wrong, but I did not see a topic for the Corned Beef King.

The king has a food truck and sells full time from the Exxon station in Olney. My parents still live there and picked up sandwiches this afternoon, and I was very impressed. We split two sandwiches between the four of us and it was plenty of food for the non-famished. They aren't Carnegie deli style, but definitely ample for the $10 price tag per sandwich. The meat leans toward moist rather than lean which made it more enjoyable at the time and slightly less so later, when cool (though those who don't mine fattier meat would likely have no problem). The mustard was spicy and the slaw (a side) was sweeter and vinegary, just the way I like it. The pastrami was cut a bit thicker than the corned beef.

They sell around MoCo I believe from the truck- I think it's worth seeking out in our deli-starved area.

http://cornedbeefking.com/

I've been to the truck once.

Very good corned beef and pastrami, and a nice knish as well, but AWFUL rye bread - I think they bought it off the shelf from a grocery store. On a 1-5 scale, brings the sandwich down to a 2 from what could have been a 4. No reason to return with all the other options in MoCo unless they go to fresh bread.

I've been to the truck once.

Very good corned beef and pastrami, and a nice knish as well, but AWFUL rye bread - I think they bought it off the shelf from a grocery store. On a 1-5 scale, brings the sandwich down to a 2 from what could have been a 4. No reason to return with all the other options in MoCo unless they go to fresh bread.

The pastrami on their website looks really good (and very thickly cut, as ALB points out), but both turkey sandwiches pictured have way too much cole slaw.

They are sometimes in front of my office and I have tried both the corned beef and pastrami, since Brooklyn Deli is my standard for comparison they do not match up. Brooklyn is five minutes from my house so I am spoiled when it comes to deli.

We occasionally stop in to bring sandwiches home.  I love pastrami and theirs is pretty good.  Well spiced, and a lot on a sandwich.  My son always goes for the corned beef and he likes it a lot.  Given that my other option is to drive to Rockville or Potomac to buy a pastrami sandwich, I am very pleased that this is close enough to be an option when I want a deli fix.

• Like 1

We went to Corned Beef King and ordered our usual lunch, the giant onion rings and Reubens (one regular one Pastrami).  They were even better than usual today since the bread did not get soggy at all on the bottom.  They added a few more tables and can now seat about 12.

We chatted with the King himself and found out that he is considering a new location in Rockville.  He is looking at a spot in Rockville Town Center but it depends on the deal they offer him.  The new place would offer craft beers in addition to the current menu.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

I ate at Corned Beef King recently and we chatted with the owner.  He has abandoned plans for Rockville Town Center because of the high rent and parking issues.  He is looking into other locations in Gaithersburg.  Stay tuned.

Rumor is where Hakuba was in Kentlands.

We went to them for a platter (minimum 15 people) for a family gathering.  I have to say that it was fantastic.  They offered to deliver and set up, included the warmer pans for the brisket, pastrami, and corned beef, and put together a fantastic platter of cold meats and salads.  Also gave us enough rye bread and rolls to feed an army.  Everyone loved it, and it certainly saved us a lot of time.  Can't say enough about how accommodating they were and the food was fantastic.  Everyone was stuffed and we had left overs for a couple of days.

• Like 1