Dining in Clifton

Here's an update on Heart in Hand in Clifton. The decline continued. Eventually the management made a feeble attempt to turn it into a bar, noted mostly for its malaise. It wasn't interesting enough to get the local writers to hang out there, which means it was pretty bad. Also, the AC didn't work. Eventually it slid quietly out of sight. I don't think anybody noticed the day it closed.

Heart in Hand was briefly replaced by a place called Weston's, which didn't have an ABC license, but did have an obnoxious person on the phone who enjoyed trashing his neighbors more than telling callers about his restaurant. It closed almost before it was fully open.

Now an Italian place seems to be making an attempt. It's at least applying for an ABC license. But at last check it hadn't actually opened. So right now your best bets in Clifton are the Main Street Pub, formerly the Clifton General Store which is OK for lunch and is more of a bar at dinner. Then there's Peterson's which is an ice cream place that sells hot dogs and barbecue when it's open. The hours are at the owner's whim.

Finally, there's Trummer's on Main, which remains excellent. They've upped the ante with a nice bar menu that's reasonably priced. If you're in Clifton, go there.

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Trattoria Villagio (wrash)]

Some Clifton news. After having breakfast at Clifton Cafe this morning, my wife and I walked around town for a while. After strolling along a few of the streets, we were walking along Chapel Road back towards Main Street and noticed some construction in progress at the old Heart in Hand building. We went around to the front porch and I saw the building permit and another flyer. Coming soon (Fall 2012, according to one flyer) to old town Clifton is Villagio of Clifton and it appears that the old consignment shop right next door will be Villagio Pizzeria.

According to this article, the owner is Sal Speziale, who has opened other Italian restaurants in Northern Virginia.

40 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Has anyone been to Rosemary's Thyme Bistro? I love lahmacun, so I'd like to try it out.

Hey Al -- the Mrs and I (and now the kids as well) have been going to RTB occasionally for over 20 years. Definitely worth a try. To me they seem to do best with carb-y sorts of things and grilled meats. The pita is very good. I've always enjoyed the Pides.

BTW, this is Clifton in name only. :lol:

On 5/17/2013 at 5:01 PM, dgreen said:

Some Clifton news. After having breakfast at Clifton Cafe this morning, my wife and I walked around town for a while. After strolling along a few of the streets, we were walking along Chapel Road back towards Main Street and noticed some construction in progress at the old Heart in Hand building. We went around to the front porch and I saw the building permit and another flyer. Coming soon (Fall 2012, according to one flyer) to old town Clifton is Villagio of Clifton and it appears that the old consignment shop right next door will be Villagio Pizzeria.

According to this article, the owner is Sal Speziale, who has opened other Italian restaurants in Northern Virginia.

The Trattoria Villagio was doing a brisk business last Saturday.  We did not stop to eat (we did poke around though), but will definitely give the raw bar a shot next time and maybe a little lunch or dinner.  The pizza looked respectable.  We were going to stop back for dinner, but got sidetracked by the Paradise Springs Winery.

Lunch at Trattoria Villagio this week. It was my first time there and they seemed medium busy for a dinner weekday. We enjoyed the fried artichoke hearts, spaghetti carbonara and the lunch sized Italian cold cut salad with sliced steak. Friendly service, plenty of parking. 

• Like 1

We had a great family meal at TV last night. Not perfect -- drink orders were somewhat botched and the highly touted lobster ravioli was a bit of a disappointment -- but the atmosphere is great, the desserts are superb and the appetizers are strong. I'd just skip the entrees and make a meal out of smaller plates.

• Like 1