Energy Kitchen, a New York-Based, Health-Conscious Chain inside Capital One's Corporate Campus in Richmond - DC's Downtown Branch Has Closed

I was reading the "healthy dining" thread, and knew I couldn't get away with mentioning the opening of this new restaurant without posting a new thread first. (or fear being chastised by Don! ;))

Energy Kitchen is a restaurant the has nothing over 500 calories. http://www.energykitchen.com I do know that there is some affiliation with Five Guys with this location. They have been planning this for over a year--I know as when I went to NYC last year in December I knew they would be coming so stopped in to take a gander at one of the original locations.

We take the guesswork out of eating healthy by offering a completely guilt-free, fail-proof menu. There are no hidden temptations, no hidden calories and, best of all, no regrets. Everything on our menu is grilled, baked or steamed, never fried, and always under 500 calories.

Our grass-fed beef is free range, 90% lean and all natural. All of our buns and wraps are made with whole wheat (not to mention a whole lotta love). Plus, all of our beverages are low calorie, our dressings fat-free and our meals as delicious as they are healthy. Go ahead, dig into a low-fat, high-protein meal that tastes great and that you can feel good about.

That is each item, mind you. So when you order a burger AND fries, you need to realize the total amount of your meal will NOT be 500 calories.. But if you want to have them without totally shooting your day's calorie allotment, this is the place to go. They just opened last week and I have to say that all the men in my office were disappointed, except with the fries. The women however, thought otherwise. Ha!

So far I have tried the Bison Cheeseteak, the Energy Burger and a salad with Grilled Chicken. This is not going to be "gourmet" food, but at these calorie counts, I am very happy to be able to get a burger and fries for lunch. I'll wait to pass full judgement on the food since it just opened, but suffice it to say that I will be back for more. Next week I'm going to try the Turkey burger.

• Like 1

I had the Energy Burger and a side of Asian broccoli slaw earlier this week. It was tasty, but it felt like a ripoff. I understand the benefit of smaller portions, and clearly that's how they're able to keep to the posted calorie counts, but the burger and side together (with no drink) totaled $13.50 for what amounted to not all that much food.

I hear their breakfast sandwich is good, so I might go try that, but I don't think I'll be returning for lunch.

Has anyone else been? I love this place. I find that I need to order selectively at any lunch place in the area to keep the cost close to $10. That being said, I have been eating here almost every day! There are ways to order at any establishment that will keep the costs down. Usually adding sides are what will get you, unless you "energize" your meal. By getting a burger, and adding fries and drink, you do save $. Note also that if you are a loyalty member once you earn 100 points, you get a $10 credit. I've already reached that level :P

And as much as I really love the Turkey burger here, (It's quite juicy and very tasty) I've become addicted to the chipotle sweet potato soup. With a bit of spice and sweetness,it is thick and delicious. I have it topped with fat free cheddar for some added protein. It's quite filling, and sometimes I'll get collard greens from one of the hot food bars nearby to mix in and extend the soup even more.

My newest addiction, however is from a bit of creative ordering. They have brown rice as a side, and I order the Bison Cheesesteak wrap, and ask them to substitue the rice for the wrap. They put the rice in a bowl and chop the bison burger a bit smaller than when it is in the wrap. The onion and peppers just add a great flavor and It is sooo good. It's filling and no sides are necessary so it is under $10. I've also ordered it and subbed turkey for the bison, which works as well.

I can't comment on the smoothies as they have soy in them (off limits for me) but most everything else I've had is top notch. The breakfast is a little odd however. They use 5 egg whites which makes for a huge unweildly amount on a roll, or even in a wrap. They also offer 3 egg whites, but it's still a bit large. My solution? I've ordered the egg whites on rice for breakfast, and instead of a "formed" egg (think McD's) I ask them to make it like an omelet. Now that was a winner.

• Like 1

Well the thread title is 19th&L downtown. It is a New York brand, with franchises in other locations. There are no longer any in the Washington region. Richmond is not local. (That doesn't mean they won't try to open again in a better location if they can find one.)

Well the thread title is 19th&L downtown. It is a New York brand, with franchises in other locations. There are no longer any in the Washington region. Richmond is not local. (That doesn't mean they won't try to open again in a better location if they can find one.)

I agree with everything you write here (although I changed the title last night). For better or for worse, Richmond restaurants are included in the Washington, DC forum. We only have several of them, so it just wouldn't make sense to make Richmond a separate forum. Same thing with Frederick (DC forum) and Annapolis (Baltimore forum).

But only the 19th and L Street branch downtown.

The website seems to show others are plugging right along, including one in Richmond.

That's in Capital One's corporate campus, I don't think you can just drive up and eat there.  Also, their menu is a 51MB PDF download, which is insane. I've seen 10MB before (still nuts) but never anything like this.

Edit: And the 51MB download is one page! Completely bonkers!