Greetings, DR friends! The last time most of you heard from me I was a big, happy pregnant lady. Well, it has been a while. In addition to the craziness of having a newborn, the other big reason that I've been completely off the radar is because I feel like I can't really eat anything anymore so reading about or talking about food is not much fun.

Despite specifically ordering an easy, unfussy baby, I got quite the opposite. My poor son, now 5 months old, is a major sweetie pie but has a number of issues that keep us on our toes. The reason I started this post is that my biggest challenge is that he has food allergies (which they call sensitivities at his age). The long and short of it is that if I eat anything with even a trace of dairy or soy my sweet baby screams in pain for hours on end.

So where does that leave us? Well, I dropped the pregnancy weight and then some. And not to start a pity party but I miss eating. It is incredibly difficult for me to eat out. Really, I could write a book.

When the pediatrician suggested eliminating dairy and soy I thought it would be hard, but I had no idea. It turns out that soy is in EVERYTHING. Just for fun, look at the Au Bon Pain allergen chart on their website. There are around 3 safe items. Soybean oil, soy flour, and soy lecithin are hidden in tons of things you would never expect.

The purpose of this post is to try to generate ideas for safe places to eat (and to compliment restaurants who have made my life a little bit easier). I've had very mixed experiences. I know I am not alone in having food restrictions, as there are many people with issues far more severe or challenging than mine. Please share if you know places where food allergies are taken seriously and patrons are not made to feel like fussy crybabies.

Thus far, I've had a few positive experiences where restaurants took my concerns seriously and/or prepared things differently for me:

• Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church "“ Obviously, pizza is out. Well, cheese pizza at least. Thanks to the wonderful Chef Will, I had a great meal here. Chef (and the manager, Sarah) were awesome about helping me find food I could eat. It was the first good meal I had had in a LONG time and I was so grateful.
  • 2941 Restaurant  "“ I had a very positive experience when I was invited to an event here where I was to be the guest at a friend's company dinner. I called ahead and told them about my restrictions. They went over the menu with me on the phone and we arranged to have my selections prepared without dairy or soy. They also notified my server ahead of time and when I arrived I identified myself to her. They allowed me to avoid making a big to-do over my restrictions.
  • Ceiba"“ I went here for an office lunch recently. I was so impressed with how accommodating they were. The two waiters I spoke to over the phone and in person seemed extremely knowledgeable about food allergies and were able to immediately tell me which items contained dairy and soy. They were fabulous and I enjoyed a nice meal.
  • The Hamilton "“ I'm heading here this week for a work function so I called ahead to discuss my options. A chef named Brian was wonderful. He spent time with me going over different options, and went to the trouble of pulling out packages to read ingredient lists. It was clear to me that he was sincere when he said the restaurant takes food allergies very seriously.

Finally, ordinarily I avoid most chains, but these days they can be my best option. Most chains have allergen information on their websites.

Greetings, DR friends! The last time most of you heard from me I was a big, happy pregnant lady. Well, it has been a while. In addition to the craziness of having a newborn, the other big reason that I've been completely off the radar is because I feel like I can't really eat anything anymore so reading about or talking about food is not much fun.

Despite specifically ordering an easy, unfussy baby, I got quite the opposite. My poor son, now 5 months old, is a major sweetie pie but has a number of issues that keep us on our toes. The reason I started this post is that my biggest challenge is that he has food allergies (which they call sensitivities at his age). The long and short of it is that if I eat anything with even a trace of dairy or soy my sweet baby screams in pain for hours on end.

So where does that leave us? Well, I dropped the pregnancy weight and then some. And not to start a pity party but I miss eating. It is incredibly difficult for me to eat out. Really, I could write a book.

When the pediatrician suggested eliminating dairy and soy I thought it would be hard, but I had no idea. It turns out that soy is in EVERYTHING. Just for fun, look at the Au Bon Pain allergen chart on their website. There are around 3 safe items. Soybean oil, soy flour, and soy lecithin are hidden in tons of things you would never expect.

The purpose of this post is to try to generate ideas for safe places to eat (and to compliment restaurants who have made my life a little bit easier). I've had very mixed experiences. I know I am not alone in having food restrictions, as there are many people with issues far more severe or challenging than mine. Please share if you know places where food allergies are taken seriously and patrons are not made to feel like fussy crybabies.

Thus far, I've had a few positive experiences where restaurants took my concerns seriously and/or prepared things differently for me:

• Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church "“ Obviously, pizza is out. Well, cheese pizza at least. Thanks to the wonderful Chef Will, I had a great meal here. Chef (and the manager, Sarah) were awesome about helping me find food I could eat. It was the first good meal I had had in a LONG time and I was so grateful.
  • 2941 Restaurant  "“ I had a very positive experience when I was invited to an event here where I was to be the guest at a friend's company dinner. I called ahead and told them about my restrictions. They went over the menu with me on the phone and we arranged to have my selections prepared without dairy or soy. They also notified my server ahead of time and when I arrived I identified myself to her. They allowed me to avoid making a big to-do over my restrictions.
  • Ceiba"“ I went here for an office lunch recently. I was so impressed with how accommodating they were. The two waiters I spoke to over the phone and in person seemed extremely knowledgeable about food allergies and were able to immediately tell me which items contained dairy and soy. They were fabulous and I enjoyed a nice meal.
  • The Hamilton "“ I'm heading here this week for a work function so I called ahead to discuss my options. A chef named Brian was wonderful. He spent time with me going over different options, and went to the trouble of pulling out packages to read ingredient lists. It was clear to me that he was sincere when he said the restaurant takes food allergies very seriously.

Finally, ordinarily I avoid most chains, but these days they can be my best option. Most chains have allergen information on their websites.

• Like 2

I feel ya, Catherine. mothers sometimes have to make big sacrifices and go through hell to take care of their infants. I can tell you from experience, that in a very short while you will feel very good about the sacrifices you've made for him, and will have forgotten the suffering it entailed.

We've had good luck (celiac, but I think this holds true for most of the "major" allergies out there) with the Jose Andres empire. Call ahead, but they often will also have allergen-notated menus available; I know Oyamel does.

• Like 1

Dean at Dino in Cleveland Park is very accommodating with allergies. He's also especially transparent about ingredient sourcing with most farms, seafood sources, etc written onto the menu. You may just want to give him a bit of notice for best results. He also made a point to me recently that some of the more popular, mass market places like Maggianos, Cheese Factory, etc have the capital and space to be able to have separate kitchens altogether for gluten free cooking and the like.

Likewise for a special occasion or trip out to the VA countryside, the Ashby Inn is also very nice about this if told in advance so they can plan. We went recently (need to post on that!) and they'd prepared an entirely custom menu for my +1.

Sooo... I am not the most strict person on my diet and choose just to get myself sick a lot because there are just so many things that set me off. I am gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant and have a stomach that really just hates life altogether and likes to stress its moody behavior at all times. BUT when I am trying to stick to my diet I have found these places to be amazingly accommodating, although I do try to give them some advance notice.

All the Jose Andre places are really good for a start and take everything really seriously. Lebanese Taverna and Cava are both pretty good with both gluten and lactose, I would imagine they could handle the soy too, but call. Dino is kind of the temple of wonderfulness in this category and Dean is just amazing, amazing, amazing! If this restaurant was closer to my house I would be there all the time. Blacksalt is REALLY good. I don't know about the other Black's locations, but I know Blacksalt is. Society Fair and Restaurant Eve both, although with Eve some advance planning makes it even better. Willow is really great with some advance notice. CityZen. I think the more involved a chef is in sourcing and having honest ingredients the better luck you have. I know there are more I just need to think on it. For causal I think District taco is normally pretty good about knowing exactly what goes into everything, Chipotle is surprisingly good with allergies. Bayou Bakery. (sorry a lot is VA focused because that is where I live) It seems like a burden, but you kind of get a list down, and then an advance call can normally secure some great stuff! Now and then I crave something really specific and sometimes people can make that work.

I recently vacationed at the Omni in Bedford Springs, which was amazingly good too! (They even made a different plate of sweets at tea so I got to have good stuff too!)

At Tabard, we are well versed in accommodating guests with allergies (I am AllerTrain certified). Please talk with your server or the manager on duty and they would be happy to review the menu with you. We cook from scratch so it's easy to tell you whether something has soy or dairy.

• Like 1

When I was at the Corcoran uncorked event we had a really nice chat with the chefs from Liberty Tree, Poste and Firefly. They all mentioned that they were more than happy to cook for anyone with any sort of allergy, all but Poste said that a day or two heads up and they could do just about any allergy, the chef at Poste said just to tell the server you needed the chef to cook something for them without x,y and z and he would rather do it on the fly.

They were all just horribly nice.

I concur with all of the suggestions above. Dino is a haven for the gluten-sensitive, and I'm sure they can easily accommodate soy and dairy sensitivities. I've always had wonderful and "safe" meals at Bibiana as well.

Choices by Shawn specifically accommodates gluten sensitivity but it would be worth a call to ask about soy and dairy.

I've had some great safe meals at Blue Duck Tavern, and at Ray's the Steaks and Ray's to the Third, as well. And a recent dinner at Brasserie Beck was a success as well, for this gluten-avoider.

I'd imagine that it is hard to find prepared foods that are "safe." I've stopped trying Whole Foods prepared foods because even foods that don't contain any wheat or gluten ingredients have a great potential to be cross-contaminated. And they seem to use either soy oil or canola oil in EVERYTHING. :(

I think you're very smart to call ahead when you're planning to dine out. That really helps give a restaurant a fighting chance at accommodating your needs.

I think you're very smart to call ahead when you're planning to dine out. That really helps give a restaurant a fighting chance at accommodating your needs.

This can't be over-emphasized. Some (many?) restaurants sincerely do empathize and are very willing to accomodate different needs. For those that are, I think we diners have to help them help us. Obvious point I guess. Asking to redo a 12-course tasting menu on a busy Saturday night or getting frustrated with a server because the 24-hour marinade was done with dairy isn't fair. But calling ahead and trying to understand what the willing restaurant can do more easily without disrupting the kitchen too much can make a ton of difference in the response.

I'd also call out Grapeseed in Bethesda as a great spot also great for helping with allergies and other restrictions. Jeff is very willing to accommodate whatever request subject only to what's possible or viable while keeping all customers happy. All about having heart and mind in the right place I think. Grapeseed and the reccs above all do.

• Like 1

When I was at the Corcoran uncorked event we had a really nice chat with the chefs from Liberty Tree, Poste and Firefly. They all mentioned that they were more than happy to cook for anyone with any sort of allergy, all but Poste said that a day or two heads up and they could do just about any allergy, the chef at Poste said just to tell the server you needed the chef to cook something for them without x,y and z and he would rather do it on the fly.

They were all just horribly nice.

Ditto that--as I presented my allergies to them as well. And my list of allergies is pretty long and difficult. Soy included.

One of our favorite spots for celebrations is Palena. They have been phenomenal with handling my allergies. We recently ate at West End Bistro, and in the past Ris has been very accomodating as well. In all cases, I contact the restaurant several days in advance to send my list over and review options with the restaurant. And since I was with ktmoomau, I know for certain that Liberty Tree, Poste and Firefly will be added to my list of restaurants to try!

For meals with my extended famiy, Seasons 52 is really great. I'll reply with more options when I wake up a bit more this morning. Unfortunately, I ate something last night that was borderline for me (made by my husband...not at a restaurant) and had an allergy-laden difficult time waking up this morning. (My face is very puffy!)

We had a lovely lunch today at Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church--our first visit of many (we hope). Our server was very well-informed about gluten intolerance and was able to list the dishes on the menu that are gluten-free, and pledged to make sure my food would be "safe." He certainly delivered! There are so many great choices on the menu that I can't wait to go back.

A friend just mentioned today that the Chef Geoff restaurant group is extremely accommodating to food allergies (in general, the large chains tend to have this pretty well covered).

It's interesting. We ask (or at least consider asking) about this all the time. On one hand, I agree that many restaurants are great about about accommodating different allergies and that the number of such restaurants is growing significantly as different food-aversions (including allergies) become more commonplace. At the same time, however, I think still the case that most restaurants are not excited about doing this. The Post's food editor (Joe Yonan) piece two Sundays ago makes that pretty clear since he and TS were testing restaurant receptivity to vegetarianism, one of the more common requests along with gluten sensitivity/celiac disease, nut allergies and lactose intolerance. In defense of restaurants that are less accommodating, it's still a tough call whether the cost of tailoring a menu (i.e., special ingredients, separate equipment, more staff with different skills) will drive enough incremental revenue to be worthwhile for businesses that operate with pretty thin margins. On one hand, it seems only "right" to do whatever possible to meet the needs of paying customers. OTOH, it also seems fair that restaurants want to stay in business and often struggle to do irrespective of allergy accommodation. All said, the world is moving this way; no doubt about that with allergy incidence, diet-related medical conditions and "real food" awareness all on a steady upward trend.

Two thumbs up to T.H.A.I. in Shirlington where we happened to have lunch today. We were asked about spring rolls, Mr. lperry mentioned he couldn't have wheat, and the server asked if he needed gluten free. When he said he did, the server suggested he order something other than what he already asked for, and pointed out all the GF dishes on the menu. Poisoning avoided thanks to a quick server who was paying attention.

Edited to say - Mr. lperry orders the dish at another restaurant on a regular basis, and they don't use soy sauce. This restaurant does. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Indicating accomodating restaurants is great. It is also good to know what restaurants won't do much to accomodate.

But the worst is a "false positive" - being told that something's OK when it really isn't. Are there any restaurants of any kind (fast to fine) where there's a solid/known risk of danger? Basically, a blacklist for those with allergies?

What would you consider "solid/known?" Mr. lperry has gotten sick all four or five times he's eaten at a restaurant that claims to prepare the food he orders GF, but it could be oats in the mix (many don't take those into consideration), or cross-contamination from bread also used there. Is that a solid case? It's a tough call.

What would you consider "solid/known?" Mr. lperry has gotten sick all four or five times he's eaten at a restaurant that claims to prepare the food he orders GF, but it could be oats in the mix (many don't take those into consideration), or cross-contamination from bread also used there. Is that a solid case? It's a tough call.

If I had the same allergy and mentioned I was going to that restaurant - I'd really hope you'd relay your information. I'd call that solid/known and that's what I seek.

I understand the purpose of this site is not to blacklist restaurants. But it is a review site and "bad" is OK to say out loud, in fact appreciated. In the case of allergies - the difference between a good restaurant and a bad one isn't just opinion - it could be as serious as life and death. So while having a list of places that assist with allergies is valuable - a similar list of places that often get it wrong or say things and don't mean them...that seems invaluable.

• Like 1

If I had the same allergy and mentioned I was going to that restaurant - I'd really hope you'd relay your information. I'd call that solid/known and that's what I seek.

I understand the purpose of this site is not to blacklist restaurants. But it is a review site and "bad" is OK to say out loud, in fact appreciated. In the case of allergies - the difference between a good restaurant and a bad one isn't just opinion - it could be as serious as life and death. So while having a list of places that assist with allergies is valuable - a similar list of places that often get it wrong or say things and don't mean them...that seems invaluable.

This is tricky. On one hand, I agree with you, Jay. This is important stuff--vitally important for some. OTOH, inasmuch as some places can't or don't want to accommodate, their lack of mention on this thread (or a future list) achieves much the same thing. The case of a restaurant saying X but doing Y is a different honesty and transparency issue. Maybe in cases like that, the best way to deal with it is for members who know something about a positively mentioned restaurant to share it to help many others? Versus creating a list of those that don't since it's not usually black and white. Sometimes restaurants can "get it wrong" innocently given the chaos of many kitchens and the reliance on many staff who may not always do what they should without an owner's awareness. And, so many different allergies make it even more complicated. Maybe the list of "good" places along with all the offline knowledge we all have from our own experiences and word of mouth/other trusted sources achieves the same thing? Not entirely sure.

I'm ambivalent. Even the DC Celiac organization only posts a "safe" list. On the other hand, damage from gluten in people with celiac is cumulative and can lead to cancer. How about anyone worried can PM me and I'll tell you where the problem is?

• Like 2

This is tricky. On one hand, I agree with you, Jay. This is important stuff--vitally important for some. OTOH, inasmuch as some places can't or don't want to accommodate, their lack of mention on this thread (or a future list) achieves much the same thing. The case of a restaurant saying X but doing Y is a different honesty and transparency issue. Maybe in cases like that, the best way to deal with it is for members who know something about a positively mentioned restaurant to share it to help many others? Versus creating a list of those that don't since it's not usually black and white. Sometimes restaurants can "get it wrong" innocently given the chaos of many kitchens and the reliance on many staff who may not always do what they should without an owner's awareness. And, so many different allergies make it even more complicated. Maybe the list of "good" places along with all the offline knowledge we all have from our own experiences and word of mouth/other trusted sources achieves the same thing? Not entirely sure.

I'm ambivalent. Even the DC Celiac organization only posts a "safe" list. On the other hand, damage from gluten in people with celiac is cumulative and can lead to cancer. How about anyone worried can PM me and I'll tell you where the problem is?

I can certainly see where an organization would do this. But we're individuals.

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes since nearly birth and now at 12 years old we're starting to deal with allergies. So I haven't yet run into any problems - we're still kind of learning.

I guess the odd thing is...we'd generally post if a meal was unusually bad somewhere. We'd post if we were given bad service or a restaurant drops in quality - regardless of the cause. Why would we not indicate places that get allergies wrong for whatever reason?

With type 1, there isn't really a wrong answer - just degrees of help. So for instance, all of the Disney World restaurants/food outlets are super-helpful BUT will never release carb count information. It makes WDW pretty tough for someone on an insulin pump - and is important to know prior to going.

If there's a known chance a place can screw up a stated gluten-free requirement....and has done so multiple times...why not help others with the info? Non-celiacs probably won't care, and maybe the restaurant would take a look into the reasons why instead of us guessing why, or if they've improved.

I don't have any restaurants that I'd say are just 'bad' with allergies; I'm too new to the challenge. I suppose I'll find any bad ones over time.

• Like 1

I can certainly see where an organization would do this. But we're individuals.

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes since nearly birth and now at 12 years old we're starting to deal with allergies. So I haven't yet run into any problems - we're still kind of learning.

I guess the odd thing is...we'd generally post if a meal was unusually bad somewhere. We'd post if we were given bad service or a restaurant drops in quality - regardless of the cause. Why would we not indicate places that get allergies wrong for whatever reason?

With type 1, there isn't really a wrong answer - just degrees of help. So for instance, all of the Disney World restaurants/food outlets are super-helpful BUT will never release carb count information. It makes WDW pretty tough for someone on an insulin pump - and is important to know prior to going.

If there's a known chance a place can screw up a stated gluten-free requirement....and has done so multiple times...why not help others with the info? Non-celiacs probably won't care, and maybe the restaurant would take a look into the reasons why instead of us guessing why, or if they've improved.

I don't have any restaurants that I'd say are just 'bad' with allergies; I'm too new to the challenge. I suppose I'll find any bad ones over time.

Sorry I don't have time for a long reply, but suffice it to say feel free to contact me. If I have time after work I can post a more thoughtful response... I am a T1 since the age of 9, coming up on 43 years. I am on a pump and I have several food allergies that did not present until the last 6-7 yrs. Am always open to meet up for lunch or coffee to discuss.

One answer is that, since we're individuals, we each need to post whatever we're personally comfortable with.

But that's a crummy side effect, the allergies. I don't know much about this stuff, and I'm counting my blessings - I thought sure we had a Type One Diabetes thread somewhere, but I don't see it.

There is a list serv for DC area parents of kids with food allergies. I haven't been active recently (while I took the egg allergy seriously when he was quite small, I'm not as obsessive about the peanut allergy he has developed since) but I know there is quite a bit of sharing about which establishments take it seriously and which ones don't get it. Some parents wouldn't never eat out because nothing was safe enough for them. Others did and ended up in the emergency room during the kid's bar mitzvah...

Everyone agrees Disney is great about food allergies. I'm surprised to hear they won't help for diabetics. Shame on them.

I think saying that based on your comfort level with allergies to a, b and c, you wouldn't eat at x,y or z and why would be really helpful.

So in the spirit of that: we had a few allergy problems at Disney. When I made the reservations and had them note the peanut allergy, I received a lot of push back about including tree nuts. No, really. He isn't allergic to tree nuts and eats them daily. Per his doctor, we'll continue to do so. Related, at the Tusker House buffet the chef came out to show me what was safe and what wasn't. He would point and say nuts. And I'd ask peanuts or treenuts. Every single time. At the Magic Kingdom we did a dessert party at the Tomorrowland Terrace --none of the desserts were labeled and I wasn't 100 percent confident that the employees actually knew what anything was.

I can't think of anyplace local that we've had issues.

Everyone agrees Disney is great about food allergies. I'm surprised to hear they won't help for diabetics. Shame on them.

In fairness, they'll help in every other way with diabetes. I suspect at some point they decided that making carb counts available to guests must be more liability than help - as they just won't do it - and won't consistently. (Unless something's changed in the last few years). Many places will keep the info in a binder in the office or something like that, or maybe will say "OK, here's the carb count for the pasta that we use to make the dish..." but WDW won't do any of that. We began to make a game to ask every time, at every meal.

There was one exception. The manager at Beaches and Cream pulled out some of the packaging and helped us 'ballpark' a carb count on a few items. He chatted for a bit, then he showed us his insulin pump.

One answer is that, since we're individuals, we each need to post whatever we're personally comfortable with.

Agreed. I am ok with posting negative things about restaurants when I'm confident that the issue is objective - the food, service or experience was just bad in some way. I generally find more value in the positive posts - but occasionally a negative one will be helpful in making a dining decision.

Does anyone know a place that does dim sum without MSG? My husband has an MSG allergy, and he's had to stop coming to dim sum with us. Most Chinese places will tell us that they can do other items on their menu without MSG, but not dim sum. (Seven Seas did MSG-free Taiwanese dim sum, and we've been there, but we were hoping for regular Chinese dim sum: shrimp dumplings, turnip cakes, and the like -- Taiwanese turned out to be quite different. But I appreciate that they're MSG-free!).

I love that this thread has taken off. Looks like I'm not at all alone in my plight.

Two points to add. One is that I felt compelled to come here and compliment Teaism. A friend wants to meet there for lunch today so I called ahead. I am so impressed with how seriously they are taking my inquiries. A woman named Linda asked me about which menu items I was considering and is currently researching the ingredients to confirm that they are safe. The employee who answered the phone told me they used "Rice Bran Oil" when I asked, and having never heard of it I thought she was confused. Linda confirmed that it is what they use, and told me they are working to remove all soy from their menu because of GMO issues. They also have a separate gluten free menu and another allergen option I can't recall. How cool!

Second point is that about two years ago we went to Chef Geoff's for an office lunch. My coworker has a severe peanut allergy. He has had it all of his life and (foolishly) doesn't alert servers because he feels pretty comfortable identifying safe dishes. He ordered the jerk chicken which had nothing it the menu description that indicated it contained nuts. He had an immediate and serious reaction. Thanks to quick-acting coworkers (one who ran down the street for benadryl and another who had an epipen in her purse for her son), he was okay. My understanding is that the restaurant took care of his hospital expenses and was very apologetic. So imagine my surprise when I started this journey and my google search pulled up an article talking about dining out with allergies in different cities in the US and the one DC restaurant they cited was Chef Geoff's.

• Like 1

I had this on my smartphone for a while, and ultimately deleted it because I rarely used it. Most of the listings are for the large chains that offer a "gluten-free" menu. Users can recommend local restaurants to be added. I found it difficult to use on my little phone with limited memory. I usually plan my outings so that I know where I will be eating ahead of time, but in a crunch it might be helpful. YMMV

Would people with dangerous food allergies (and I'll define dangerous here as something that could potentially require medical treatment, possibly acute medical treatment) get together and form a committee, and report back on a "Top 10 List" that restaurants should look out for / ask about / be aware of?

Something like:

1) A single peanut can cause total throat closure which would require a tracheotomy.

2) etc.

Please form a committee, do the work behind the scenes, and come up with this list which could be most useful.

Thanks!

Rocks

Don--in allergic people, the immune system is capable of developing reactions to just about anything. I believe it is up to the individual sufferer to avoid, watch out, and inquire about personally allergenic ingredients, not for a restaurant to necessarily proactively eliminate them. The responsibility of a restaurant is for all of its employees who interact with the public to know what ingredients are in the dishes, or to inquire and get an accurate accounting.

That said, an allergist I visited years ago told me that walnuts were just about the most ubiquitous food allergy. So, tree nuts, peanuts (a legume), shellfish.

• Like 1

The Big 8 allergens cause 90% of allergies in the US.  They are: milk, egg, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat

It is important to note that an allergic reaction is usually fast, only takes a small amount and may cause anaphylactic shock.  Intollerence cause discomfort but will not cause shock.

Sometimes, guests misuse the word allergic when they mean intollerence (or just plain dislike).

P.S.  I took an excellent training class through Kitchens Wtih Confidence last year.   http://menutrinfo.com

Does anyone know a place that does dim sum without MSG? My husband has an MSG allergy, and he's had to stop coming to dim sum with us. Most Chinese places will tell us that they can do other items on their menu without MSG, but not dim sum. (Seven Seas did MSG-free Taiwanese dim sum, and we've been there, but we were hoping for regular Chinese dim sum: shrimp dumplings, turnip cakes, and the like -- Taiwanese turned out to be quite different. But I appreciate that they're MSG-free!).

Does he have a verified allergy to MSG, as in a doctor has tested? Or is it just an aversion to Chinese restaurants suspected of using MSG? For example, has he ever eaten dry aged steak and had a similar reaction?

http://seattlefreepress.org/2013/05/14/the-racist-myth-of-msg-and-chinese-restaurant-syndrome/

We had a lovely lunch today at Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church--our first visit of many (we hope).  Our server was very well-informed about gluten intolerance and was able to list the dishes on the menu that are gluten-free, and pledged to make sure my food would be "safe."  He certainly delivered! There are so many great choices on the menu that I can't wait to go back.

We've been to Pizzeria Orso several times since I wrote this post, with very uneven experiences.  Fact: We have enjoyed most of the food we have had there. Fact: I have never been glutened there.

If today had been my first visit, I would not go back, and I would not recommend it for folks with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

We were handed the brunch menu, which is very gluten-heavy.  I asked for the all-day menu, which I had previously been told should be available. The server responded that it was definitely not available, and those dishes hadn't even been prepped yet, "But you should find more gluten-free options on the brunch menu, anyway." With that, he walked away.  The only way he could have been less helpful to me would have been if he had recommended that I order pizza.

This was the opposite of previous experiences at Pizzeria Orso, in terms of the helpfulness and understanding of the servers. But it makes it very clear to me that training in dealing with food sensitivities is sorely lacking at this restaurant. I hope that will change, I and I plan to return when they are NOT offering their brunch menu. BTW: I had "steak and eggs" which turned out to be braised pork belly and eggs, with hash browns that were not disclosed on the menu or by our server under specific questioning.

• Like 1

He has a demonstrated sensitivity to MSG, not just an aversion.  It is not a dangerous allergy requiring an epipen (so I shouldn't have used the word 'allergy') but I assumed this thread could respond to food sensitivies beyond the most severe ones that lead to anaphylactic shock. He has a definite physiological reaction which is quite uncomfortable and disturbing.  He doesn't eat processed food with added MSG either, after having had reactions (I've never known him to eat dry aged steak so I can't speak to that) - it has nothing to do with an aversion to a type of restaurant.  I was specifically asking about Chinese restaurants because we like dim sum and he hasn't been able to join us for dim sum since he developed this sensitivity, and I called every dim sum place I could find and they all said they can make other dishes without MSG, but not the dim sum.

Does he have a verified allergy to MSG, as in a doctor has tested? Or is it just an aversion to Chinese restaurants suspected of using MSG? For example, has he ever eaten dry aged steak and had a similar reaction?

http://seattlefreepress.org/2013/05/14/the-racist-myth-of-msg-and-chinese-restaurant-syndrome/

I have food allergies and the worst part is I don't know what to. Therefore I am on a stupid 6 food elimination diet.  I post here because I'd like some updates on what others are experiencing.  Here's what I've experienced so far in chronological order:

Central:  Went for a business lunch and called in advance so I could stealthily have an allergen-free lunch. They made a big huge deal out of accommodating me which I found a tad embarrassing. However, the food was terrific!  Bacon was involved.

SouperGirl:  This new take-out place on M street south of Dupont is vegan and kosher. It also lists all the major food allergies in the products. I love soup, salad, and just wish  they'd sell a side of boiled shrimp. (I know...shrimp: not vegan, not kosher).

Muscle Bar Ballston: I go because it's close. It is loud as a rock opera during happy hour. I ordered a chopped salad sans cheese: great. I ordered the scallop appetizer which the waiter told me could be allergen free. I'm guessing the pea puree could not be dairy free so stir-fried green beans were substituted. Fantastic coupled with the sautéed browned mushrooms in jus.  I also think that the kitchen increased the size of the appetizer. It was substantial.  This was actually the best meal I've had there although my husband's muscles were bland IMHO and yes, I had one, butter be damned.

Vidalia: I told hostess about my allergy ready to have a conversation with her about options and she said "the waiter will tell you the options." he did and basically said I could have almost anything modified. Beat Salad sans cheese was very well done. I also had the seafood stew which was fantastic. I didn't even miss the butter that should probably have been in there.

Please give me some more options. I live in ARL and work downtown at about M&CT NW.

(for those of you who know about the 6 elim diet and note that I am eating seafood, I offer this: I cannnot possibly do all 6 foods and not die. I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and hated life. not good)

• Like 1

What are the things you are currently avoiding?  I live in your area and eat gluten and lactose free most of the time, so probably would have some recs for you.

I would love recommendations.  I am currently avoiding nuts, peanuts, tree-nuts, wheat, milk and milk-products, and eggs. I tried avoiding soy and fish/shellfish but couldn't do it. I suspect a dairy allergy because I keep accidentally eating it and my throat closes up.  Terrible.

• Like 1

That is definitely a lot to have to focus on, good luck with that.  The nut thing is what throws me off a bit.  I can tell you that Eventide, Liberty Tavern (with a heads up they have me marked in my opentable profile) have both been great.  Willow is awesome, especially with wheat because they have the Wheatless Willow goods they sell at the Ballston Farmer's Market too.  I find Mexican food is normally very easy to eat wheatless and dairy-less with all the corn products, as long as they aren't frying something in a nut oil I would think it would avoid a lot of what you are trying to avoid so long as you ask for no crema or cheese, etc.  As chains go Chipotle is very easy to avoid a lot of allergens.  Rustico tries to be pretty sensitive although they did poison me once.  I try to go to places where they are pretty honest about what is in their products, so I avoid chains that aren't good with food labeling or places that use a lot of pre-made products.  As they tend to be sneakier.  Dean Gold and Dino are always super great as Dean pays really close attention to those sorts of things.  Cava and all the Jose Andre restaurants are also very allergy sensitive.  It's very easy when you start eating no dairy to accidentally eat it, it's in everything.  Black Restaurant Groups are very good too.  I find Carribean Grille is great for the pollo and many of their sides, but I don't know what type of oils they use for the nut aspect. Anyway Mexican food is your friend.  Will try to keep thinking of places, I have figured out what dishes I can eat at so many places that I don't really think about it anymore, plus treatment for my lyme disease is taking away a lot of my digestive problems. 

• Like 2

NolaCaine, you haven't seen my list of allergies yet! I do work nearby you by Farragut Square.

Most places will modify what you need. Have you tried being tested for allergens yet? I don't think I've encountered anyone allergic to all the allergen categories and it seems pretty limiting to avoid all of them at once. For me, I'll contact a restaurant well in advance of dining and email my list, so I can review with the restaurant and they can have a heads up on what modifications will need to be made.

I used to work closer to you, and a few of the places I would frequent have closed. :( But also know that there are many options, with food trucks as well.  Most places I go I can eyeball a menu and eliminate the difficult items and quiz about ingredients I may not be aware of, and then work around it.

For downtown, are you looking for eat-in lunch spots or carry out? Or dinner places?

• Like 1

I will head over to Eventide. It's been a long while.

Downtown: I'd love suggestions for S. Dupont/N. of Farragut Sq.  for lunch but anywhere around downtown would work. While I'm on this stupid elimination diet (soy, nuts, peanuts, milk, egg, wheat) I find business lunches a challenge. I don't want to bring attention to this and never want to make a fuss while in a business meal. The consequence is, however, embarrassing.  I can't swallow at all. (insert joke here).

Anyway, the only item that I find difficult to avoid is dairy. Most of the other allergens are pretty obvious from the description on the menu. Butter, my dear love, is in everything.  Cream magically appears and makes me weep because I KNOW it is going to be amazing but not swallowing is not fun and also is embarrassing.

Thanks for the above suggestion that Mexican/S. American is my friend. Yes!  I'm also eating Asian food all varieties.

Only 2 more weeks until introduction phase. I've decided to test dairy with a chocolate milk shake and this shrimp linguini dish I make that's basically shrimp scampi plus cream.  Or I might just go to Eventide and eat everything cream based all at once.  I have time to fantasize and plan.

Did I just overshare?

I will head over to Eventide. It's been a long while.

Downtown: I'd love suggestions for S. Dupont/N. of Farragut Sq.  for lunch but anywhere around downtown would work. While I'm on this stupid elimination diet (soy, nuts, peanuts, milk, egg, wheat) I find business lunches a challenge. I don't want to bring attention to this and never want to make a fuss while in a business meal. The consequence is, however, embarrassing.  I can't swallow at all. (insert joke here).

Anyway, the only item that I find difficult to avoid is dairy. Most of the other allergens are pretty obvious from the description on the menu. Butter, my dear love, is in everything.  Cream magically appears and makes me weep because I KNOW it is going to be amazing but not swallowing is not fun and also is embarrassing.

Thanks for the above suggestion that Mexican/S. American is my friend. Yes!  I'm also eating Asian food all varieties.

Only 2 more weeks until introduction phase. I've decided to test dairy with a chocolate milk shake and this shrimp linguini dish I make that's basically shrimp scampi plus cream.  Or I might just go to Eventide and eat everything cream based all at once.  I have time to fantasize and plan.

Did I just overshare?

I was on my elimination diet for 10 months, though I was only dairy and soy free. As I stated in my opening post, I am a big fan of Ceiba. I was so impressed with the waiter there (I ate there numerous times). He knew every possible allergen and really worked with me to help create meals I could eat. I imagine they are all trained as well. Hamilton was also good - I called ahead and spoke to a chef there. I don't know if you're avoiding soybean oil, like I was, but that is what they use in their fryers (like most restaurants), so keep that in mind.

Another idea is sushi. You can go pretty straight forward with nigiri and sashimi if you are okay with fish and rice. I like Kaz Sushi Bistro, personally.

For more casual meals, I was extremely impressed with Teasim. The manager (Penn Quarter) I spoke to was extremely conscientious and helpful. I called ahead and knew exactly what I could eat.

Also, if you find yourself in the VA burbs, check out Pizzeria Orso. They were amazingly accommodating. They make pretty much everything in house, from breads to dressings, so you don't have to worry about hidden ingredients. Yes, I know pizza implies dairy, but they have a lot of other choices other than pizza, and even have a tasty no-cheese pizza.

Nooshi might be a good option near your office, but you would have to be careful about the nuts, they have sushi too.  Kabob places are someplace I can normally safely go- meat, rice, veg etc, that would also include a lot of greek/mediteranean spots.  Eating out if you choose seafood places you can ask for olive oil and lemon instead of butter and you just seem like a normal health conscious person.  Rice bowl near your office might work well, it's casual.  Dairy is tough I mean, it's in baked goods even.  A call in advance for a business dinner often means you at least know what dishes you can order off the regular menu or maybe they can plan and it isn't quite as embarrassing.  And as lame as it sounds once you find a place stick with it so maybe they will remember what you can and can't have.  

I have mine and my fiancee's food allergies in Open Table. The difference between good service and great service to me is when the server has reviewed the profile and tells me what my allergies are, instead of me having to tell them. Places that have met this bar include: Inn at Little Washington, Fiola Mare, Bartlett Pear Inn. With that said, I have really only had one or two bad experiences that I can recall. One was at Bourbon Steak and the other was at L'Auberge Chez Francois.

Thanks all.

I have not had many problems except oceanaire (downtown). Every carb had wheat or butter in it. THey were not at all accommodating but seems like they can't in real time. Maybe that was the problem. I had baked fish with evoo and a side of fries.  And a side salad.  Not bad but I wanted rice or something not fried.

Thought I'd just post that update since most establishments at least try to be helpful and they were not.