Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

My second and final guess; TKO burger.

No, but damned if you haven't impressed me.

Hint: You might not think this place is named for boxing, but that's because many people don't realize the name is an abbreviation for a boxing term.

Also, I had some pretty disappointing ramen tonight - especially disappointing considering where I had it.

Drinks at The Pug followed by ramen at Toki?

Yes, followed by new-found respect for reedm's knowledge of boxing-themed establishments (who knew there were three in DC?); Josh, my respect for you is long-standing.

(I'm pretty sure "The Pug" is an abbreviation for "The Pugilist" - if you look on the walls there, there are old pictures of boxers - as well as a few of pug canines. There's also a doorway between The Pug and Toki Underground that opens up at 5 PM, so you don't have to go outside to get from one to the other (it saves you about three seconds of walking time).)

Tony Tomelden owns The Pug, and given that his father was half-Filipino, I assume he'll be pulling for Manny Pacquiao. :)

"Oscar de la Hoya: My Pick To Win The Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight" by Oscar de la Hoya on latimes.com

This is a great one and I have NO idea what the answer is but am very much intrigued. The mashed potatoes and stewed green beans look atrocious, but I am guessing tasted good. The creamed corn and the shortbread with berries look too damn good to be someplace shabby. And that looks like meatloaf with mushroom gravy, not a combo you would find at a dump.

Also, that looks like a decent wood table underneath. Can you just PM me the answer?

• Like 1

This is a great one and I have NO idea what the answer is but am very much intrigued. The mashed potatoes and stewed green beans look atrocious, but I am guessing tasted good. The creamed corn and the shortbread with berries look too damn good to be someplace shabby. And that looks like meatloaf with mushroom gravy, not a combo you would find at a dump.

Also, that looks like a decent wood table underneath. Can you just PM me the answer?

Not meatloaf.  The green beans were reviled by both Mr. BLB and BL-2nd grader.

Look at the blueberries and mushroom sauce, though. My first guess was something like a "blue-plate special" at somewhere like Family Meal - maybe not Family Meal itself, but a place that tries to use that type of shtick. There are hints of quality throughout this tray (scratch biscuits; pork in the green beans; black pepper in the mac and cheese); the thing that worries me the most is the mashed potatoes, because they look instant, but that doesn't mean they are. A prison cafeteria isn't going to be serving a side of gravy in a tin.

Hmmm, I know Green Pig does meals on trays, but there's are a different color.  I think Ted's Bulletin also does that, so I am going to guess Ted's Bulletin.

Winner, winner, TV Dinner.

(Thursday special at Ted's Bulletin, Gaithersburg-- salisbury steak, mushroom sauce, 3 berry cobbler, creamed corn, green beans and mashed potatoes.  BL-2nd grader ordered it and reportedly liked everything but the green beans and corn.)

Winner, winner, TV Dinner.

(Thursday special at Ted's Bulletin, Gaithersburg-- salisbury steak, mushroom sauce, 3 berry cobbler, creamed corn, green beans and mashed potatoes.  BL-2nd grader ordered it and reportedly liked everything but the green beans and corn.)

Maybe a better question moved to the Ted's thread but I'm curious to learn how Mr. BlB liked it, given the abuse his place has taken on that thread.

What is that dish?!? It looks like something from a bad Sci-Fi movie.

Jonathan,

This was sweetened condensed milk custard topped with soft and crunchy meringue and passion fruit.

^^ China Chilcano!

Our meal was bad there, so we didn't get to stay for dessert. Long waits for dishes and 2 things were sent back.

You got it. The food overall was fine, but nothing really stood out; that's my general attitude towards Andres' cuisine, although I have yet to try Minibar.

If I may ... thinking it *was* cheese would absolutely take the guesser down the wrong path, is that correct?

You are correct, sir.  Dino was actually a good guess given the simple preparation/presentation of seasonal produce, but the flavor profile/ethnicity of the cuisine is different.

Peter Chang's?

You're on the right continent now, but sadly I have yet to have the pleasure of eating Chef Chang's food.  While he's opening restaurants all over creation, he should make a stop on H St. NE.

Close. It's beef.

You know ...

I was going, 'Pork, beef, pork, beef, pork, beef, pork, beef, pork, beef' literally for about five minutes, and even went so far as to explain why I thought it was pork instead of beef. 'Nah,' I decided. 'John's the new kid on the block. I'll project an air of confidence.' And I ended up botching the most basic of things. Sheesh.

I just didn't see enough granular texture for it to be beef, darn it - it was the pieces in the middle that swayed me because they look very soft.

When I've been to restaurants at Eden Center that I *didn't* like, I've often walked out saying to myself, "That dish could have just as easily been Chinese." That's why I think it might be a Vietnamese restaurant - the dried noodles say Vietnam to me, but the sauteed beef says Chinese, so I I'll guess that it's a Vietnamese restaurant (just in case it wasn't clear that I was implying that before).

As to *where*, that's going to be one tough cookie. You mentioned you were from Alexandria, but also listed restaurants in both Virginia and DC that you frequent, so that doesn't help much - I had originally thought Bangkok 54, but then looked at their menu and saw nothing that looked like it might be this (in case you're wondering, I'm not that confident that in my Vietnamese guess (I considered Chinese, Thai (where are the basil, peppers, etc.) and even Japanese (too heavy of a sauce)), but the dry egg noodles are ultimately leading me down the Vietnamese path). I thought about what types of Asian restaurants I've gotten dishes that look like this, and visualized mashing up the dish so that everything gets mixed together (which is what I do before attacking a plate such as this), and honestly came up blank. I remember having done it in the past, numerous times, and can even picture myself mixing it all; I just can't picture where. I can remember doing this with a Mee Krob appetizer at Soi 38, but there was much more stuff in that dish, and this definitely isn't that.

I'm guessing a simple Vietnamese restaurant because there isn't much adornment, and (just to be honest) it doesn't look super-high quality or fancy; just basic - and when you reveal, I'd love to know the name of the dish in whatever native language it turns out to be.

• Like 1

It is indeed Vietnamese. Some hints: it's one of the most popular places in its immediate surrounding area. It is packed at almost all times of day. The Vietnamese diners outnumber the rest. It is a family-run place (this might be just giving away).

As for the dish, I ordered it after the Vietnamese family behind me had their meal delivered and I told my server "I'm having what they're having."

• Like 1

Four Sisters?  Based only on your most recent hints since the dish doesn't especially look like Four Sisters to me.  But, packed all times of the day? They do tend to be that.

ETESuI5.jpg

The dish was Mi Bo. Nothing fancy but at that particular moment it was exactly what my taste buds needed.

• Like 2

ETESuI5.jpg

The dish was Mi Bo. Nothing fancy but at that particular moment it was exactly what my taste buds needed.

Wow.  I've been playing this game for years and NEVER win (except when Don does an occasional gimme  :D ).  I've been to Four Sisters more times than I can count but never noticed a dish like that.  You were very generous with your hints. The "family run part also.

Suggestion for the Uber Mod:  Prizes for WDID? winners?  Just for this weekend in honor of...oh, I don't know...the Caps?  Mothers' Day?  :D

• Like 1