Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'll let people know when they're correct - will answer any questions if people need hints. What do people think of how it looks?

Looks like old, dry, reheated brisket. Interested to know where it is so I don't have to go there. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:31 PM, ktmoomau said:

I wouldn't have even started it.  That just doesn't look right.

You almost expect to see green streaks going through it, like in a puddle of oil in a parking lot, right? But I'm telling you, it was better than it looks (which admittedly isn't saying much).

Also, be aware that I ordered 12 ounces of brisket, and this was probably 45 minutes into the meal - I probably had nearly a half-pound before taking this picture because I hadn't eaten all day, exercised earlier, and was *starving*.

On 2/19/2017 at 4:29 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

I love the revival of this thread, which is probably my all time favorite DR thread.

I just checked my phone to see if I had anything I could post to keep it going but realized in recent weeks I seem to only take photos of my cocktails. 

Good! Then where did I dine?

IMG_3092.jpg

• Like 1

Where did I dine?

More specifically (and fairly, because I know of only one person here who might guess the restaurant), what is it, and how much did I pay for it?

(To put things in perspective, note the size of the tongs on the fork.)

IMG_3121.jpg

PS - Don't worry about the price question; I mistakenly thought it had cost $10 more than it did, and I had smoke coming out of my nostrils. :)

11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where did I dine?

More specifically (and fairly, because I know of only one person here who might guess the restaurant), what is it, and how much did I pay for it?

IMG_3121.jpg

PS - Don't worry about the price question; I mistakenly thought it had cost $10 more than it did, and I had smoke coming out of my nostrils. :)

Looks pretty terrible. Steak Frite of some sort? 

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Where did I dine?

IMG_3121.jpg

Bearnaise?

20 minutes ago, JimCo said:

The Publican? I adore that place, but have no idea what that dish is.

Yes. I didn't love what I had there - this was the Dry-Aged Sirloin. When I first typed in the post, I thought I had paid $31 for it and I was *livid* (it was only $21) - I was also almost sure there were only four little slivers of steak (my dining companion thinks so too), but the picture sure looks like there were five. Either way, it was a tiny little dish - those little rectangles of steak were two very small bites each (I mean, look at them compared to the fork tongs), and the dish was sauced to death. We also had the Roasted Mushroom dish, and the two were about the same size.

The bottle of red wine I ordered was served at about 75 degrees, too ... grrrrrr.

On 2/27/2017 at 10:41 AM, Al Dente said:

It was a super delicious kinda brunchy dish. Pork belly was involved. Not pictured is the fried egg which I had already consumed.

Edited to add: Fried egg.

In case anyone is interested, it was Mintwood Place. Pork belly hash-- I loved it!

On 5/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, Simul Parikh said:

I'm a little offended that nobody has appropriated Indian food yet. Feel like the red headed stepchild. Andy Ricker - go to Kerala or Punjab or Gujarat and make it happen!

Where did I dine?

IMG_3230.jpgIMG_3234.jpgIMG_3233.jpg

Good guesses, but no (I wouldn't have quoted you had it been Bindass).

Okay, here's another hint: The leftmost dish is Poke.

My dad used to tell the most *lame* jokes, all in his booming baritone voice.

A tourist was traveling in Hawaii, and approached a native.

Tourist: "Excuse me, sir, I've always wondered: Is the correct pronunciation "Hawaii," or "Havaii?"

Native: "Havaii."

Tourist: "I see. Thank you!"

Native: "You're Velcome."

4 hours ago, reedm said:

Is the second dish Onion Bhaji?

It's Pakora.

3 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Hula Girl?

I *knew* someone would guess Hula Girl - this restaurant is better than that.

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Rasika West End?

This is a good guess too, but I quoted Simul for a reason.

Here's another hint: There was only one more Indian-influenced dish on the menu that I saw, and I ordered these dishes specifically because I remembered Simul's post.

Honestly, I think the best clue is the julienned carrots as garnish.

Notice also the top-left corner of the same photo: That's a pencil eraser.

2 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Well... Sea Pearl chef isn't quite Andy Ricker, but those apps looks really delish!

They are - and such a good value at happy hour, too, that you really can't go wrong. The Tandoori Chicken was surprisingly good - it makes me wonder if they might have a real tandoor (granted, it was a couple little skewers for five bucks, but the yogurt-based sauce was really something - I couldn't finish it).

The Pani Puri (or whatever you'd call the Poke) were mushy, but tuna and avocado is a mushy combo by nature - I'm also used to a much less viscous spoon-in liquid than they serve. It's well-worth a happy hour visit - don't forget the Cumin Lamb and Naan, which I didn't try).

They have top necks for $1 each, which were quite good if disparately sized - you don't see them that often, because they're considered close to being chowder clams. I asked, and was told the oysters were "Chesapeake," which I assume means Rappahannock - I love the concept of supporting Rappahannock, but I'm not a big fan of large, ultra-briny oysters (I tend to have a strong preference for cold-water, Pacific oysters, but almost paradoxically, also tend to enjoy really chewy clams). The Chilean Sea Bass skewers were also a repeat, although I actually preferred the chicken - next time, I get the Cumin Lamb instead of the Chilean Sea Bass.

I really do think Indian influence is more pervasive than is acknowledged, or at least becoming that way - don't feel forlorned. I see it a fair amount, and will make a point to mention when I do. I remember that Michael Hartzer was serving his version of Dosa at Indebleu, which I vaguely recall containing some sort of blue cheese, of all things - I don't remember liking it.

Sea Pearl is truly Pan-Asian, and one restaurant that seems to get a little better as the years go by; not that I have a ton of experience with it - I went right when it opened, and have been *maybe* five times.

If you can tolerate super-dry wine, that Vinho Verde really pulled everything together - with the sweetness of the taramind chutney, the poke, the Vietnamese sugary liquids, etc., the pairing was just about perfect.

25 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

(obviously too easy)

I may be unfairly advantaged, given how often we eat there and how much I love that green sauce.  :D  It pushes us to order the deviled eggs more than we might otherwise, and we also ask for a side of it whenever we get the salt cod croquettes.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jca76 said:

I may be unfairly advantaged, given how often we eat there and how much I love that green sauce.  :D  It pushes us to order the deviled eggs more than we might otherwise, and we also ask for a side of it whenever we get the salt cod croquettes.  

I too am a fool for that sauce - and thank you for the idea of getting it with the croquettes!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rovers2000 said:

I too am a fool for that sauce - and thank you for the idea of getting it with the croquettes!

Second on the green sauce/croquettes.  I have been smearing the red sauce that comes with the potato frittata on the croquettes.

• Like 1