The Bagelry, Vital Way in Colesville

No, that's the way Pho used to be, until I started splitting posts which talked *only* about individual restaurants, into individual restaurant threads. Posts that compare more than one can go into the Pho (or Bagels) thread. (To me, and my database-oriented mind, that's a very logical way of dividing things, especially if there are pointers to the posts which have been split off so we don't lose continuity of conversation.)

Gotcha. So, does that Silver Spring "The Bagelry " place boil the bagels? Are they posers? Maybe good posers but still posers? :D

Dean Gold would know; I could only guess based on the store layout. Here's their website.

Will be interested to see what Dean thinks. Quick look at the website makes me skeptical. The three ways that 99.9% of the thousands of bagel shops in the US shortcut things to produce rolls with holes in them are to a) not proof the dough since that takes time (generally 12 hours), b ) not boil the bagels since that takes some equipment, more time, more skill and floorspace and c) ingredients (especially the flour which needs to be a high-gluten variety).

The Bagelry used to boil their bagels for sure then they sold. I only have been twice since and I dont recall if they still boil, but the lunch meats went down hill. I used to go and get tongue on rye and have stopped. Maybe a trip is warrented so see if they ahve settles in and improved.

The Bagelry used to boil their bagels for sure then they sold. I only have been twice since and I dont recall if they still boil, but the lunch meats went down hill. I used to go and get tongue on rye and have stopped. Maybe a trip is warrented so see if they ahve settles in and improved.

If they boiled them, and sold to another owner, it wouldn't make sense not to leave the boiler behind.

If they boiled them, and sold to another owner, it wouldn't make sense not to leave the boiler behind.

Sure it would. I'm surprised you'd say that, Don. A bagel boiler takes up space. It has to be maintained. It requires a bit more training for staff than if it wasn't present. And 90% of the market wouldn't know the difference if they just got rid of it. If the lunch meats have gone downhill as Dean reports, I'd bet a bagel breakfast at Georgetown that your Silver Spring spot is no longer proofing or boiling. Sadly, part of the bigger trend about which we've all written extensively here on the site.

Sure it would. I'm surprised you'd say that, Don. A bagel boiler takes up space. It has to be maintained. It requires a bit more training for staff than if it wasn't present. And 90% of the market wouldn't know the difference if they just got rid of it. If the lunch meats have gone downhill as Dean reports, I'd bet a bagel breakfast at Georgetown that your Silver Spring spot is no longer proofing or boiling. Sadly, part of the bigger trend about which we've all written extensively here on the site.

Color me interested, darkstar. Would you start another thread in S&C that details the process of making a bagel? I, for one, don't know the options (other than the "Koslow Method" of trucking them in from St. Viateur. :)) Same with pizza dough - DanielK tried to explain various ways to me last night, and my eyes began to glaze over. One thing's for sure: If I don't know, then 90% of the folks here don't know, maybe more than that. A very straightforward primer (which could be simply pointed to if it's found somewhere else on the internet) would be a most welcome friend. I'd study it like a textbook, and would consider it quite valuable. Please consider doing one, or pointing to one, in its own thread?

Cheers,

Rocks

Color me interested, darkstar. Would you start another thread in S&C that details the process of making a bagel? I, for one, don't know the options (other than the "Koslow Method" of trucking them in from St. Viateur. :)) Same with pizza dough - DanielK tried to explain various ways to me last night, and my eyes began to glaze over. One thing's for sure: If I don't know, then 90% of the folks here don't know, maybe more than that. A very straightforward primer (which could be simply pointed to if it's found somewhere else on the internet) would be a most welcome friend. I'd study it like a textbook, and would consider it quite valuable. Please consider doing one, or pointing to one, in its own thread?

Cheers,

Rocks

Done.