Brooklyn Bagel Bakery, Courthouse - Kettle Boiled Bagels on Wilson Blvd.

What about Brooklyn Bagels in Courthouse? According to their website, they "kettle boil" their bagels. http://www.brooklynbagelva.com/home.html

Overall, I like Brooklyn Bagels. Bagels generally chewy but I've had a bagel on occasion that was on the harder side, almost like it wasnt fresh. I haven't been to Georgetown Bagels for comparison.

We eat them because they are close and easy to get. I think they let them rise too much since they can turn into an overgrown plump mess, and they tend to let some truely ugly misshapen bagels into the bin. They can be decent (if uneven), but are no match for Georgetown (or Capital City) bagels.

We eat them because they are close and easy to get. I think they let them rise too much since they can turn into an overgrown plump mess, and they tend to let some truely ugly misshapen bagels into the bin. They can be decent (if uneven), but are no match for Georgetown (or Capital City) bagels.

Interesting. Haven't tried Brooklyn but dcs sounds like (s)he's using a similar bagel scale to the one I use. Definitely will try Capital City soon.

On the rise, I'd guess the issue there is either the flour they're using (not high-gluten which, while more expensive, keeps the bagels dense, chewy and not like bread as they're supposed to be) or issues with portioning yeast or timing/temperature. More on all that, of course, can be found here. ;)

Another peeve. They put sunflower seeds on the everything bagels. Not cool.

On a postive note, they have a separate line for folks just buying bagels and cream cheese so you can avoid the long line of folks who want sandwiches and bagels smeared by the staff. I can get in and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning in less than 2 minutes.

As an aside, the first bagelry I ever went to had only two types: plain and salt. The fact that an everything bagel even exists is a questionable practice. Watson Bagel.

Another useless fact: In his book Restaurant Man, Joe Bastianich claims to have invented the everything bagel.

Huh. I agree, sunflower seeds are out there for an everything bagel (despite the name). It's been a while since I've had an everything bagel from there but don't recall the seeds back then.

Today, I had an everything bagel at Brooklyn bagel and there was not a single sunflower seed on it.

Another peeve.  They put sunflower seeds on the everything bagels.  Not cool.

On a postive note, they have a separate line for folks just buying bagels and cream cheese so you can avoid the long line of folks who want sandwiches and bagels smeared by the staff.  I can get in and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning in less than 2 minutes.

As an aside, the first bagelry I ever went to had only two types:  plain and salt.  The fact that an everything bagel even exists is a questionable practice.  Watson Bagel.

Another useless fact:  In his book Restaurant Man, Joe Bastianich claims to have invented the everything bagel.

I stopped off for a late lunch today:  I almost never go down there.  One of the staff that has been there the entire time they've been there was working and we chatted.  It turns out I've probably been going there since shortly after they opened and I met the operators and original staff from a friend who knew them.  ....so I guess I'm an "old timer" with them.

They opened in 2001.  Good for them.  15 years.  It aint easy to last that length of time....its tough for any restaurant/food operator to stay open that long; the failure rate is huge.  The staffer said "we have the best bagels in the area".   well...I don't know about that...but I grew up with bagels....and I think they are AMONG the best bagels in the area.   Among the best bagels is pretty good and good enuff for me.

I referenced that I never go there on Saturdays or Sundays b/c they are so crowded....and they are.  LONG LINES.  He mentioned as DCS referenced above there is a separate line for "regulars" on weekends and they'll get you through faster.  Good to note.   Frankly any half way good bagel place in this region is crowded on weekends...and its been that way for years.

...and as to lunch...I had a meatball sub and fries with a coke.  Sub-> meh....but those fresh cooked fries were great.  Eat em up fast before they cool off.  Those are tasty terrificly fried devils nicely spiced and very crunchy.  Also good to know.

• Like 1

If you can get a fresh french toast bagel at this place... man oh man, is it good.  Don't go for the pre-shrink wrapped ones though, it's a bit link Kirspy Kreme, the french toast must be fresh from the oven.

I always found the staff to be a bit surly, even though I used to stop here in 3-4 days a week.

If you can get a fresh french toast bagel at this place... man oh man, is it good.  Don't go for the pre-shrink wrapped ones though, it's a bit link Kirspy Kreme, the french toast must be fresh from the oven.

I always found the staff to be a bit surly, even though I used to stop here in 3-4 days a week. 

When I first met them it was through a mutual friend whom we both liked.  They've always been nice to me and it must have been b/c of that contact.  I've watched them during busy hours.  I don't see "happy jolly faces" and joking when they are busy...but when these local bagel places are busy...they don't have time for small talk and pleasantries.  The lines are long.

When the staff gets busy, they really get slammed and don't have time to be chatty, but I'm always found them nice. Off-peak, I've had really nice conversations with Moe (who I think is either the owner or the manager).

We've been going there (not as often as we should) for the past 15 years.  They have a catering menu as well - we had them cater a huge post-bar mitzvah brunch at our house (not on-site, but worked out the catering with them a couple months before and picked up the food that morning).  Besides bagels and cream cheese, they provided platters of whitefish salad, lox, cold cuts and cheese, salad (they have a choice of many, I really like their "fruit and nut" one), pickles (they have great pickles - I always get them), and rugelach. We've done pick-up of smaller amounts from them for smaller get-togethers - just place a pre-order the day before (at an off-peak hour -- it's harder to get them on the phone at peak times) and arrange a pick-up time.

• Like 1

59cbc75913571_brooklynbagelbakery.jpg.fac67666e116b8dce1922749a0ca95e3.jpg

I saw this photo in FB.  The story connected to it stated that a customer/Iraq War vet gave the flag to the store.  The flag had at one time flown over a section of the Pentagon.  The Vet thought that the team at Brooklyn Bagel personify the American dream in working hard.

I love it.  I've probably been a customer for over 15 years or pretty soon after they opened.  I know someone who knew the operators and was introduced to them early on.  While not a high volume customer I've been there enough and from an early enough stage that the operators and I know one another and chat.

I think these guys are from either Morocco or Tunisia.  I forget which nation.  They make good bagels and their bagels have been consistent over the period that they have been operating.  I'm not a taste comparison/test bagel expert, but I have been eating them my entire life, have eaten bagels from some of the well known bagel places in the NY area. 

These are good IMHO.  Among the better bagels in the DC region.  Not the best but among the best.  Referencing some comments above some bagels come out misshapen.   hmmm I've eaten misshapen bagels going back to my earliest years.  I find nothing wrong with that.  I think of it as sort of "authentic". 

The operators do work hard.  7 days a week.  I believe now 17 years in operation.  That alone is an accomplishment.  They are nice.

Frankly I love the act and symbol connected with their team receiving a flag from a veteran of the war in Iraq.  More so in this time and day with all of the culture war antagonism that floats around.   The Brooklyn Bagel team immigrated to the US, got involved in a small business, work hard, produce a good product, have survived and maybe flourished...but mostly they have survived as a long term food business.  That is an accomplishment. 

I frankly can't find anything more American.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, DaveO said:

These are good IMHO.  Among the better bagels in the DC region.  Not the best but among the best.  Referencing some comments above some bagels come out misshapen.   hmmm I've eaten misshapen bagels going back to my earliest years.  I find nothing wrong with that.  I think of it as sort of "authentic".

I think I used misshapen.  While I generally agree with your statement and sentiment, I draw the line at a bagel where one half of it looks like a bagel and the other half looks like a flagel.  Although not exactly common, this I have seen here.