Hawk 'n' Dove, 4th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue SE on Capitol Hill - Owner Xavier Cervera Back in the Saddle

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2013/04/03/xavier-cervera-sells-nine-restaurants-on-the-hill/

Xavier Cervera Sells Nine Restaurants
Posted by Jessica Sidman on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Y_H_hawkndove-1.jpg

Restaurateur Xavier Cervera will no longer be the restaurant king of Capitol Hill. He's selling his nine eateries to a Boston equity firm reportedly headed by his brother, the blog Capitol Hill Corner reports.

The restaurants included in the sale: Hawk 'n' Dove, Boxcar Tavern, The Chesapeake Room, Lola's, Pacifico Cantina, Senart's Oyster & Chop House, Molly Malone's as well as soon-to open Park Tavern and Willie's Brew and Que. Cervera has been considering the deal for some time.

"Not much to discuss. Great offer.. good timing.. experienced group," Cervera told Capitol Hill Corner. The blog reports that Cervera will continue to be involved in the management as a consultant.

I hadn't been able to bear coming back in here, but I met up with friends a few weeks ago at The Hawk for a pre-dinner drink before going to Sushi Capitol.  Having dipped a toe in the water, I stopped in last night for a cheap bar food dinner.  It is still possible to do that here, which was a tiny surprise given all the shininess.

On the first visit I had seen a plate of nachos go by that looked pretty good, so I sat down at the bar and ordered nachos ($7.95 for plain with no added meat) and a Miller light ($4).  The nachos were okay, not exemplary but certainly satisfying and better than the rock bottom bad food the kitchen was putting out in the later years of the old regime.  It got so bad that I had stopped ordering food there all together.  I do think the nachos I saw on the previous trip that looked so good must have had a meat topping ($4.95 extra for choice of beef/chicken/pork/portobello), but I was happy enough with the standard ones.  It was not an enormous amount of food but it was more than I could or would want to finish solo.

While the food was fine if unexceptional, the noise in the place was deafening.  It's not like the old place was quiet, but all that open space and those hard surfaces...yikes!  The previous trip it was not as full.  Last night there was a fairly large crowd and it was just unbearably loud.  It's amazing the bartender was able to do such a good job when it had to be hard for her to hear.

All in all, it was not bad for $11.95 plus tax and tip, but maybe I should consider earplugs if I go back.

When downtown, up on the Hill in need of an interesting place to grab lunch or dinner, this place is OK.  Not the Hawk and Dove it was before, but nicely renovated and consistent.  Hard to compare to the nostalgic landmark it once was, but they try.  It is like reinventing a place of historic value and trying to update it to a new, more chic place.  The bar is moderately busy but I have only been there several times for lunch.  Food is fresh, prep can sometimes take longer than I'd prefer, but it is what it is. Staff is accomodating, and atmosphere is bright and usually inviting.  Moderately priced for food value and variety.

Haven't been able to confirm this online but I heard today that Stuart Long, former owner of the Hawk, died on Saturday.  I'm a little surprised I don't see it but also that people didn't know about it for almost a week.

The only food I'd ordered here since the changeover has been the nachos. I didn't like them as much the last time, so this time around I ordered and enjoyed an endive and watercress salad. The advertised spiced walnuts were minimal or absent, but the salad I got was quite good. It also had blue cheese and sliced Granny Smith apples.  The cider vinaigrette was excellent. I love vinegar-heavy vinaigrettes.  I'm not sure how I feel about $12 for a plate of salad, but I liked it enough for it to be worthwhile.