Campono Trattoria (Formerly Ancora), Fast-Casual Italian in the Watergate Hotel - Closed

Just received this from a colleague at work:

Get ready for DC's newest restaurant from Bob Kinkead!

View this email in your browser

Coming soon from Bob Kinkead!

Washington DC's James Beard Award Winning Chef Bob Kinkead announces the opening of his newest Italian seafood concept, Ancora.

The pop-up concept located in the Watergate complex at 600 New Hampshire Ave NW, Ancora is Chef Kinkead's vision of an Italian Trattoria.  Boasting house made pastas along with Chef Kinkead's famous seafood delicacies, Ancora will offer antipasti and sharing platters of salumi and crudo.  While featuring the fresh fish and shellfish Kinkead has become famous for, Ancora will also include preparations with an Italian/Mediterranean flavor.  Ancora is certain to become a destination not to be missed in the capital's dining scene.

Ancora's menu will change frequently to reflect seasonal, locally sourced, impeccably fresh seafood and produce. Executive Chef Jeffery Gaetjen, formerly of Kinkead's, will be at the helm of this kitchen, assuring the same attention to quality and consistency that made Kinkead's a Washington DC landmark for 20 years.

Ancora's bar program will focus on classic cocktails and will feature modern interpretations of libations utilizing Italian aperitifs, wines and spirits. The wine list will consist of mostly Italian wines, featuring varietals from some lesser-known Italian wine producing areas and selections from Europe and the United States.

With it's unique location directly across from the Kennedy Center, Ancora will be the perfect place for pre and post theater dining. As the weather warms, the expansive patio overlooking the Potomac River will be the perfect spot for happy hour with friends, or to catch up over a lovely dinner with a beautiful view.

Stay tuned for an opening date coming in February.

We can't wait to see you at Ancora!

info@ancoradc.com
www.ancoradc.com
(coming soon!)

Copyright © *2013* *|Ancora|*, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a loyal fan of Chef Bob Kinkead!

Our mailing address is:
*|info@ancoradc.com|* unsubscribe from this list  update subscription preferences

I know the gang that owns the spot which this pop up is going into. Real nice guys who have had the same trouble that everyone else has with that space. Hard to find, parking (unless you hit the garage) and no one really knows what to do cuisine and service wise. Too often catering to the KC crowd, but not enough emphasis on the neighborhood. As that area grows and develops restaurants will need to focus on the neighborhood, and less on The KC overflow. Focus on the bar and its size, the outside patio, and scale back the menu to lower menu prices.

I'm confused. Why are they calling this a pop-up concept?

I may be further black-balled for revealing this closely guarded secret of the restaurant world, or worse, be paid a "visit" by one of the members of the "Social Club" belonging to the "brother-in-law" (maybe more "vor v zakone") of the famous Crypto-Jewish Graham "famiglia" for violating the sacred code of Omertá, but since I have been forced into seclusion in an undisclosed location anyway, I may as well.

What has been the case for over a decade, and hidden by layer after layer of off-shore shell corporations (Postcard from Aruba, anyone?), is that Tom Sietsema and a secret, crack team of elite Kaplan graduates each year produce--via unimaginably complex fractal algorithms derived from countless viewings of Seasons 3 and 4 of Sex and the City--a set of refrigerator magnets designed to seduce and titillate, beyond all control, food critics and those who aspire to be.

These are then placed in a bag, or sack, and shaken vigorously by a mysterious, some would say biblically unknowable, figure known only by the sobriquet, Joey Onan, who then "spills the seeds of imagination", as the process is known, onto a large mirrored glass table.

Then, once David Haagedorn is sufficiently intoxicated by the sweet elixir of his own pheromones, which have been captured and aerosolized in a uniquely Jose Andres alchemical process and manufactured by naked Costa Rican virgins working 18 hour shifts under armed guard, he arranges the refrigerator magnets into magically prescient--not trend-setting, trend-upsetting--press releases which, after being edited by that monkey wearing a fur coat at IKEA, are dispersed under multiple pseudonyms by "publicists", which are then promptly and freely plagiarized by food critics across the country--even right here in DC!

If I am not heard from again, just remember--Follow the money. Follow the money.

• Like 5

I'm confused. Why are they calling this a pop-up concept? What's temporary about it? I thought it was just a new restaurant in that space.

My understanding is that it's going to be open "as is" for about six months and then close for four months for a more thorough makeover.

John, thanks for this information, which is very helpful. I have spent far too much money and wasted far too much time (waiting for service) after rehearsals and shows in the various incarnations of that space, so this is really good news. Hopefully the prices will be somewhat attainable for bohemian dilettantes, but even if not, I think Ancora will be assured not only a captive audience (which has been the seductress of mediocrity under previous owners), but also a happy and appreciative one.

I may be further black-balled for revealing this closely guarded secret of the restaurant world, or worse, be paid a "visit" by one of the members of the "Social Club" belonging to the "brother-in-law" (maybe more "vor v zakone") of the famous Crypto-Jewish Graham "famiglia" for violating the sacred code of Omertá, but since I have been forced into seclusion in an undisclosed location anyway, I may as well.

What has been the case for over a decade, and hidden by layer after layer of off-shore shell corporations (Postcard from Aruba, anyone?), is that Tom Sietsema and a secret, crack team of elite Kaplan graduates each year produce--via unimaginably complex fractal algorithms derived from countless viewings of Seasons 3 and 4 of Sex and the City--a set of refrigerator magnets designed to seduce and titillate, beyond all control, food critics and those who aspire to be.

These are then placed in a bag, or sack, and shaken vigorously by a mysterious, some would say biblically unknowable, figure known only by the sobriquet, Joey Onan, who then "spills the seeds of imagination", as the process is known, onto a large mirrored glass table.

Then, once David Haagedorn is sufficiently intoxicated by the sweet elixir of his own pheromones, which have been captured and aerosolized in a uniquely Jose Andres alchemical process and manufactured by naked Costa Rican virgins working 18 hour shifts under armed guard, he arranges the refrigerator magnets into magically prescient--not trend-setting, trend-upsetting--press releases which, after being edited by that monkey wearing a fur coat at IKEA, are dispersed under multiple pseudonyms by "publicists", which are then promptly and freely plagiarized by food critics across the country--even right here in DC!

If I am not heard from again, just remember--Follow the money. Follow the money.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I do know one thing: nobody has ever accused you of not being brilliant.

Is it something like this paragraph in this article?

In the end, Kinkead says, the local chapter of CIRA was undone by the kind of things that bring down most such organizations: a lack of funds and a chronic inability to reach consensus. CIRA remains alive in other areas, Kinkead says, mostly smaller towns where members are willing to put aside their own needs for the greater good of the chapter. The veteran restaurateur believes one factor will determine whether Rockwell succeeds with AIR: “If he’s extremely well funded, there’s not a reason why it shouldn’t work,” Kinkead says. “If not, don’t bother, buddy.”

It wasn't funding that was my undoing, my good man; it was the one-in-ten-million, proverbial, safe falling on my head, as I went out for a stroll around the block ... for the second time in ten years.

Cheers,

Roy Hobbs

Remember that name. You'll be hearing it again in the future.

I ate at Ancora for the first time last night and felt so happy, so grateful to be there. The space is essentially the same as before, but the food and service are in an entirely different league. (Martina, wisely, was one of the few staff who were retained.) I had a bib salad with scallions and a delightfully tangy dressing that had me exclaiming, "Oh my God, a salad that hasn't been lying around in the refrigerator for a few days!" Yes, the bar is low, but this was a very good salad, well balanced and well seasoned. Then I had a brioche-crusted fluke with artichoke sauce, fried artichokes, and a kind of confit of haricots verts. It was perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious. Martina made me a nice Overholt Manhattan, and I was just very happy after a long rehearsal. This is how this place is supposed to be.

Word is they will be closing in a few months for a complete remodel, at which time the charcuterie station and raw bar mentioned upthread will go in. (I hope that doesn't make the bar area too tight; once word gets around this place will be slammed after shows--even the awful former places were.) For this reason some things are still in transition, like the wine list, which, although not bad, will definitely get more extensive following the redo. But in the meantime I'll still love coming here.

Went there again on Saturday night. The front door says dinner until 11:00pm on Saturdays, but when I showed up at quarter of they said the kitchen had closed. I hate it when that happens.

You'd think if anyone knew better, it would be Bob Kinkead.

Restaurants *really* need to post a "last seating" time as well as a "get the hell out" time.

Four of us had dinner at Ancora tonight. Since newly opened, I'm just going to share some brief, general impressions.

As already noted, the decor and venue remain largely unchanged from when it was Riverside previously. We learned tonight that several among the current crew had worked for it as Riverside along with others that came from Kinkeads. We were told that the current expectation is either for the renovations to be done in time for a summer reopening or that it won't happen until very late in the year. So pretty unclear on that. It's a large venue with three dining rooms. We were also told it has been busy on weekends but not as much on week days. It was nearly empty tonight.

The food was a mixed bag. Some overuse of olives in several dishes. Some familiar dishes from Kinkeads. Around the table, we tried quite a bit ranging from pasta, salad and tuna apps to seafood and meat mains.

Service was surprisingly disorganized. Surprising because we had some tenured servers and the place was virtually empty. As just one example that didn't harm anything but was a bit annoying, they seemed unable to keep straight who'd ordered which dish so there was confusion delivered with every course.

Pricing was lower than I expected with nearly all mains in the 20s rather than 30s or more. We averaged around 50-60 per person with two mixed drinks and everyone getting at least two courses.

Plenty of dishes on menu that aren't Italian Seafood along with a good number that aren't seafood. So something for every taste. Every dish is labeled in Italian on the menu though.

Chef Kinkead checked in with the various other tables that were occupied including ours. He said he has gotten a strong positive reception from the local residents who've wanted a decent restaurant for quite some time. He's also planning a sandwich and takeaway spot next door with some limited seating though timing on that not yet clear.

I'll be interested to see how this evolves and hope that they get some good feedback and use it as they develop and refine the menu and concept.

• Like 1

Some quick impressions from two recent visits.

Fine service from a veteran server on my first visit (a slow Wednesday night), and disorganized but well-meaning service from a brand-new waiter on a busy Saturday night. Definitely some kinks to work through (unfamiliarity with which wines were available by the glass, confusion as to who ordered which dish, even on a two-top). But we did make it to our curtain at the Kennedy Center in plenty of time.

I've found the cooking here quite old school. Best dish I've tried: the garganelli con porri e salsicca (with sausage, mushrooms, Parmesan, and cream) -- the pasta perfectly al dente, with a delicious cream sauce. The bucatini alla vongole (pictured in the where did I dine? thread) was straightforwardly satisfying.

The grilled octopus appetizer had too little octopus, and too many accompaniments. The cacciucco (Ligurian seafood stew; ordered twice and prepared consistently) has a thick, spicy tomato-based broth and a melange of seafood (shrimp, squid, mussels, clams, fish) -- nice, not superlative.

Most disappointing: the braised rabbit entree, which was dry and stodgy in presentation.

I'll be interested, too, to see how this place evolves, and I'll definitely return (though how often? not sure), in large part b/c of its proximity to the Kennedy Center.

Went at 6 last night for a pre-Kennedy Center dinner and the restaurant was full and buzzing. Looked like mostly Kennedy Center patrons to me - not surprising. The service was excellent. The food was good. Servers quickly brought a nice bread basket. Had a glass of wine which the server gave us a taste of before we committed which was nice. However wine is expensive - $11 for a glass, and bottle prices seemed fairly high as well.

We ordered a Fritto Misto starter which contained shrimp, squid, maybe clams, some veggies and lemon slices. It was very good. My husband had Spaghetti alla Vongole and I had a lightly breaded Fluke fillet accompanied by some crispy artichoke hearts and skinny asparagus and browned potato cubes. Our only complaint was that both the spaghetti and the potato/asparagus combo were drenched in too much olive oil. Otherwise, a nice dinner, very convenient location and very good service.

We went pre-opera at KC on Saturday. Service was excellent -- knowing our time restrictions and getting us and many others out in plenty of time. Everyone in my party raved about their meals. I had a delicious whole branzino. No time for dessert, unfortunately.

I see they are now open for lunch, although their website still says "Coming Soon". Anyone seen a lunch menu?

Also, does anyone know how much work Chef Kinkead is actually doing here? I know he's not boiling the pasta, but is his role hands-on, or is it more of a "lending of the name" type of thing?

Jeff Gaetjen is Chef de Cuisine, and that alone is a very close connection.

I guess what I'm asking is: should Kinkead or Gaetjen be considered the chef here?

Still no info on the website. Is this place going to be in business much longer?

One of the grads of the bar school is a bartender there. He recently told me they are doing bang up pre theater business plus additional business. It seems fine.

Possibly Bob Kinkead's name goes a long way and they may not need the web updates as do so many other new restaurants.

Has this place gone downhill already?  I wrote a somewhat mixed, but generally positive, review upthread from two visits last spring, but I found the kitchen last night to be one in decline.

The dish I enjoyed the most this spring, the garganelli con porri e salsicca, now served as rigatoni, was inedibly salty and sent back.  Its replacement, tagliatelle with shrimp, was fine but undistinguished (and unfinished).  The prosciutto had a bit of a dried out quality, kind of like sliced prosciutto that's sat in my refrigerator for a couple days.  Surely it couldn't have been pre-sliced?  

Sadly, the kitchen probably doesn't need to be better than this for the pre-Kennedy Center crowd.  You don't need to outrun the bear...

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't been since last spring, so can't confirm or deny, but based on my positive experiences there, I was hoping this space had made a real turnaround thanks to Kinkead's helmsmanship. I hope this is not one of those "cursed" spaces in Washington, immune to any sort of talent or improvement, though I know that must sound superstitious.

According to Ancora's Facebook page from March 1, they closed for remodeling after dinner on March 15:

We are serving our last Dinner on Saturday March 15th and starting our major remodeling for re-opening in September.
Our sister restaurant Campono Trattoria, will open next door on March 28th.
Looking forward to seeing you there for Pizza, Paninis,Salads, Gelato accompanied with Beer and Wine.

The Washington Post had this article last month with more information about Ancora and the new place Campono Trattoria.

According to Ancora's Facebook page from March 1, they closed for remodeling after dinner on March 15:

The Washington Post had this article last month with more information about Ancora and the new place Campono Trattoria.

Just to echo the worlds of that once-great restaurateur Robert Kinkead, if he's extremely well-funded, I don't see why it couldn't work; if not, don't bother, buddy.

Oh, Chef, if you only had *any* idea how wrong you were at such a basic, fundamental level.

Ancora's website now says they plan to reopen during the first quarter of 2015, and in the meantime, their "sister restaurant," Campono Trattoria nexst door, is filling the void with pizza and subs.

This must be one hell of a renovation. :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it (although I don't preclude it from happening), and will split this single thread into both restaurants if and when they both open.

Okay, two questions: What happened to Ancora? Can anyone who has eaten at Campono evaluate their pizza?

Ancora will not be reopening. I went by the other night for you, hoping to report on Campono, but it was closed at 8:15 PM.

I wasn't sure where everything is, so first I went down to the arcade (where the CVS is), and noticed a restaurant called Zeitoun (note the misspelling on their website) - this is probably some variation of Zaytinya, or "eggplant." Well, it, too, was closed (it was a Monday night), so I went into the CVS, and asked a lady if she knew of a pizzeria. She pointed me back outside to Zeitoun, and I said, "No, it's called Campono," and she had no idea what I was talking about. I thanked her and walked out, but she stopped me and said, "Oh, there's a place up by the Kennedy Center." Previously, a watchman (working in the Western building (under construction)) had told me to go down into the arcade - he, too, was thinking of Zeitoun (which also serves pizza - Note: This is *by far* the nicest-looking restaurant I've ever seen down in that grungy arcade).

I finally made it, and I'm pretty sure Ancora hasn't been open in awhile now. Campono has a lot of logs near the entrance, so I assume that when they're open, they boast a wood-burning oven. Here are some pictures for you:

This is a bad picture (bad enough where I apologize for it), but at least it will give you some perspective of where Ancora and Campono are. I'm standing on New Hampshire Avenue, looking Southwest. The Kennedy Center is the big white thing on the left, Ancora is the oval sign in the middle, and Campono is the squiggly blue and white vertical sign on the right, up against the building. post-2-0-06223500-1440679940_thumb.jpg

Campono's supposed hours of operation (it was very empty at around 8:30 - this restaurant probably does well right before a Kennedy Center show, and that's about it) post-2-0-30994000-1440679989_thumb.jpg

A picture of Ancora's sign, the restaurant that was, and a much more attractive photo. post-2-0-72360900-1440679987_thumb.jpg

And a picture of Campono's entrance (note the logs inside the sign - I suspect Robert Kinkead wishes his name was off this restaurant). post-2-0-22695800-1440679986_thumb.jpg

Sorry, Herschel! I was going to go try it out for you, but it was closed; instead I went to Le Diplomate, had a *terrible* Gin and Tonic, a small carafe of white wine, three low-end appetizers, and my bill, with tax and tip, was $83.

• Like 3

Has anybody been to Campono recently? I'm looking for a place to grab a bite before the Bonnie Raitt concert at the Kennedy Center in March, and I heard (via Brian Wolken on Facebook) that Tracy O'Grady is in the kitchen now. Looks like it's mainly pizza and sandwiches, which would mean that I can probably have a salad (celiac). I can't do much walking, so I need a place very close by, which this seems to be.

Has anybody been to Campono recently? I'm looking for a place to grab a bite before the Bonnie Raitt concert at the Kennedy Center in March, and I heard (via Brian Wolken on Facebook) that Tracy O'Grady is in the kitchen now. Looks like it's mainly pizza and sandwiches, which would mean that I can probably have a salad (celiac). I can't do much walking, so I need a place very close by, which this seems to be.

I can contact Tracy in advance and let her know about your celiac. Even with just sandwiches, she'll do a fine job.

As small as this might be, it's still the best news I've heard coming out of the Watergate in forever.

The team behind the late Willow in Arlington is now at Campono in the Watergate, by Becky Krystal April 6 at 10:30 AM online at the Washington Post.

I first heard this about six weeks ago, and it seemed to be a good, if temporary, match for both sides. And who knows, maybe it will become permanent - if both O'Grady and Wolken are there, it could work.

Didn't Tracy used to be the Pastry Chef at the Watergate, or some such thing?

Answer: No, she was Sous Chef at Kinkead's. (Then what was Jeff Gaetjen?)

Don

Thanks for posting this up!

Tracy and I are both VERY excited to be in these new digs. Its not often you get to take over for two pros like Bob and JG!

While we're just getting started, we've got lots of good stuff planned for the near future.

I'll keep everyone posted as things develop.

Great to be part of this community!

Cheers

• Like 6

The changes are starting:)

Try one of our new "Quick Meal Salads"

This one is the Chicken Sharwma, but we will be rotating a wide variety, avaliable on a daily basis. They are composed of grains, legumes, greens and proteins. We will have some vegetarian options available from time to time. Things like: Mexican Roast Pork, Corn and Black Bean /Wood Roasted Mushroom and Onions with Toasted Farro/Asian Chicken with Roasted Cauliflower, Shiitake "Bacon" and Basmati Rice

Available for $11, or as a half with bowl of soup for $12

www.camponodc.com

image.jpeg

• Like 4

They were slammed last night between 6 and 7 (i think the Kennedy Center had all stages running).  We quite enjoyed the marinara pizza.  Tracy O’Grady was getting quite the workout running food out to the full house of hungry diners.  We'll definitely be back.

• Like 2

We had a couple of very nice pizzas and a bottle of decent and relatively inexpensive wine last night before the John Oliver show.  This is a very good option for a quick meal before a show, particularly if you have trouble walking long distances like I do.  Literally across the street from the parking lot entrance.

• Like 4

Curious how the drinks are served here, particularly wine or beer, when you order, grab your utensils, and seat yourself. Do the servers bring it out to you after you've sat down at a table or are you given a glass when you order? Basically wondering if you get your drinks ahead of time or if everything comes out with the pizza.

And are bottles of wine available? I see on their online menu that it says "wine by the glass."

Is it the kind of place where you can sit and talk for a while before or after a show, or is it more of a high-turnover, eat your pizza and leave kind of place?

10 minutes ago, SRJ said:

Curious how the drinks are served here, particularly wine or beer, when you order, grab your utensils, and seat yourself. Do the servers bring it out to you after you've sat down at a table or are you given a glass when you order? Basically wondering if you get your drinks ahead of time or if everything comes out with the pizza.

And are bottles of wine available? I see on their online menu that it says "wine by the glass."

Is it the kind of place where you can sit and talk for a while before or after a show, or is it more of a high-turnover, eat your pizza and leave kind of place?

Thanks for the interest. 

You get drinks at the same time you order, and take them to your table. 

Bottles of wine are available. In fact, Tracy & Dante just re-did the list...more choices and some great juice. 

Things are fairly slow between lunch and the first show. How busy we get depends on the show schedules, sometimes there are more than 6 shows a day and other times just two. 

That said, if you come most nights you can take time and enjoy yourself before the show. Of course, I suggest you get there well in advance of the show (at least an hour) so you are not caught in the scramble of last minute folks getting food. 

On nights like last night, with several busy shows through out the evening (one of which was John Oliver:), we are pretty much hustling from 5-8, with people moving quickly through the restaurant. 

Cheers!

B

• Like 1

After a Kennedy Center lunchtime concert on Friday, I stopped by Campono.  I used to be a big fan of Willow and now the owners run Campono. The food is still Willow-quality thank goodness.  The place is more casual but comfortable.  All tables are communal so you don't have to sweat it worrying if you will have a place to sit down to eat your food.  You order, pay, get a number, and they bring the food to you (just like at La Madeleine or Corner Bakery or Plaka Grill).  I had the Willow pizza which is not the same as the old Willow flatbread back in the day, but still yummy.  The crust was really good as were the toppings.  Good selection of beer, wine, sodas.  Looking forward to trying their other pizzas and sandwiches.  This will definitely be my go-to Kennedy Center pre- or post-event eatery.

IMG_20170519_133215870.jpg.abec7ef89b1e4b86ff05194dc36af196.jpg

• Like 8

I have been here probably more than 10 times over the last couple years. I don't recall ever having a pizza here, but the sandwiches and salads are excellent, but I temd to always get the meaty Tuna Nicoise salad. It's a meal by itself. Service is always prompt--I've never had a problem getting in and out so I can get to the Ken Cen. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 6:51 PM, hopsing said:

After a Kennedy Center lunchtime concert on Friday, I stopped by Campono.  I used to be a big fan of Willow and now the owners run Campono. The food is still Willow-quality thank goodness.  The place is more casual but comfortable.  All tables are communal so you don't have to sweat it worrying if you will have a place to sit down to eat your food.  You order, pay, get a number, and they bring the food to you (just like at La Madeleine or Corner Bakery or Plaka Grill).  I had the Willow pizza which is not the same as the old Willow flatbread back in the day, but still yummy.  The crust was really good as were the toppings.  Good selection of beer, wine, sodas.  Looking forward to trying their other pizzas and sandwiches.  This will definitely be my go-to Kennedy Center pre- or post-event eatery.

IMG_20170519_133215870.jpg.abec7ef89b1e4b86ff05194dc36af196.jpg

Thank you for the kind words!

On 5/30/2017 at 10:05 AM, ArlFred said:

I have been here probably more than 10 times over the last couple years. I don't recall ever having a pizza here, but the sandwiches and salads are excellent, but I temd to always get the meaty Tuna Nicoise salad. It's a meal by itself. Service is always prompt--I've never had a problem getting in and out so I can get to the Ken Cen. 

Thank you for being such a great supporter! I definitely encourage you to try a pizza on your next visit.