The Virtual Beer Tasting Club

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd start a separate thread, just in case that are people who would be interested but aren't visiting the Hopslam thread. I figure we can also start brainstorming here. Please feel free to move this post to Events and Gatherings if that makes more sense, but I know the audience has been posting in this forum recently.

A little background: The idea of virtual beer tastings has come up a few times, and Don suggested someone should begin rolling the boulder down the hill. I've participate in virtual tastings on WineBerserkers so I can lend a little bit of experience to this process. One important thing is to make sure the beers we choose are easily sourced in VA, DC, and MD at least. I know everyone would like to taste Canadian Breakfast Stout, but that would be nearly impossible to facilitate.

Another thing we need to decide is should there be a separate thread for each tasting, or just a master thread where everyone constantly posts their thoughts. Should we choose one night where everyone tastes, or a starting date, and ask everyone taste and post by a certain date?

There are two new beers available in our market, that I think would make good guinea pigs, Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro or Lagunitas Sucks. These are both available in six packs, so I don't know if people would want to team up due to fear of commitment...or find stores selling single bottles.

So let us know your thoughts, and if we get enough interest in one of the other, we can try to have the first one by the end of the month.

-Eric

Hey everyone,

Another thing we need to decide is should there be a separate thread for each tasting, or just a master thread where everyone constantly posts their thoughts. Should we choose one night where everyone tastes, or a starting date, and ask everyone taste and post by a certain date?

Thanks Eric for starting. I am down, I'm not a big beer guy but it's time to branch out. Regarding the threads, I would prefer to have a different thread for each tasting. After the tasting, I wouldn't necessarily close the thread, but others could chime in their thoughts at a later date, and we could track how a particular brew has evolved over time.

Alternatively, I wonder if we could pin an index to the top of this thread that hyperlinks to the first post that deals with a new tasting, and just keep all tastings in this thread. It would probably be a much more focused thread with less outside input, but perhaps that is appropriate to a craft brew that probably varies from batch to batch.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a different post for each thread (with the beer's name as the title), and the entire Virtual Beer Tasting moved into its own sub-forum. I think it's important that, at least at first, we do one at a time, instead of having everyone posting a topic on their favorite beer - that way, we'll get some depth of responses. After it catches on, we can expand to several going on simultaneously. Once we get to 10, 20, 30, and beyond, people should be able to stroll into their local beer store and pick up a mixed six-pack, and post at their leisure (which is exactly why we should keep the threads permanently open).

[is everyone okay with a sub-forum underneath Beer, Wine, and Cocktails, with one thread per beer, permanently open?]

No time like the present. Eric, would you like to start us off with something?

Left Hand Milk Stout would be wonderful, and eye-opening for those who haven't tried it, and I've been wanting to try the Lagunitas Suck since I read about it - it has gotten rave reviews on Beer Advocate.

Just pick whatever you want, and let's roll.

No time like the present. Eric, would you like to start us off with something?

Left Hand Milk Stout would be wonderful, and eye-opening for those who haven't tried it...

Just read about the VBT and was thinking about that exact beer for a tasting!

Just read about the VBT and was thinking about that exact beer for a tasting!

I didn't even realize a "Nitro" version existed when I typed that earlier.

My gut feeling is that these VBTs will become a separate forum, and I say the more forum hosts, the better. [Done!]

I just want to say hip hip hooray for this idea, even though I cannot participate - I think it is the best thing EVER, and I am supremely jealous.

I need to get my hubby to join up, as this would be right up his alley. It is right up my alley, too, but unfortunately I have been on Topamax since August, and the most unfortunate side effect of the medication is that it makes all carbonated beverages (including beer, my favorite) taste pretty much like a bag of ass. And as bad as that side effect is, it is better than debilitating migraines that often present like strokes.

All this to say, hooray beer, and I will continue to read with wonder - and with the hope that big pharma comes up with a better drug one of these days! :D

I just want to say hip hip hooray for this idea, even though I cannot participate - I think it is the best thing EVER, and I am supremely jealous.

I need to get my hubby to join up, as this would be right up his alley. It is right up my alley, too, but unfortunately I have been on Topamax since August, and the most unfortunate side effect of the medication is that it makes all carbonated beverages (including beer, my favorite) taste pretty much like a bag of ass. And as bad as that side effect is, it is better than debilitating migraines that often present like strokes.

All this to say, hooray beer, and I will continue to read with wonder - and with the hope that big pharma comes up with a better drug one of these days! :D

What *can* you drink that you have an interest in?

FYI for those of y'all out in the boonies: I picked up a six pack of each of these at the Ashburn Wine Shop ($13.99 for the Left Hand and $11.99 for the Lagunitas). It was my first time there and wow, what a friendly store.

We'll see which one I feel like trying tonight...

What *can* you drink that you have an interest in?

I can drink white wine (red aggravates the headaches too much to drink more than occasionally), and I love it. I have not been trained in any traditional way, but I know what I like (lots of minerality and/or lots of acid - I am usually not gung-ho on anything in the sweet/fruity arena), and I enjoy finding values.

I like cocktails (usually gin/vodka/tequila), but without any ability to use carbonated mixers, I am limited there, too. Plus, I am too much of a wuss to just sip hard liquor in order to distinguish the differences between various brands of spirits. But, like I said, that would be right up my husband's alley. :D

I can drink white wine (red aggravates the headaches too much to drink more than occasionally), and I love it. I have not been trained in any traditional way, but I know what I like (lots of minerality and/or lots of acid - I am usually not gung-ho on anything in the sweet/fruity arena), and I enjoy finding values.

I like cocktails (usually gin/vodka/tequila), but without any ability to use carbonated mixers, I am limited there, too. Plus, I am too much of a wuss to just sip hard liquor in order to distinguish the differences between various brands of spirits. But, like I said, that would be right up my husband's alley. :D

Well, we've got the Virtual Beer Tasting Club - why not a Virtual Wine Tasting Club? I feel perfectly comfortable running this if nobody else wants to do it - I need to Beaune up on my knowledge of local distribution anyway, so it's all to the good. That said, I envision multiple forum hosts just as I hope to have with the VBT Club, speaking of which, shall we move on to a third selection? I really like the idea of having a thousand different beers open for discussion (selfishly, too, because I have a *lot* to learn), but I do think it's important to focus on just a few at a time to foster dialogue. That said, a different beer each week is only 52 beers a year which isn't all that many. I also think we shouldn't shy away from technical discussion on how these beers are made - it's the only way we'll all educate ourselves - so people should feel free to discuss specific hops, specific gravity :), who the brewmasters are, etc.

Two things:

1) Thank you SO MUCH to VikingJew and JRichStar for their incredibly substantive, authoritative, detailed, meritorious posts in this forum. JRichStar just made his debut post as Forum Host and it is effing amazing.

2) This is one subforum that bears fruit to sort in Ascending Order by Thread Title, as opposed to Last Update Date. You have to do it each time you go in (unless I change the default, but it's worth it - and if anyone ever wants me to change the default setting when the forum grows to multiple pages, I will).

Thank you both Eric and Jeff for your magnificence in multiple things: writing skills, beer knowledge, enthusiasm, kinship (maybe that's not the right word, but both your posts ooze encouragement for your fellow members to get out and try these treasures). Thank you both so much. You make me *so proud* to run this website.

Cheers,

Rocks

I am so excited that this idea has really taken off - especially since HOORAY, I am being taken off my previous migraine medication and switched to something that does NOT impact my enjoyment of carbonated beverages! I can't wait to start participating in these discussions again.

The taste buds aren't quite back to normal (it may still take some time to completely clear the Topamax from my system), but I'm hoping they will be up and running for our trip to California this week. Mmmm, Pliny...

Calling on some help for the next beers up for tasting.  Inspired by this article: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/sour-beer-cantillon-a-brief-history.html how about some sours?  I know there's a thread on sours already, but with them being seasonal or limited runs for most breweries, does anyone have a favorite that is widely available?

And in the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the latest IPAs (both Double and Belgian) and American "Lambics" we've tasted recently.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm now actually employed by an entity selling beer in the city of Richmond (or the suburb of Glen Allen).  I doubt there'll be much of a conflict of interest, but in this era of full disclosure I thought it should be on the record.  If anyone is heading to RVA, come see me at De Fles Winkel, commonly to be known as The Wink Bottle Shop.

I was thinking of going to visit my parents for Father's Day (also because they're moving from Amelia, southwest of Richmond, to New Kent, northeast of Richmond, at the end of the month). I'll have to see if I can swing by! Do you work over the weekends?

Yep, I'll be there this weekend, not sure of my exact hours.  We're open 10-11 on Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday.  We just had out soft opening on Friday and it went pretty well.  Our tap lines aren't in yet, and not sure what the ETA is on those, but there should be "something" to sample if you stop in over the weekend.

I'm now actually employed by an entity selling beer in the city of Richmond (or the suburb of Glen Allen).  I doubt there'll be much of a conflict of interest, but in this era of full disclosure I thought it should be on the record.  If anyone is heading to RVA, come see me at De Fles Winkel, commonly to be known as The Wink Bottle Shop.

Thanks for the disclosure, Eric. The only conflict of interest would be if you began posting *only* about beers that your store sold, and no others. It's fine to lead this forum and highlight beers your store sells that you, personally, think are interesting, wonderful, etc., but you'll now need to make a bit of extra effort to "drive down the block" and try others, instead of writing about *only* the excellent beers that are just a few feet away from you. Makes sense, right? (And yes, people understand that if you love a beer you don't carry, you'll end up carrying it, and that's fine too.) Your ethics are most certainly not going to be questioned - you've been a great forum host, and we're lucky to have you. <--- That was a voice of support. :)

Yep, I'll be there this weekend, not sure of my exact hours.  We're open 10-11 on Saturday and 12-6 on Sunday.  We just had out soft opening on Friday and it went pretty well.  Our tap lines aren't in yet, and not sure what the ETA is on those, but there should be "something" to sample if you stop in over the weekend.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know.

In the interest of beer tasting, I visited the Forge Brew Works (http://www.forgebrewworks.com) 2 weekends ago, it's located in an industrial park, on Terminal Rd. I sampled several brews, then picked up a growler of my favorite, the kolsch, to take up to Carlisle, PA to celebrate my DH's graduation from the Army War College this past weekend. He's had a good time up there checking out the microbreweries (& larger, I have a great Yuengling tee shirt, don't snear, Yuengling is my favorite inexpensive local beer). Forge was very nice, still bare bones, but the folks there were very nice, & the beer was good. I just wish they had a wheat beer. I tried the petite saison, kolsch, blonde & roggenbier.

I'm up for sampling other beers, I've been in a pleasant rut, because my favorite beer, Hoegaarden, has been on sale at the class VI, it jumped from $12.99 (a giveaway) to $18.70. So, a good time to sample other beers...

In the interest of beer tasting, I visited the Forge Brew Works (http://www.forgebrewworks.com) 2 weekends ago, it's located in an industrial park, on Terminal Rd. I sampled several brews, then picked up a growler of my favorite, the kolsch, to take up to Carlisle, PA to celebrate my DH's graduation from the Army War College this past weekend. He's had a good time up there checking out the microbreweries (& larger, I have a great Yuengling tee shirt, don't snear, Yuengling is my favorite inexpensive local beer). Forge was very nice, still bare bones, but the folks there were very nice, & the beer was good. I just wish they had a wheat beer. I tried the petite saison, kolsch, blonde & roggenbier.

I'm up for sampling other beers, I've been in a pleasant rut, because my favorite beer, Hoegaarden, has been on sale at the class VI, it jumped from $12.99 (a giveaway) to $18.70. So, a good time to sample other beers...

I know I've had a Forge beer somewhere recently, but did not realize that they are less than 10 minutes from my house. I know what I am doing tomorrow afternoon!

We went on Sunday, tried 2 kolsches-Berlin & Keller, hefeweizen, & oatmeal stout, refilled the growler w/ Berlin style kolsch, nice & tart. We watched a little of the France/Honduras match, the tables were filled (I think they have 3 or 4), & there were a couple of dogs, too- Josh commented that we could never take our dogs out, he thinks they're not well trained.