TakEatEasy - Chef Juan "Nacho" Olivera's Uruguayan Sandwiches and Tapas Downtown at 19th and M NW - Closed

Just as an FYI the brothers who were the original GM and cook at Fast Gourmet, Manu and Nacho, have not been affiliated with the spot for a while.  They have split from their partners at FG and are now solely at the new place on 19th and M NW, called TakEatEasy.  Unfortunate name aside, the sandwiches that everyone raved about for a while (then wondered why they dropped off in quality/consistency a few months later when the brothers left) are now located there.

TakEatEasy opens today with a work in progress menu of salads and sandwiches at lunch, moving into tapas and drinks at happy hour, and then some larger plates at dinner.  It's definitely a work in progress at the moment but if you remember how good Fast Gourmet was at the start, you'll have this on your radar immediately.

EDIT: I should have mentioned they also have a liquor license.  Chivito + beer.

I never ate at the gas station back in the day, so I can't speak to what the chivito tasted like previously, but it was pretty damn good at TakEatEasy on Friday for lunch. While the $15 price tag (it also comes with fries) may be a bit steep for a sandwich, the sandwich was almost worth it. And, when you consider that you are now eating it in a nice setting, as opposed to a gas station, it makes it close to a good value.

By the way, even though I didn't come for the fries, I would appreciate it if they at least tried to put some good fries on the plate. I don't care if they are frozen out of the bag, but cold and soggy is just plain wrong.

I never ate at the gas station back in the day, so I can't speak to what the chivito tasted like previously, but it was pretty damn good at TakEatEasy on Friday for lunch. While the $15 price tag (it also comes with fries) may be a bit steep for a sandwich, the sandwich was almost worth it. And, when you consider that you are now eating it in a nice setting, as opposed to a gas station, it makes it close to a good value.

By the way, even though I didn't come for the fries, I would appreciate it if they at least tried to put some good fries on the plate. I don't care if they are frozen out of the bag, but cold and soggy is just plain wrong.

Whoa! What was really notable when we visited TEE a week ago (just after opening) was that they had replaced the frozen, tasteless fries from Fast Gourmet with delicious, hand-cut, piping-hot fries at the new place. Hope they haven't had second thoughts . . .

I stopped by here for lunch this past Wednesday to have the Chivito (it's been a year since I last had it) and checkout the new digs. Same good flavors as before (I'd love a better roll though). The fries I had just came out of the kitchen and were hot. Good meal.

Talked with Manuel (I think) who welcomed me as I sat / ate at the bar. Seems like they'll be shooting for the weekend bar crowd by staying open for food till 5am (alcoholic beverages will wrap-up around midnight). Of the available choices at the end of the night, I could see folks coming here for post-night drunk food lol.

takeateasy.jpg

Whoa! What was really notable when we visited TEE a week ago (just after opening) was that they had replaced the frozen, tasteless fries from Fast Gourmet with delicious, hand-cut, piping-hot fries at the new place. Hope they haven't had second thoughts . . .

I agree...I stopped by opening week as well, and while the Chivito was predictably delicious, the fantastic fries were a surprising high point. I hope jive's experience was just an isolated one.

I agree...I stopped by opening week as well, and while the Chivito was predictably delicious, the fantastic fries were a surprising high point. I hope jive's experience was just an isolated one.

The photo in collije's post reflects the fries I got last week -- nothing like the limp fare at Fast Gourmet.

After my sixth excellent meal at TakEatEasy, I've added it to the new dining guide. It's considerably more upscale than you'd think it would be if you've ever been to Fast Gourmet, and it was a bit of an oversight that it's not in the guide already. If you haven't been, you should go. With a full bar and delicious sandwiiches, it's not nearly as busy as it should be.

It's ironic that because TakEatEasy *isn't* in a gas station, it might have more trouble surviving than when its owners were at Fast Gourmet - the "cool" factor is gone, and it's now going toe-to-toe with the likes of Malaysia Kopitiam and its other neighbors.

The decor is very casual, but a definite step up from the gas station, and on Friday and Saturday nights, it's currently open until 5 AM, and would be a perfect pace to unwind with a meal after a long night at the bars downtown.

I've only had dinner here, and nothing on the menu is more expensive than $16.50. Happy hour runs from 4-8 PM, and the deals are impressive: $5 tapas, $4 beers, and $5 glasses of wine.

I started with an Allagash White ($4 at happy hour), and you just knew I had to get the Chivito ($15) my first time here. On the menu, it's listed with (take a deep breath) ... filet mignon, ham, pancetta, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, pickled shiitake, onions, egg, Boston lettuce, plum tomato, garlic mayo confit, served on a soft roll and with fries. Whew! Despite this, it's not as gloppy as when it was being made at Fast Gourmet, but even though it's toned down, and perhaps more "elegant," dare I say? It's still just as good, qualitatively, as it was before. Just as good, but a little cleaner. And the fries are fresh-cut, not frozen.

As much as I loved the Chivito, I may hit the $5 tapas on my second visit (all but two are $5). In particular, I have my eye on the Lengua a la Vinegreta, Croquetas de Bacalao, and Rollitos de Jamon Serrano, all three of which will be $15 total during happy hour.

For the second half of my Chivito, I asked for a white wine, and they had Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling. I followed my own advice of, "When in doubt, go with Sauvignon Blanc," and I'm glad I did because it was good wine. This was a good 5-6 ounce pour, in high-quality stemware, and the wine was good enough where I asked to see the bottle. It was a 2011 Hemisferio from Chile which is made in partnership with the legendary Spanish vintner Miguel Torres. I think it was a little after 8 when I ordered it, and I was fully expecting to pay full boat, but the bartender kindly gave it to me at the happy hour price of $5 which is pretty ridiculous for such a good glass of wine (it's usually $7.50)

This is a casual place, and the staff is super-friendly. There's a bar, and the restaurant has flat-screens for easy viewing of soccer games (and with these owners, soccer games are probably what you'll be watching). It needs more publicity because the food is quite good - I saw what was being brought out, and am impressed.

TakEatEasy is comfortably initiated in Italic in the donrockwell.com Dining Guide, and should be in everyone's lunch repetoire who works nearby. Well done, gentlemen.

• Like 1

It's ironic that because TakEatEasy *isn't* in a gas station, it might have more trouble surviving than when its owners were at Fast Gourmet - the "cool" factor is gone, and it's now going toe-to-toe with the likes of Malaysia Kopitiam and its other neighbors.

Also, moving 5 blocks west of 14th does nothing for your cool factor these days.

I went in for lunch with a coworker two weeks ago. The food was very good, but it's not attracting much of a lunch crowd yet. I think the place was only 1/4 full for the time I was there.

I think the partition in the front and dim lighting is a problem. I saw quite a few people stopping and reading the posted menu, but none of them came in. Maybe they were checking out the menu for another time, or maybe they were daunted by the darkness.

The other problem is that the place isn't well set up for a 1-hour lunch that's pretty typical for the neighborhood office workers. Having table service just slows things down too much and adds 20% to the tab, even though the service itself is very nice and attentive. It would be better for lunchtime to move to an order-at-the-cash-register system.

The other problem is that the place isn't well set up for a 1-hour lunch that's pretty typical for the neighborhood office workers. Having table service just slows things down too much and adds 20% to the tab, even though the service itself is very nice and attentive. It would be better for lunchtime to move to an order-at-the-cash-register system.

This. Including tax and tip, I think I paid, what, $20 for a Chivito? Too pricey to be in the regular lunchtime rotation.

This. Including tax and tip, I think I paid, what, $20 for a Chivito? Too pricey to be in the regular lunchtime rotation.

At $15, the Chivito is one of the most expensive things (and the most expensive sandwich) on the menu.

If the owners are smart, they either have, or are working on, a lunchtime carryout strategy.

• Like 1

If the owners are smart, they either have, or are working on, a lunchtime carryout strategy.

They should start by getting a website. The current one just says "coming soon" with no contact information. They do have a facebook page, though. It even has the correct phone number . . . after I told them two weeks ago that the one listed was wrong.

I'm pretty sure that DC area restaurateurs hire Metro escallator repairmen in their off hours to build and maintain their websites.

As much as I loved the Chivito, I may hit the $5 tapas on my second visit (all but two are $5). In particular, I have my eye on the Lengua a la Vinegreta, Croquetas de Bacalao, and Rollitos de Jamon Serrano, all three of which will be $15 total during happy hour.

The bacalao croquetas and jamon rollitos are worth your time. Especially the bacalao.

I feel kind of dumb even to be bringing this up, but is the name somehow a play on the Steak 'n Shake slogan "TakHomaSak"? I've never been to a SNS but saw a link to a Roger Ebert piece praising them and was taken by the similarlty of the mottos.

Maybe, but my guess is no - they seem to be highlighting the "chill" aspect of the restaurant when you read the menu - I think it's just a hybrid of "take it easy" and "eat," and nothing more. But maybe.

Tonight's chivito from TakEatEasy (I can't write that name without cringing...ugh) is every bit as balanced and, dare I say, complex as the original gas station version I remember. The acid in the pickles and olives is just what the meats and (at first bite excessive-seeming) garlic mayonnaise need. There's mushroom and roasted red pepper, too. And although the fries were limp and not that enjoyable after sitting sealed up in a takeout container for 25 minutes before they got to me (my problem, not theirs obviously) I'm glad to see they're offering a thicker version than the cold-in-two-minutes thin ones Fast Gourmet sells.

I also got to try the bacalao croquettes (great flavor and consistency, but order these only when you can eat them fresh out of the fryer) and the gambas al pil pil, which were enormous head-on shrimp in a very tasty garlic oil.

Had lunch at the bar today and got a chance to chat up one of the co-owners. They're disappointed in the volume of business they've been getting for lunch, and will shut down for a week or so in September to do some renovations that are intended in part to make the inside of the restaurant more visible from M St. (it's so easy to walk by this place without even noticing there's a restaurant there).  They're planning on re-opening with an expanded menu that includes about 8-10 additional tapas and sandwiches. 

Had lunch at the bar today and got a chance to chat up one of the co-owners. They're disappointed in the volume of business they've been getting for lunch, and will shut down for a week or so in September to do some renovations that are intended in part to make the inside of the restaurant more visible from M St. (it's so easy to walk by this place without even noticing there's a restaurant there).  They're planning on re-opening with an expanded menu that includes about 8-10 additional tapas and sandwiches. 

Qualitatively, TakeEatEasy is good enough to justify giving them your business. Unfortunately, in this environment, quality doesn't seem to much matter. Funny how when they were in a rathole, they were the hottest thing in town; I guess they're not "cool" anymore.

But ... for those select few who care, they're just as good as they were in Fast Gourmet.

I'm sure street visibility is an issue, but I really wonder if their name has had any negative impact. I know it shouldn't matter, but TakeEatEasy is one of the worst restaurant names I've ever heard. I think restaurant names are like job application cover letters...a good one doesn't really help, but a bad one can really hurt.

I had lunch there about a month ago. They were out of half of the menu. Out of the chivito. Out of most of the tapas. I ended up with the shrimp and those were lovely but I'm not likely to go back if the food I want to order isn't available.

Tried to stop in for lunch on a Saturday earlier this month.  Despite the hours posted saying they opened at noon on Saturday, it was 12:40 and it was shut as tight as a drum.

Ugh.

Is this place still open?  Meeting an old colleague for lunch in a week or so, and he suggested Elephant & Castle - yuck.  But their website is a shell and I'd like to confirm it's still operational before I suggest it.

I'll try to get over there tomorrow to check, but maybe give them a call? And if that doesn't work for you, I suggest either Vidalia (they are often running their lunch special for $19.99) or Teddy & the Bully Bar around the corner.

I hate to continue the trend of posts simply about whether they are open or not, but PSA--just walked by now on a Friday at lunchtime with the intention of going there, and the doors were locked.

It's fine - anytime a place like this isn't open for lunch on a Friday afternoon, it's odd. It could be the snow, but maybe not.

I hate to continue the trend of posts simply about whether they are open or not, but PSA--just walked by now on a Friday at lunchtime with the intention of going there, and the doors were locked.

It's fine - anytime a place like this isn't open for lunch on a Friday afternoon, it's odd. It could be the snow, but maybe not.

Based on their Facebook page, they were closed Jan. 11 until Jan 17 for kitchen renovations, and then they've been open at night.  And on Feb. 14, TakEatEasy posted the following:

Takeateasy is now open again with a special schedule until renovations are completed.

Monday - Thursday :

5pm to 11pm

Friday - Saturday

5pm to 5am

We will let everybody know of any schedule updates.

Based on their hours and their DJ and band nights, it looks like they've been focusing more on a nighttime rather than lunchtime business.

Unless anyone has information to the contrary, I believe TakEatEasy is closed. I can personally attest that it hasn't been open during the day for months, and this week I happened by both Monday night and tonight and it was closed both times. There's also no sign of any renovations.

Unless anyone has information to the contrary, I believe TakEatEasy is closed. I can personally attest that it hasn't been open during the day for months, and this week I happened by both Monday night and tonight and it was closed both times. There's also no sign of any renovations.

I've seen a few similar photos. Looks like it is likely closed.

Yeah, they haven't updated their Facebook page since February 20, and the phone number is disconnected. :(

In this neighborhood, they needed to be mostly carryout lunch, with a grab-n-go pile of pre-made sandwiches, in about 30% of the space.

My guess is that they simply didn't have the square footage to switch to a nightclub model.

They were good. Retired in Italic.

• Like 1