Peter Chang China Cafe, Szechuan Restaurant Chain Undergoing Expansion

Yes John, I agree... When Peter cooks, it's amazing.  Unfortunately, Peter isn't in all 3000 restaurants he now has his name on.  Ever hear of "cheapening the brand"?  I'm all for Peter making all the money he wants, I've donated my share and I certainly don't begrudge giving him any of it.  However, that has nothing to do with the dumbing down the menu at all of those restaurants. It's the fact that no matter how good the food is when he's there, if he's not in the kitchen, the food is NEVER as good.

And I know you live in Robbinsville which isn't exactly the center of the universe, so here's a link to P. F. Chang's.

(gosh, I put a "J" instead of an "F".  Must be getting old or something...and bromances are so outdated).

I'm going to say this for about the 500th time in the past ten years.

"Chefs" who run more than one restaurant will often say they can pull it off just as well when they aren't in the kitchen.

Unless they hire someone better than them, they can't. They're lying to you. Every single one of them is lying.

What kills me the most are these "seasoned" food writers saying how "naive" it is to think the chef needs to be in the kitchen. They're lying to themselves, and consequently to you - because they seem to honestly believe their own misguided dictums.

• Like 2

Before coming to Virginia with a plan to eat at three of his places in 24 hours, I asked one of my operatives in the state to gather intelligence from a source inside Chang headquarters. "The betting on Chef's whereabouts "” and he generally informs no one of where he intends to pop up "” is Monday-Tuesday in Virginia Beach, Wednesday-Thursday in Richmond, and Friday-Saturday in Fredericksburg," my informant wrote. "I'm assuming it's subject to change on a whim."

Let it be known that the "operative" in question was yours truly....

• Like 5

Can we all pretty much agree that Peter Chang is a *great* cook, but that the expansion of his restaurants is virtually meaningless now that they're sprawling all over the Mid-Atlantic? At some point, I think we should start a thread in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum, and let this thread start to collect some dust.

• Like 1

Can we all pretty much agree that Peter Chang is a *great* cook, but that the expansion of his restaurants is virtually meaningless now that they're sprawling all over the Mid-Atlantic? At some point, I think we should start a thread in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum, and let this thread start to collect some dust.

But for those first few weeks when he's actually in the kitchen...

i'm not sure what you're getting at here. do you mean because he has so many places, they're not great or worthy of particular comment? or that because he has so many places, there's no need to have a thread on finding him? if the former, i definitely disagree, as even though he hasn't cooked there in a while i'm always qite happy to eat at his place in charlottesville, but if the latter, that makes sense.

i'm not sure what you're getting at here. do you mean because he has so many places, they're not great or worthy of particular comment? or that because he has so many places, there's no need to have a thread on finding him? if the former, i definitely disagree, as even though he hasn't cooked there in a while i'm always qite happy to eat at his place in charlottesville, but if the latter, that makes sense.

[This is all I mean.]

• Like 1

According to Dave McIntyre, Peter Chang will be opening a restaurant in Rockville this fall.

Here is the official press release (slightly edited):

PETER CHANG WILL OPEN A NEW RESTAURANT

AT ROCKVILLE TOWN SQUARE 

Rockville, MD (August 19, 2014) "“ Federal Realty Investment Trust announced today that esteemed chef, Peter Chang, will open a new restaurant at Rockville Town Square in early 2015. This will be Chang's sixth restaurant, and first location in Maryland. 

The 3,100 square foot restaurant will specialize in healthy and traditional Chinese cuisine and will be unique in concept from his other locations. Chang's namesake restaurant will serve dishes like Peter Chang's Duck in Stone Pot and Grandma's Steamed Pork Belly, which is first marinated, then steamed and finally pan-fried until golden brown. 

"Peter Chang is synonymous with remarkable Chinese cuisine and has earned a cult following in the region," said Robin McBride, Vice President, Mid-Atlantic Region Chief Operating Officer. Adding, "We're thrilled to welcome Mr. Chang and look forward to bringing his critically-acclaimed cuisine to Rockville."

Peter Chang attended the Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine, where he received the title of Master Chef and graduated first in his class. Chang went on to win national cooking competitions in China and once served as chef at the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. The award-winning chef has acquired loyal fans that frequent his restaurants for classic Chinese dishes and authentic culinary creations that have received national attention. Peter Chang's Rockville Town Square restaurant will be open daily from 11:00am to 1:00am.

About Rockville Town Square

Rockville Town Square consists of 180,000 square feet of street-level restaurants and shops, 644 condominiums and apartments, a 7,200 square foot outdoor ice skating rink (open seasonally), 2,000 parking spaces, Montgomery County's flagship 100,000 square-foot library and a dynamic community square. Adjacent to the library is VisArts: the Metropolitan Center for the Visual Arts at Rockville, a 40,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art visual arts center offering classes and workshops, exhibitions for adults and children, special events, and event space. In fall 2012, Rockville Town Square welcomed Dawson's Market and American Tap Room, now open. For more information, please visit http://www.rockvilletownsquare.com/ or follow on Facebook and Twitter.  

About Federal Realty:

Federal Realty Investment Trust is an equity real estate investment trust specializing in the ownership, management, development, and redevelopment of high quality retail assets. Federal Realty's portfolio (excluding joint venture properties) contains approximately 20 million square feet located primarily in strategically selected metropolitan markets in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and California. In addition, the Trust has an ownership interest in approximately 1.0 million square feet of retail space through a joint venture in which the Trust has a 30% interest. Our operating portfolio (excluding joint venture properties) was 95.3% leased to national, regional, and local retailers as of June 30, 2014, with no single tenant accounting for more than approximately 3.2% of annualized base rent. Federal Realty has paid quarterly dividends to its shareholders continuously since its founding in 1962, and has increased its dividend rate for 47 consecutive years, the longest record in the REIT industry. Federal Realty is an S&P MidCap 400 company and its shares are traded on the NYSE under the symbol FRT.

• Like 3

I've been to a couple of events where Peter Chang has cooked and the dishes have been fantastic.  was just at Peter Chang's in Charlottesville the other day- he was not there- and the dishes we had were top-notch. The dry fried eggplant is one of my favorite dishes, and I can't wait to have a location nearby so I can get this dish on a regular basis. It's hard to compare a restaurant dish with something he prepares for a special event that is more complex.  Still, I am thrilled that Peter Chang is opening a Rockville location.

As a resident of this part of Arlington, and always hoping for decent food options, this is something to look forward to. But, can the parking lot in the Lee-Harrison lot accommodate the additional cars that this will attract?! 

Not unless HT shoppers actually use the underground lot.

• Like 1

As a resident of this part of Arlington, and always hoping for decent food options, this is something to look forward to. But, can the parking lot in the Lee-Harrison lot accommodate the additional cars that this will attract?!

Considering that 1) Oriental Gourmet was mostly carryout and delivery 2) Peter Chang will be mostly dine-in, and 3) that parking lot is already hellish, the answer is, "No, it cannot accommodate the additional cars that this will attract." My confidence level about this is very high.

I've gotten a chance to try Oriental Gourmet several times in the past year, and I'll miss it - the "Peter Chang" name *might be* a step up, but it also might not be. Does anyone know when Oriental Gourmet would close?

Anything here in the metro area would be great, but with the proposed number of places, quality control is a concern. 

It's not just a "concern"; it's a problem - a big problem. Honestly, I'm not even all that excited that it's coming here.

In anticipation of five restaurants opening, I have it ranked *behind* A&J in the Multiple Locations Dining Guide (recall, my criterion for ranking in this guide is "How good is the worst location in the chain?") No, I don't actually "know," but I can take a pretty good guess, as Szechuan cooks don't magically appear out of nowhere, and A&J has maintained very good quality control at both their locations over the years (which is something they should be quite proud of).

• Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly with Don.  I ate at PC's restaurant in Charlottesville when he was in the kitchen and when he wasn't.  When Peter's in the kitchen, food magic.  When someone else is leading the orchestra, a pale imitation. Is Peter banking on his reputation?  Undoubtedly.  Does he deserve to bank on that reputation?  He certainly deserves all the acccolades, unfortunately, he can't be in every restaurant all the time.

Not unless HT shoppers actually use the underground lot.

That's for sure, when this shopping center was on the way home for me when I worked in Georgetown, I called it "The Plaza of the Angry Yuppie" (La Plaza de los Yuppies Enojado?), what with the too-narrowly drawn parking spaces and the obnoxious behavior of many of the people I encountered in the stores and the parking lot.

• Like 1

"The Plaza of the Angry Yuppie" (La Plaza de los Yuppies Enojado?)

Oooh this is good.  I like that name.  We often park in the underground portion when we are going to dinner.  There are ALWAYS spots underground, no matter day or time, and you don't have to put up with the obnoxious drivers, as much.  I also really enjoy seeing how people park illegally in this lot, my husband does not find this an amusement.  I will admit though there are a fair number of decent restaurants and shops in this plaza, so I can see why it is busy.

It's not just a "concern"; it's a problem - a big problem. Honestly, I'm not even all that excited that it's coming here.

Feel the same way actually. Also might need a break from Chinese since we've having it quite frequently the past two months.  I'm not sure why, but I find the Chinese restaurants that we frequent in this area have the largest fluctuations in quality compared to other cuisines such as Thai or Vietnamese. Maybe the food is more difficult to make or its harder to retain good quality chefs.

I I I am excited. Yes, it's only celestial when Peter Is In The House, helas. And I doubt they will ever recapture the magic of the early days of China Star. I think maybe because Mrs. Chang is no longer in the picture, working her magic, and they've learned the hard way that they can't afford to sell celestial food to the everyday masses. Even the fancy Chinese New Year event at a DC venue last year, can't remember the place, disappointed.

But it's still solid Szechuan food, and still welcome. Seriously honestly who is better for this, here?

• Like 1

You are up way too early for comments. Do they get saltier as the day goes along Escoffier? Go back to bed

I know Escoffier, and he's up this early every single work day.

"Early to bed, and early to rise, make a man h ...," wait a minute - Escoffier, Go Back To Bed! :)

I'm going to say this for about the 500th time in the past ten years.

"Chefs" who run more than one restaurant will often say they can pull it off just as well when they aren't in the kitchen.

Unless they hire someone better than them, they can't. They're lying to you. Every single one of them is lying.

What kills me the most are these "seasoned" food writers saying how "naive" it is to think the chef needs to be in the kitchen. They're lying to themselves, and consequently to you - because they seem to honestly believe their own misguided dictums.

I'm not taking sides on this. I note that Gordon Ramsey is about to open his Atlantic City outpost, and he is unlikely to be there for more than the opening. Does that mean it will suffer from his absence?

I had a wonderful meal at Dominique Krenn's Michelin 2-star restaurant in San Fancisco last year, and she was in New York at the time. I'm not sure what that really means, but she didn't cook my meal, and whoever did, absolutely nailed the roasted marrow.

I had a wonderful meal at Dominique Krenn's Michelin 2-star restaurant in San Fancisco last year, and she was in New York at the time. I'm not sure what that really means, but she didn't cook my meal, and whoever did, absolutely nailed the roasted marrow.

But what are you comparing it to?  Have you eaten there when she WAS in the kitchen?  Maybe there were subtleties that were absent that you wouldn't notice with nothing to compare your dinner to, maybe it was prepared completely differently than she would.  Not to say it wasn't good (even though only having roasted marrow to go on isn't very conclusive), but how do you know it might not have been even better if she were in the kitchen?

• Like 1

But what are you comparing it to?  Have you eaten there when she WAS in the kitchen?  Maybe there were subtleties that were absent that you wouldn't notice with nothing to compare your dinner to, maybe it was prepared completely differently than she would.  Not to say it wasn't good (even though only having roasted marrow to go on isn't very conclusive), but how do you know it might not have been even better if she were in the kitchen?   

Yeah, I ate there four times when she was in the kitchen....I didn't notice a difference.

I said I'm not taking sides in this, but are you trying to say that Thomas Keller's kitchens are only good when he's there?

Yeah, I ate there four times when she was in the kitchen....I didn't notice a difference.

I said I'm not taking sides in this, but are you trying to say that Thomas Keller's kitchens are only good when he's there?

Imho, this is all about the "other skills" apart from great cooking or apart from being a great chef. Business and organizational skills. Some chefs (and I think Keller is clearly one) are able to systematize what they do by either being the rarest of chefs with real business acumen or by having enough humility to partner with someone who brings those skills. Only with that can one hire, retain, measure, develop and motivate staff in more than one location. Only the management skills ensure profitability and growth in more than one location. It's the core reason why the failure rate is so high and why even the Beard-award winning types go out of business. They take the business stuff for granted. Peter Chang, an amazing chef, probably runs his business a bit differently from others like Keller or Stephen Starr.

• Like 1

Again, I'm not taking sides, but this has become an interesting back-and-forth on its own....

On the one hand, we have all seen Eric Ripert galavanting around the world with Bourdain or attending week-long food festivals in the Caribbean, along with the likes of Daniel Boulud and Jose Andres....do their restaurants suffer in their absence?

On the other hand, we've seen Michel Richard fail miserably at managing a distributed empire....and we have the comments in this thread about Peter Chang being in the kitchen and elevating it to greatness, or else not being in the kitchen and it devolves into mediocrity.

What's the difference between the two situations?

When it comes to Peter Chang, my observations over the many years he's been on the scene is that when he starts a restaurant, he's partnering with an owner/investor/manager who cares more about the bottom line than he does.  He's not really a business man, he's an artist.

So, when he is in the kitchen, he's more generous, as well as more skillful.  And when he's not, the people in the kitchen are simply not as skillful nor as generous.

I've posted many times about how many of the excellent dishes at the original China Star were made by his wife, and apparently never to be savored again, alas.  The dipping sauce for the steamed eggplant was superlative.  I've tried many times to duplicate it without success.  She also had a very light hand with wonton wrappers.  Her wontons were gossamer.  I wish she'd come back.

• Like 2

Not at all, but he's the exception to the rule.  As someone above said, maybe it all comes down to business acumen and being able to impart your personality onto the chefs that prepare the food in the absence of the original.  Not all chefs are that good (or lucky).

Not at all, but he's the exception to the rule.  As someone above said, maybe it all comes down to business acumen and being able to impart your personality onto the chefs that prepare the food in the absence of the original.  Not all chefs are that good (or lucky).

Thomas Keller is one big exception to the general rule (and also the one person everyone mentions in this debate). He hires great talent for his two flagships (he cultivated and maintained long-lasting relationships through years of toil at The French Laundry), and keeps Bouchon simple enough where he only needs to hire good talent. We won't be able to pull great Szechuan chefs out of a magic hat - it's possible that Chang may try to get people from China, but I'm not qualified to prognosticate on such a leap.

• Like 1

Again, I'm not taking sides, but this has become an interesting back-and-forth on its own....

On the one hand, we have all seen Eric Ripert galavanting around the world with Bourdain or attending week-long food festivals in the Caribbean, along with the likes of Daniel Boulud and Jose Andres....do their restaurants suffer in their absence?

On the other hand, we've seen Michel Richard fail miserably at managing a distributed empire....and we have the comments in this thread about Peter Chang being in the kitchen and elevating it to greatness, or else not being in the kitchen and it devolves into mediocrity.

What's the difference between the two situations?

Different businesses. One type is a restauranteur that thrives or struggles dependent on the place (or places) to cover all expenses and generate enough profit. The other type is more a celebrity than restauranteur. That isn't to say that Keller, Ripert, or even Flay or Batali aren't exceptional chefs. It's that those guys are really in show business (TV, books, product licensing) more than cooking to earn a living. With that kind of income, there is another decision to make. Maintain quality or maximize revenue? I'd argue Keller has done the former and Flay the latter. But, for 99%, the battle to generate sufficient (and enduring) income is real and dependent on the local market valuing what the restaurant (or 2, 3) is offering. At that 1-3 unit scale, the business acumen is key and, all too often, taking it for granted leads to struggle.

Thomas Keller is one big exception to the general rule (and also the one person everyone mentions in this debate). He hires great talent for his two flagships (he cultivated and maintained long-lasting relationships through years of toil at The French Laundry), and keeps Bouchon simple enough where he only needs to hire good talent. We won't be able to pull great Szechuan chefs out of a magic hat - it's possible that Chang may try to get people from China, but I'm not qualified to prognosticate on such a leap.

Lots of other examples aside from Keller depending on how one defines the admittedly rare, but not unique or endangered, species.

• Like 1

That isn't to say that Keller, Ripert, or even Flay or Batali aren't exceptional chefs. It's that those guys are really in show business (TV, books, product licensing) more than cooking to earn a living. With that kind of income, there is another decision to make. Maintain quality or maximize revenue? I'd argue Keller has done the former and Flay the latter. 

Good description of the difference between substance and a marketed brand.

Personally, I think the 'sell-outs' are like small IT companies that get brought out by larger ones. I don't blame these chefs, since getting the firing sequence correct: front house service, wait and kitchen staff moving all those cylinders correctly and producing high quality food seems to be something that works for a ten to fifteen year period before they get burnt out.

The chefs need to make their money before bad knees, other health issues develop,...forcing them out of the kitchen.

• Like 1

Good description of the difference between substance and a marketed brand.

Personally, I think the 'sell-outs' are like small IT companies that get brought out by larger ones. I don't blame these chefs, since getting the firing sequence correct: front house service, wait and kitchen staff moving all those cylinders correctly and producing high quality food seems to be something that works for a ten to fifteen year period before they get burnt out.

The chefs need to make their money before bad knees, other health issues develop,...forcing them out of the kitchen.

Considering how short this post was, the second and third paragraphs were outstanding.

• Like 1

As I was walking out the door with my order, the lady at the counter thanked me for my business because they are closing tomorrow! It appears the current owners have sold the restaurant. I was nearing the door with hot food, and so didn't ask to see if it was re-opening under new ownership or closing for good. Anyway, tomorrow night may be the last night to get their excellent fish dish! The fact that I now have to find a new Chinese food place is a major disappointment. Boo!

It's becoming a Peter Chang satellite - keep your fingers crossed (here's their website).

Don't get your hopes up: it's going to be a fast-casual restaurant called Peter Chang Wok.

Chang's daughter is named Lydia, and this ad says the managers are named Chuck and Lydia:

post-2-0-48454200-1425773331_thumb.png

I live literally a couple minutes away from this place, so if it's even halfway decent, I'm sure I'll be able to keep you abreast of things over time. I'm sure it will start out being very good; what matters is six months from now. Funny, I lived a couple minutes away from China Star when Chang was there, too - it's déja vu all over again, sort of.

I want my globular puff back.

Regardless, hats off to Oriental Gourmet for an extended run being one of the best Americanized Chinese restaurants in the DC area.

It's becoming a Peter Chang satellite - keep your fingers crossed (here's their website).

Don't get your hopes up: it's going to be a fast-casual restaurant called Peter Chang Wok.

Chang's daughter is named Lydia, and this ad says the managers are named Chuck and Lydia:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-03-07 at 19.13.43.png

I live literally a couple minutes away from this place, so if it's even halfway decent, I'm sure I'll be able to keep you abreast of things over time. I'm sure it will start out being very good; what matters is six months from now. Funny, I lived a couple minutes away from China Star when Chang was there, too - it's déja vu all over again, sort of.

I want my globular puff back.

According to the Post, it soft opens this weekend. And it's not fast casual, but the "usual" Chang menu.

• Like 2