Fabian's, South American and Mexican in the Food Court at Ballston Common Mall, Closed

This reminded me I've been meaning to post about Fabian's for some time. Located in Ballston Mall's food court, their location is not ideal, but the food is markedly better (and cheaper) than other nearby Mexican places (the now defunct Chevy's and Uncle Julio's). The beef and chicken enchiladas and tacos are quite good, and the tortillas are marketed as house made. I have never tried the South American dishes outside of a pupusa, but, for what its worth, this place is frequented often by what I assume are people of South and Central American descent. The proprietor is nice and eager to please. Many of the menu items are cooked to order, the wait time for those dishes is usually a few minutes. Caveats: the pupusas are middling at best, along the lines of Tortilla Cafe's, and the rice and beans are unremarkable by themselves.

Website

• Like 1

I remember this place! I used to go on occasion about 5 years ago when I worked in Ballston.

Never got the Mexican dishes. Puerco Horneado and Lomo Saltado were fine. Spectacular for a mall food court, but pretty run-of-the-mill compared to other area South American places. Rotisserie chicken was not great.

This reminded me I've been meaning to post about Fabian's for some time. Located in Ballston Mall's food court, their location is not ideal, but the food is markedly better (and cheaper) than other nearby Mexican places (the now defunct Chevy's and Uncle Julio's). The beef and chicken enchiladas and tacos are quite good, and the tortillas are marketed as house made. I have never tried the South American dishes outside of a pupusa, but, for what its worth, this place is frequented often by what I assume are people of South and Central American descent. The proprietor is nice and eager to please. Many of the menu items are cooked to order, the wait time for those dishes is usually a few minutes. Caveats: the pupusas are middling at best, along the lines of Tortilla Cafe's, and the rice and beans are unremarkable by themselves.

Website

Thanks for this post - I never knew about Fabian's. Will it be around a year from now?

"Ballston Common Mall Being Primed for Makeover"

I remember this place! I used to go on occasion about 5 years ago when I worked in Ballston.

Never got the Mexican dishes. Puerco Horneado and Lomo Saltado were fine. Spectacular for a mall food court, but pretty run-of-the-mill compared to other area South American places. Rotisserie chicken was not great.

When Bob and I are at the mall, we stop by for their chicken empanadas. I think the wrappers are eggroll skins, but they use fresh chicken in them and they're tastier than one might expect.