Little Rock, AR

goldenticket

Branching off from the Stuttgart, AR thread...

I've never been in Stuttgart, Arkansas although I've been in both Stuttgart, Germany and Little Rock many times each. http://www.cajunswharf.com/ is the link to a restaurant on the river in Little Rock that I like and believe is excellent if you're travelling on business and want a good meal in a nice environment with some personality. No, it's not Fisher's bbq (worth a trip) nor McClard's in Hot Springs (40 miles?), certainly not Restaurant August but it would be worth the round trip drive. I also do not want to sound arrogant but with 30+ years of heavy travel-and all due respect to Days Inn and Best Western-I would commute to Stuttgart from Little Rock and stay in the Peabody http://www.peabodylittlerock.com/ Cajun's Wharf is less than a mile away.

For a serious alternative in Little Rock I'd also give consideration to Doe's Eat Place which has a great deal of character and a national reputation: http://www.doeseatpl...et/history.html It's just a few blocks from Cajun's Wharf. If I could only choose one it may be Doe's. Or, I'd drive in from Suttgart on successive nights and try both. If you choose Doe's you'll probably love it. Then, some time some way you'll have to try the original in Greenville which is a Great American restaurant.

The Fried Catfish Poor Boy at the Flying Fish in Little Rock is absolutely amongst my favorite sandwiches.

http://flyingfishinthe.net/LittleRock.php

I've already mentioned Flying Fish in a Memphis post, but I also enjoyed my meal at the Little Rock location. This time the Mas Shrimp Salad ("Snappy Snappy") hit the spot for a relatively healthy lunch. A generous portion of grilled shrimp, mixed greens (a treat after weeks of iceberg salads...), other veggies, and tortilla strips, topped with a tangy dressing and two hush puppies.

Dugan's Pub is a lively spot with a menu that should have something to suit everyone; burgers, Irish favorites, salads, sandwiches, etc. The RLT(BLT with Irish rashers) with a fried egg was good, but I think the BLT with peppered bacon might have been better. Owned by a local who makes a lot of items from scratch.

Andina Cafe is a cute little coffee shop with a nice selection of breakfast and lunch items. My egg and cheese wrap and cafe au lait hit the spot on a rainy morning. Judging from the animated conversation going on between a few regulars, it would be a nice spot to spend a few hours.

Dizzy's Gypsy Bistro is pretty much as it sounds - a funky local restaurant with a menu that is kind of all over the place. I found the Electra's Baked Chicken Casserole rather bland. White rice topped with white meat chicken, mushrooms, and white alfredo sauce - sounded like comfort food on a cold, dreary night, but missed the mark. Dining companions were all very happy with their choices (Tallulah's Arkansas Saffron Creole, Bacon Encrusted Walleye, a couple of pasta dishes), and we all enjoyed the shared "Award Winning" cheese dip starter and our bites of dessert (butter cake and the big brownie). The decor is eclectic, the service was good, even with several large tables (including ours). I'd go back, but probably avoid the richer sounding items on the menu.

Like Flying Fish, Bosco's is another regional chain with 3 other locations (Memphis, Nashville, and Franklin, TN). A decent beer selection, a pizza oven, along with steaks, salads, and able to handle large groups with ease.

The Ottenheimer Market Hall has a wide array of food choices that can be enjoyed in a bright, open setting. Sweet Soul serves up grilled or fried catfish, chicken, and pork chops, along with the usual sides (greens, black eyed peas, etc) and specials like Chicken Spaghetti and Beef Tips over rice; all come with a little splash of sass ;) Other choices in the Hall include Middle Eastern, sushi, Thai, vegetarian, Italian. Boulevard Bread adjoins the Market Hall and their seating is open to Hall customers. They have some very nice pastries and a selection of salads and sandwiches. I thoroughly enjoyed the strawberry cream cake (an extra-moist pound cake with lots of berries throughout, topped with a gooey icing) along with my latte. Very friendly service as well.

All of the above are in the River Market District.

The Cafe at Heifer Village (located on the headquarters campus of Heifer International - worth a visit) serves sandwiches, pizza, soups, salads, and pasta in an airy corner of the "Village". Half of a Ms. T's Favorite - grilled pimento cheese with bacon and tomato - and a cup of chili made for a filling lunch.

We did not make it Doe's Eat Place (this time). We were deterred by the limited menu (steak, steak, or salmon), late meals due to our schedule, and the prospect of family style dining with a group of sick/recovering folks. I do hope to go back and check it out sometime soon, along with a lot more of Little Rock - it seems like an interesting city with a lot going on!

Further west, Brown's Catfish in Russellville, is a HUGE buffet of not just catfish (very nicely fried), but a whole mess of other stuff. Not the kind of place I seek out, but a nice option instead of the chains that are the other option for a big group.