Photo

Water & Wall, by the Owners of Maple Ave. Restaurant - Fairfax Drive in Virginia Square

Arlington Virginia Square Modern American

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,659 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's too soon to break this news, but unfortunately, ARLnow.com got ahold of public records, and is going to break the story if I don't. So, with the blessings of Tim Ma and Joey Hernandez ...

Tim and Joey, the owners of Maple Ave. Restaurant in Vienna, will be opening Water & Wall at 3811 N. Fairfax Drive in Virginia Square (in the old Pines of Florence space).

"Water and Wall" is the intersection of where Tim and Joey lived in New York City when Tim was attending the French Culinary Institute, and interning at Momofuku Ko.

In Joey's words, "It was in that building that we started to draft our ideas of owning a restaurant. We created menus there, created dishes there, etc. So, essentially, it was where the dream was born."

The style of cuisine, and values of the restaurant, will carry over from Maple Ave. Restaurant, but Water and Wall will have its own identity.

There is no word at all on an opening date, although it may well be in 2013. Tim and I talked about some of his culinary visions awhile back, but things are just too nascent and dynamic to even discuss.

So I'm sorry this news is out so soon, but I'm happy to say congratulations, both to Tim and Joey, and also to the residents of Virginia Square.

Cheers,

Rocks

P.S., also in Joey's own words: "In terms of Maple Ave: Our sous chef Nyi Nyi Mint will take over tomorrow as Chef De Cuisine. Nyi Nyi will also help out with Water & Wall. Nyi Nyi was trained by David Thompson, chef and creator of Nahm in London. Nyi Nyi also spent time in London's Hakkasan before it was bought out by corporate. Tim will continue to be the Executive Chef for Maple Ave."

P.P.S. Sorry for the earlier, cloddish Tweets - I was half-asleep (just woke up from a much-needed nap!)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#2 DrXmus

DrXmus

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Vienna Patch has name-dropped donrockwell.com in their article on the new restaurant.

Sandy Christmus

http://www.ovvhpets.com

Vienna, VA

Why is it that to doctor a document is to falsify it, but to vet it is to check it for its accuracy? - Anu Garg

#3 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

This is exciting, it is right down the street from me.  (Doing the happy dance.)

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#4 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Water and Wall is getting close to opening!  They have updates on their Facebook page.

An EaterDC article in September said Nov. 1 was the scheduled opening date, and in this Oct. 25 Zagat preview interview with Tim Ma and Joey Hernandez, Tim Ma says the target date is [still] Nov. 1! 

I'm looking forward to trying Water and Wall when it opens, especially because I haven't been able to try Maple Ave Restaurant yet.

#5 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Opening on Sat, Nov. 2 via Northern Virginia Magazine.  They also have the menu.

#6 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,659 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Opening on Sat, Nov. 2 via Northern Virginia Magazine.  They also have the menu.

Vienna Patch has name-dropped donrockwell.com in their article on the new restaurant.

This is great news for the residents of Virginia Square.

In case anyone hasn’t figured it out by now, I’m grateful when media outlets name-drop us. It’s the correct and professional thing to do, and something that I will always aspire to, in terms of accrediting my fellow journalists for their original work.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#7 Bart

Bart

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Anyone been to this place yet?

Taking Don's advice from my question in the "help needed" forum, my wife and I stopped by this place last night.  We had very limited time between work and a 7 pm commitment so we only got drinks and apps.

There were lots of parking spots available on the street and we parked directly in front of the place.  Surprising for a Friday night I thought.  We got there a little after 6 (in time for free parking) and left a little after 7.  The place looked fairly empty, but we were there early and stayed only in the bar area.  When you walk in, there's a 10 or so seats at the bar and a few low tables with seating for another 10 or so.  The main restaurant is to the right of the door/bar area and we never went in there so I'm not sure what what happening in there.

The service was great - very friendly, casual, fun and attentive.  Our main server was the bartender but we also interacted with a couple other women (hostess and manager maybe?).  They were all very hot!  ;-)  When we sat down our server/bartender asked if she could check our coats and we said no thanks, but a couple minutes later my wife's coat slipped off the chair next to her and when she picked it up to stuff it in the corner, the hostess noticed this and ran over and asked if she could check it for us.  Nice catch on her part!  A little later in the meal, a third woman (manager?) stopped by and asked how our food was and if the wings were too hot.  I sort of joked that they could be hotter and she immediately offered to bring out some hotter sauce.  It wasn't at all necessary, and we had a nice chat about the place and how they are going to expanding the menu and offering new dishes.

The menu itself was pretty small.  You can see it on their site, but there were only maybe 10 entrees and 10 apps.  (just checked....it's actually 9 of each).  They also had an additional appetizer and main course special that was not on the menu.  Actually the menu online is similar but different to the one we saw last night.

Since our time was short, we only ordered apps, but they had happy hour specials on 3 apps and a couple mixed drinks and a few whites, reds and one rose.  They all looked to be about half price from the regular menu.

We got the octopus special which was good, but not as tender as the most recent one I had at Kapnos.  We also got the steak frites with truffle aioli, chicken wings with your typical buffalo wing sauce spruced up with creme fraiche, and the sweet breads.  The sweet breads were served on a bed of relish and covered with the (now) very spicy wing sauce (this time without the creme fraiche).  It was a very interesting combo that worked well.  The sweet breads themselves were melt in your mouth delicious......they could be "tongue chewed".  No teeth required!  They were my favorite dish of the night.

Four glasses of wine and four appetizers only cost us 63 bucks before tip (happy hour pricing) but because of the great service the meal ended up being just shy of $80!   ;-)

This is not really a convenient area for us to get to, and it's not close to home, but if I'm ever in the area again, I'd make a effort to go back.  Two thumbs up!

• jasonc likes this

#8 BookGuy

BookGuy

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I went there on Saturday with a couple I know.  We arrived early at five pm and the place wasn't crowded but there were some people at the bar.  We shared a sweet potato gnocchi small plate which was fine.  I had the bouliabasse which was a nice dish of various sea foods which was, true to the menu's warning, spicy and hot, a tribute to the chef's Thai background.  The couple got a duck confit and hanger steak which they said was good.  I do know that the Post's critics recommended both.  The wine is served in water glasses.  When we left, the place was crowded and there were quite a few groups of young women dining together.  The restaurant has ample street parking, free after six, and is very close to both the Virginia Square and Ballston Metro stops.

The name Water and Wall comes from the intersection near where the chef/owner lived in New York.

#9 jiveturk21

jiveturk21

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Went with a large group on Monday night.  We got there early (5:30 PM) and it was President's Day and there was snow on the ground, so we had the run of the restaurant for a while.  Service was great, I would say it was nearly perfect.  Food was close to that level as well, particularly the sweetbreads, duck confit and pecan shortbread.  Bar was limited, but had good choices.  Limited selection on the wine list as well, but again, pretty good choices (although I always want a larger wine list).

When it comes down to it, this is the best restaurant that I have been to all year at this point.  I won't say that it is at the top level of restaurants in the area, but it isn't trying to be that either.  Almost perfect for what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users