One Hour Weekday Lunches near Washington Hilton (N. Dupont Circle)

bonmot

Hi All,

I'm coming to DC in early April for a conference held at the Washington Hilton (1919 Connecticut Ave NW). I've got about 1 hour for lunch beginning at 12:15-12:30. From my research using this site and a few other resources, I've got a list of restaurants which might be feasible traveling on foot. I'll provide a starter list below. Please give me your feedback on best bets, other options not on the list as well as which ones would be good choices for dinner instead.

[edit - updated list with content from thread]

Updated list (asterisks for those you think will work):

• Thaiphoon
  • Teaism***
  • Regent Thai
  • Keren
  • Las Canteras
  • Amsterdam Falafelshop*
  • Old City Cafe
  • Firefly (cab or dinner)*
  • Chop't
  • Moby Dick House of Kabab
  • CF Folks (cab)**
  • DGS Delicatessen** (cab or dinner)
  • Thai Chef
  • Bistro du Coin

Additions

• Sette Osteria* (pizza menu only)
  • Mourayo*
  • Mintwood Place* (cab or dinner)
  • BGR the Burger Joint
  • Food trucks in Dupont Circle
  • Cocova (artisan chocolatier)
  • A.M. Wine Shoppe (wine store which sells sandwiches, charcuterie and cheese)
  • Pleasant Pops (upscale popsicles and sandwiches)
  • Cashions Eat Place (Dinner)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

If you're on foot, traveling south of Dupont Circle is going to be next to impossible if you only have an hour. The restaurants around the Hilton simply are not good. Definitely fit in Teaism, CF Folksduh, and perhaps Mourayo, maybe a pizza (but nothing else) at Sette Osteria. If you can take a cab, fit in DGS Delicatessen, Mintwood Place, and Firefly if Todd Wiss is working.

If I were walking and had no more than 1 hour I'd only look at places at R Street,(1700 block Connecticut avenue) and North which in my mind rules out a lot of places. Sette Osteria for pizza works within that geography, distance, time frame and back and pizza is pretty quick after all.

Now for dinner that is a different story. Much more time

Nora's is within walking distance, and while I haven't been there in over a year it was still terrific, IMHO and if only from the reviews here, DGS is close, and the reviews here are terrific with it hosting a somewhat unique menu.

Starting with Don's recommendations, I would second Teaism and Mourayo as the best nearby options for a quick but good lunch. Teaism is a little more casual, whereas Mourayo is more of a white-tablecloth restaurant with good food and ambiance. They could probably get you in and out in an hour. On the same block, I had lunch at Thai Chef recently and was pleasantly surprised. Sushi and Thai food didn't look promising, but the food and service were quite decent. Not sure how realistic it is to try C.F. Folks, unless you get a cab or Ãœber it both ways for the hour long timeframe. If you walk fast, BGR might work.

I am assuming (since you posted here) that you want quality as well as proximity. One nearby detour you may want to take is around the corner on 18th St. to Cocova, a small but heavenly chocolate store that does occasional tastings and has a wide selection of chocolates from around the world, as well as handmade ones from the likes of DC's own Artisan Confections. If you are a chocolate fiend, or want to take back a really useful souvenir, that would be worth the trip.

And please do share with us what works for you. Some locals are interested in this subject too!

Thanks for the to-date suggestions, all. I've got a pretty long stride, so covering a decent amount of distance quickly isn't a problem (other than waiting at traffic signals). It seems like some of my choices really were too far afield for lunch. I've only walked around Dupont Circle once, and it was at a different time of day. Chop'd did seem a little different than the others to me too, but I was trying to keep an open mind:-)

Updated list (asterisks for those you think will work):

• Thaiphoon
  • Teaism**
  • Regent Thai
  • Keren
  • Las Canteras
  • Amsterdam Falafelshop
  • Old City Cafe
  • Firefly (cab or dinner)*
  • Chop't
  • Moby Dick House of Kabab
  • CF Folks (cab or dinner)**
  • DGS Delicatessen** (cab or dinner)

Additions

• Sette Osteria (pizza menu only)
  • Mourayo
  • Mintwood Place (cab or dinner)
  • BGR the Burger Joint
  • Food Trucks in Dupont Circle
  • Cocova (artisan chocolatier)
  • Mari Vanna (Russian)
  • Like 1

If you are not focused on a sit-down, order-from-waiter, experience, I would suggest:

Amsterdam Falafel, which is on your list - google maps shows it as 0.5 miles, a pleasant walk along Columbia Rd and Wyoming, and the falafel sandwiches (with a huge bar of put-them-on-yourself toppings) and fries are good. This is not a big "atmosphere" place by any means, but is cheap and good.

I have had a good sandwich at A.M. Wine Shoppe, 0.4 miles from hotel - as name says it is a wine store, but they sell some sandwiches and there is a table where you can sit and eat it if you want - you may be the only person there (as I was, when I went).

One more thought is Pleasant Pops, which started out as a truck selling "artisanal" (they may not have used that word, but probably did ...) popsicles and now has a sandwich/market place - I stopped in once and didn't see anything that grabbed me, but it seemed pleasant (hah) and is probably worth checking out the website.

Teaism: saltyoatcookie saltyoatcookie saltyoatcookie

Chop't: not in the same league as many of the others, but I think they make pretty damn good salads; they're only in DC and NY, and you'd definitely get out in less than an hour.

So's Your Mom: I haven't been for a few years, but I always thought of it as a solid deli. The avocado BLT is my favorite sandwich, but their specials are really good; a bagel with the bacon cream cheese or the sun-dried tomato cream cheese is a lovely thing.

Bistrot du Coin: the menu is hit or miss, and the service ain't great, but I'd never turn down a glass of wine and a plate of pate at the bar.

Don't forget Cashion's as a dinner option. Grab a beer at Bedrock first, or after. For BBQ and bourbon, Smoke and Barrel is pretty good and a nice, casual option. And if you're sick of eating out and want to veg in your hotel room, Himalayan Heritage delivers.

For dinner, if you're at all tempted by the thought of visiting a Russian restaurant, resist the urge to go to Russia House and head down Connecticut to Mari Vanna. It's a tad expensive for what it is, but the palmeni (dumplings), vareniki (pierogis), and pirozhok (stuffed buns) are all excelent and make a fine meal by themselves. The beer selection was a bit limited when I was in, but the three Russian beers offered were all interesting (try the Baltika 8 if you like hefeweizens). And the house-flavored vodkas (several of which which were given to me free of charge by the eager bartender) were actually pretty good.

Incidentally, this may be the only "nice" restaurant I've ever seen that serves alphabet soup.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Russian food, RWBooneJr. I appreciate the heads up for Mari Vanna. For some reason I can't seem to edit my previous posts today. If I regain the ability, i'll add it to the list in the first post.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Russian food, RWBooneJr. I appreciate the heads up for Mari Vanna. For some reason I can't seem to edit my previous posts today. If I regain the ability, i'll add it to the list in the first post.

[it expires after a certain time period (48 hours, maybe (*)). I'll add it for you.

What you can do, however, is cut/paste, and add a new post with it, and the clock will reset (I just added it).

(*) This gives people the "drunken-regret amendment," :) but prevents people from willy-nilly going in and deleting or editing 2-year-old posts.]

If you're gonna walk up Columbia Rd to Adams Morgan, I heartily recommend Himalayan Heritage, Bardia's New Orleans Cafe has its moments, Super Tacos for, well, the obvious, another sandwich from So's Yo Mama just may scrap off all my tastebuds from boredom but there was a time when I quite enjoyed it before I ate there way too often, the gyro at Astor continues to vill that void more than adaquetely; several of our staff continue to rave about Mandu down 18th st though I've not made it there yet.

In Dupont, I've always enjoyed Mourayo for clean Greek, I've had memorable specials over the years as well; cheaper and still very tasty and very Greek is Zorba's; I cant even remember the last time I made it out of Bistrot du Coin;

Thanks for keeping the info coming, everyone. I'm getting pretty excited for my trip. One slightly off-topic question. For dinner, when do people begin queuing up for Little Serow in order to get in on the first seating?

Thanks for keeping the info coming, everyone. I'm getting pretty excited for my trip. One slightly off-topic question. For dinner, when do people begin queuing up for Little Serow in order to get in on the first seating?

Lunchtime?

Just kidding. If you're there by 5, or even 5:15 on a weeknight, you're probably fine. Note that they don't fill the dining room immediately - they dribble them in so as not to overwhelm the servers and kitchen. So even if you're "first seating", it doesn't mean you're seated right at 5:30 when they open the doors (unless you're really one of the first few in line).

Hi everyone, my visit for the conference was great. I'll detail my experiences with food I ate near Dupont Circle- lunch and otherwise below. Thanks again for everyone's input and assistance.

Day 0 (travel day):

• Dinner at Food Place Kabob House on P street. The place was pretty busy on a Sunday night, with only two people working (one taking orders and preparing salads, and the other manning the grill). The meat (I had lamb and beef) was a little on the dry side, but the green sauce on the side was really excellent. Portions were a little small for the price considering the type of joint it was. Still, it was pretty tasty.

Day 1

• Lunch at Teasim in Dupont Circle. I was really impressed with the food and the vibe here. This is the perfect lunch spot if you've got an hour to kill at a Washington Hilton conference.
  • Dinner at Bistrot du Coin on Connecticut Ave NW. Opted for the Moules Normandes (appetizer size) and a side of frites. The mussels were plenty for one person. A dinner-sized portion could easily be shared. One of my mussels was off (texture-wise). I don't order them often, so I'm not sure if this is typical. The fries were fine, though nothing to write home about.

Day 2

• Breakfast (carryout) at So's Your Mom in AdMo on Columbia Rd NW. I had a solid egg, bacon and cheese sandwich on a bagel here. I opted for the everything bagel, which was a step too far. I should have stopped at sesame. Still, it was filling and much better than I would have gotten closer to the hotel. I think I heard a microwave running after I placed my order, but I'm trying to block that out of my mind.
  • (skipped lunch so that I would be hungry for...)
  • Dinner at Little Serow. Arrived at 5 pm and got into line, which was 18 deep by that time. Was seated at the bar and had truly exceptional service for the entire evening. The food was as good as advertised, and my only quibble would be the high volume of the music. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Day 3

• Lunch at Amsterdam Falafelshop in AdMo. I had a really tasty lunch here and probably would go back despite the fact that the space is about 1/2 as big as would be necessary for a comfortable ordering and dining experience. Unless you're all alone in the restaurant, the people waiting for their orders get in the way of the people who are trying to use the toppings bar who get in the way of the people who are trying to place an order. It's truly messed-up. The falafel were spot on and the toppings were great, though. I got some attitude from a guy at the counter when I asked for a receipt, though.

I'll try to detail some of my other dining experiences elsewhere in the forum. Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

bonmot

[Edit: I almost forgot, I came back to Dupont Circle the next day for breakfast after the conference was over]

Day 4

• Breakfast at Keren Coffee Shop at Florida and U St NW. This unassuming restaurant is really nicely located for those staying at the Washington Hilton, though it didn't open early enough to be a breakfast option during my conference. I opted for the ful with an over medium egg--asking for it to be spicy. It was a tasty and filling meal. I could have (and probably should have) skipped lunch after eating here. I think modest neighborhood ethnic places like Keren are the way to go. Give it a shot if you enjoy Ethiopian. Eritria is next door to Ethiopia and their food is very similar, I have come to learn.
  • Like 1

Breakfast at Keren Coffee Shop at Florida and U St NW. This unassuming restaurant is really nicely located for those staying at the Washington Hilton, though it didn't open early enough to be a breakfast option during my conference. I opted for the ful with an over medium egg--asking for it to be spicy. It was a tasty and filling meal. I could have (and probably should have) skipped lunch after eating here. I think modest neighborhood ethnic places like Keren are the way to go. Give it a shot if you enjoy Ethiopian. Eritria is next door to Ethiopia and their food is very similar, I have come to learn.

Ethiopian breakfast food is filling and delicious, and you never see anything written about it. The carryout part of Dukem does it as well.

Consider it done. Incidentally, some people on this board might find it interesting what their counterparts on the LTH forum in Chicago have to say about DC dining spots. http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=283

Oh! You're an LTH'er! Cool.

I'm not "proud" of this website often (because "proud" isn't the right word), but I'm really proud that your two Help Needed posts got over 1,000 views and 40 replies - folks here jumped right in and helped a stranger, who is now a friend and a member. That, to me, means a lot.

I thought that lth had shut down. Great to see it still up and running.

There was a lot of anxiety over at LTH when the ownership changed, but I haven't seen any decrease in the quality of posting or moderation there, nor any intrusive monetization. So far so good.

Oh! You're an LTH'er! Cool.

I'm not "proud" of this website often (because "proud" isn't the right word), but I'm really proud that your two Help Needed posts got over 1,000 views and 40 replies - folks here jumped right in and helped a stranger, who is now a friend and a member. That, to me, means a lot.

Well there is a lot to be proud of going on here. People definitely stepped up to help me here (as they did on my first trip). I'd hope that if any of you come onto LTH and ask for suggestions, you'd be welcomed warmly.

• Like 1