A question for the well-informed gourmands on this site -- where can I tuck into a righteous dish of Char Grilled Octopus in our area?

I know that Fabio does this at Fiola on occasion, and I'm betting that Komi also does it. But I'm looking for a less-fine dining establishment, especially in the Virginia suburbs, where a reliable and damned good Char Grilled Octopus can be had.

Please discuss....

This won't help you at all but maybe someone else who wants the same--just had a bite or two of my sister's grilled octopus salad at Salt Tavern in Baltimore. It was delicious. That dish also has giant slabs of pork belly but the octopus is the star.

I don't recall if it was charred or not, but we had an absolutely delicious octopus small plate at Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church recently... I'm not usually the biggest octopus fan, but this was so good I'd gladly reorder it again.... and again. :-)

• Like 1

We're getting one heck of a response here - Bruce, do you care if it's baby octopus (served whole, with head), or regular octopus (often just a tentacle or two)?

Based on your criteria, I'd have gone first with Nostos - not necessarily because it's "the best," but because they take pride in it being a specialty; that said, I think octopus is only as good as when it was last swimming, assuming it's not over-charred (which it often is, and that robs it of all the delicacy).

• Like 1

We're getting one heck of a response here - Bruce, do you care if it's baby octopus (served whole, with head), or regular octopus (often just a tentacle or two)?

Based on your criteria, I'd have gone first with Nostos - not necessarily because it's "the best," but because they take pride in it being a specialty; that said, I think octopus is only as good as when it was last swimming, assuming it's not over-charred (which it often is, and that robs it of all the delicacy).

Either baby or regular, although the regular takes the char nicely. Good mouthfeel too.

I've been to Nostos for lunches, and about all I saw on the menu was a few sparse pieces over a salad. I'll have to try dinner there sometime.

Not to self promote but we have grilled baby rock octopus on our menu with a white bean ragout comprised of path valley white beans, smoked bacon and Serrano ham, mirepoix and smoked paprika. We pick up the beans with clam stock and throw in a few clams then butter and parsley to finish, octo on top and some good olive oil. I personally love the dish, my sous came with it.

• Like 2

Pizzeria Orso's grilled octopus is indeed charred. I've seen it on the menu for the past year at least, so I suspect it's there to stay. Get it, it's terrific.

I used to be a big fan of Green Pig Bistro's grilled octopus, but they've recently made some changes to their menu in the wrong direction. So what used to be a delicious grilled octopus small plate with a couple simple accompaniments became an overloaded and hard to eat crostini with a *barely there* sprinkling of octopus bits.

• Like 1

I was at Nostos last week and had the grilled octopus for lunch. Their prices have escalated and their portions are on the small side. I paid over $20 for one tentacle on a puree of beans....it was delicious, but a second tentacle would have made this a righteous dish in terms of quantity-price ratio.

Pizzeria Orso's grilled octopus is indeed charred.  I've seen it on the menu for the past year at least, so I suspect it's there to stay.  Get it, it's terrific.

I used to be a big fan of Green Pig Bistro's grilled octopus, but they've recently made some changes to their menu in the wrong direction.  So what used to be a delicious grilled octopus small plate with a couple simple accompaniments became an overloaded and hard to eat crostini with a *barely there* sprinkling of octopus bits.

Seems like the northern Virginia consensus is/was Pizzeria Orso....but it doesn't appear on the online menu.

post-2-0-98003300-1449962198_thumb.pngpost-2-0-30900500-1449962307_thumb.png

I was at Nostos last week and had the grilled octopus for lunch. Their prices have escalated and their portions are on the small side. I paid over $20 for one tentacle on a puree of beans....it was delicious, but a second tentacle would have made this a righteous dish in terms of quantity-price ratio.

Seems like the northern Virginia consensus is/was Pizzeria Orso....but it doesn't appear on the online menu.

I was there for lunch last Saturday and didn't see it on the menu -- and I looked for it.  I guess it didn't make the cut when Chef Chemel made menu changes.

A friend had the grilled octopus at the new Barcelona on Wisconsin Ave. She liked it - but was grateful that I told her when she ordered "pulpo" that it was octopus. My favorite has been at Red Hen, although not sure it is on the menu right now. It was served over white beans and greens, if i recall. It was always perfectly charred.

Same question came up today in Tom's chat, his response:

Octopus is becoming like pork belly: ubiquitous! Probably my favorite version right now is the octopus crisped over a wood fire at the recently reviewed Centrolina in CityCenter.

Yeah, I'm the one who asked it! I'm on a focused quest for the best of the best of this dish, and I can't believe there are so few regular menu entree-sized options available....

• Like 1

Lebanese Taverna at Tyson's Galleria has it as a mezze dish on the lunch menu. It's one tentacle, on a delicious little bed of celery and almonds, and today it was nailed to perfection. Perfect char on the outside, nice chew, fresh flavor, everything in harmony. I loved it.

I've had it for lunch at this same restaurant in the past, and sometimes it tastes and looks warmed over from the previous night's service. Not today.

Thumbs up!

• Like 1

The Liberty Tavern in Clarendon has had charred baby octopus (hummus, kale, fennel confit, black olives, paprika aioli) on the menu for some time.  I usually end up ordering it every couple of months or so.  Always tender and satisfying; never rubbery.  $13.25 as an entrée at lunch.  $13.50 as a starter at dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Why is every restaurant serving grilled octopus?  Are octopus falling off the truck?  Sysco has buy a duck and get 10 octopus free deal?  Are people eating these things like they're chicken wings?

There is a rise in cephalopod population and so as a portion of overall fish catches, it is also rising, so that might be why... 

• Like 1

I was watching an Andrew Zimmern show and he was with a fisherman who had developed a new, cheap & easily copied, method for catching octopus.  He made concrete tubes for the octopi to hide in on flat, sandy sea floors and could somewhat determine the size of his catch by the diameter of the tubes he dropped.  He just hauled  them up, squeezed lemon juice on them so the creatures released from the tube, and plopped the tubes back down in the water.  

On 9/19/2017 at 9:59 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Why is every restaurant serving grilled octopus?  Are octopus falling off the truck?  Sysco has buy a duck and get 10 octopus free deal?  Are people eating these things like they're chicken wings?

I think they are serving it, because if it is made properly it tastes awesome!

• Like 1

Help!  Hubby has a bday next week and is craving a really good smoked or grilled octopus. Any recent good suggestions?  He's already dismissed Iron Gate and Siren. Why, I do not know...

I would prefer close to the downtown business district, where we can walk to the restaurant and then drive home, or either in Maryland, or on our way home from downtown to SS.

TIA!

19 minutes ago, squidsdc said:

Help!  Hubby has a bday next week and is craving a really good smoked or grilled octopus. Any recent good suggestions?  He's already dismissed Iron Gate and Siren. Why, I do not know...

I would prefer close to the downtown business district, where we can walk to the restaurant and then drive home, or either in Maryland, or on our way home from downtown to SS.

TIA!

Try this.

Screenshot 2018-01-04 at 17.06.47.png

29 minutes ago, squidsdc said:

Thanks -just not sure he's going to go for Taberna.  :(

You know, they have a nice little bar area in front - almost like 2 Amys' bar, but somewhat dressier (not as dressy as the dining room) - you can get tapas, or the full menu, there, and the wines by the glass are sure to please.

Also, I had the wood-roasted polpo at Centrolina a few years ago, and it was *great* - here's my review.

Screenshot 2018-01-05 at 13.38.44.png

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, DonRocks said:

You know, they have a nice little bar area in front - almost like 2 Amys' bar, but somewhat dressier (not as dressy as the dining room) - you can get tapas, or the full menu, there, and the wines by the glass are sure to please.

Also, I had the wood-roasted polpo at Centrolina a few years ago, and it was *great* - here's my review.

Screenshot 2018-01-05 at 13.38.44.png

Thanks Don. Taberna has memories linked to his first outing after his bypass so probably not the best venue. I did suggest Centrolina, so it's good to have your review for reference!

On 1/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, squidsdc said:

TIA!

The Red Hen has in the past almost always had a grilled octopus app on the menu with varying preparations, and I think one of the best in the city. I don't see it on the current menu posted online, but that is still dated Autumn 2017; might be worth giving them a call and seeing if it is back on.  A quick stop off of North Capitol if that is your route home.