Pho Ha Linh - Vietnamese Noodles and Grill on Sommerset Crossing Drive in Gainesville VA

Since I moved out to PW county a few weeks ago, I've been surprised that I've found some very tasty local options in a sea of chain restaurants. We stopped in a Pho Ha Linh on Friday night after we dropped the to-be-step daughter off at a party. I set expectations appropriately for the place, but was very happy all around. Pho Ha Linh is clean, the staff are extremely friendly, and the menu is pretty comprehensive.

We started off with:

Fresh Spring Rolls (Gá»i Cuốn): Soft rice paper filled with poached shrimps, sliced chicken, lettuce, cilantro, and vermicelli noodles served with a side of peanut sauce

For $3.99 these were a bargain. Two very generous spring rolls with 3 large shrimp per roll and plenty of chicken. Very fresh. They have a variety of rolls on the menu and I wouldn't hesitate to try making a meal out of the appetizers alone.

I had:

Phở Hí  Linh: Slices of round eye steak, well done steak, brisket, tendon, tripe, and beef meatballs

This was a big bowl for $8.95. Before adding any of the accompanying cilantro, sprouts, chili peppers and the like I tasted the broth. It was very good. Not greasy, watery, or muddy like some I've had in the area. I admit to having pretty limited experience with pho, but this seemed very balanced to me. Meat was tender and lean. What fat there was was not chewy or stringy. The tendon was very soft. I've never had tendon in a pho before and I really enjoyed it.

My SO had:

Bíºn Xí o Singapore: Stir fried vermicelli noodles with bean sprouts, eggs, and scallion in a curry sauce

I admit it's not the most adventurous dish, but it was pleasant. I thought the shrimp was generous and there was enough noodles left over for a lunch the next day. I don't remember the price, but I think it was in the $12 range.

Service was prompt and friendly. We walked out spending less than $30 before tip including two non-alcoholic beverages.

Definitely a winner in a Bonefish wasteland.

http://phohalinh.com/index.html

• Like 1