1 bunch sweet basil

2 yellow squash

1 baby bell pepper

1 banana pepper

1 heirloom tomato

1 cucumber

a shopping-bag sized bunch of purslane

eggs, flowers

I still have no idea what to do with the kohlrabi. It mocks me.

Check that. I now know what I'm going to do with the kohlrabi: throw it at my brother. Also, Nils Lofgren called Mom and he is not happy.

(ScotteeM: thanks for the slaw recipe.)

When you shred food with Ben-rin-er,

then you too can say,

"no veggie bothers me"

"no veggie bothers me"

This week's Potomac Vegetable Farm (regular) share included:

3 ears of corn

1 lb green beans

1 lb tomatoes

1 lb potatoes

1 bunch Swiss chard

1 bunch anise hyssop

1 bunch Thai basil

1 lb onions

1 head garlic

I wish I knew how to add photos, because the stuff is beautiful!

ETA: I need to work on my plant identification skills! I initially mistook anise hyssop for lambs quarters. Good thing I did more research!

Edited by ScotteeM

This week's haul from Great Country Farms (1/2 share portion):

Paper sack full of shiro japanese plums (approximaately 25)

4 peaches

Paper sack with a generous portion of green beans

1 large cucumber

2 fair sized beets with greens attached

1 cinnamon basil plant in pot

It's hard to believe that we're on Week 10 of Potomac Vegetable Farm's CSA season!

Last night's bag was heavier than ever, with

White corn, 4 ears

orange cherry tomatoes, 1 pt

red and orange tomatoes, 1 lb

gold potatoes, 1 lb

summer squash, 1 lb

Malabar spinach, 1 bag (grown by Heinz Thomet of Next Step Produce)

parsley, 1 bunch

storage onions, 1 lb

garlic, 1 head

bell peppers, 3 large pale green

Today's regular hare from Potomac Vegetable Farm:

tomatoes, 3-4 lbs

heirloom cherry tomatoe, 1 pt

corn, 4 ears

Romaine lettuce, 1 head

chard, 1 bunch

summer squash, 1 pc

bell peppers, 2

eggplant, 1+ lb

watermelon 1 small (from Heinz)

raspberries, 1 pt

garlic 1 head

Click to see a picture (I still don't know how to get them into posts!)

Fell off the wagon there for a little bit. This week from Fresh and Local:

1 bag chard

2 edamame plants (bushes?)

2 bulbs fennel

1 big bag of Italian basil

2 lbs. little (baby?) sweet potatoes

3 banana peppers

1 bag mizuna

1 bell pepper

Dozen eggs

I'm a little bummed - to say nothing of the farmer - but wet weather, wind shearing, and his labor abandoning him in the middle of August resulted in no corn and few tomatoes this year.

Fell off the wagon there for a little bit. This week from Fresh and Local:

1 bag chard

2 edamame plants (bushes?)

2 bulbs fennel

1 big bag of Italian basil

2 lbs. little (baby?) sweet potatoes

3 banana peppers

1 bag mizuna

1 bell pepper

Dozen eggs

I'm a little bummed - to say nothing of the farmer - but wet weather, wind shearing, and his labor abandoning him in the middle of August resulted in no corn and few tomatoes this year.

Yah, he was full of excuses last year, too...and the year before that, and the year before that. There's always a reason why the selection is so...odd. That's why I stopped subscribing.

I'm still playing a little bit of "Name That Green", but we got a full bag tonight from Potomac Vegetable Farm:

potatoes, both white and purple

sweet potatoes

carrots

some kind of chard with lavender stems

tatsoi

mizuna

salad mix

beets

dill

arugula

I'm sure glad I subscribed to the fall season!

Does anyone have recommendations on which CSAs or co-op farms are the best? I have no preference whether shares need to be picked up or are delivered, but I live in Virginia, so I am limited by location. I'm currently considered buying a 2009 share with Bullrun Farms.

Many thanks!

Does anyone have recommendations on which CSAs or co-op farms are the best? I have no preference whether shares need to be picked up or are delivered, but I live in Virginia, so I am limited by location. I'm currently considered buying a 2009 share with Bullrun Farms.

Many thanks!

Welcome.

Look and See

Many thanks!

I had a share with Bull Run this year and unfortunately, I cannot recommend them. There just wasn't enough variety. We got chili peppers, garlic, eggplant, brown herbs and apples seemingly every week and even when we got different vegetables, they just didn't taste that great. The service was great and the farmers were lovely people...but the vegetables just weren't as awesome as I hoped they would be.

Many thanks!

My husband and I had a share from Bull Run in 2007, and this year we switched to Potomac Vegetable Farm. We're going to stick with PVF for 2009. I felt we got more variety and better quality from PVF, everything was at least rinsed before we got it, and it was much more convenient for us. I agree that Leigh Hauter of Bull Run is a great guy, but I prefer the convenience of just picking up the right-sized bag of veggies over having to select vegetables out of bins according to a list on a white board. His output seemed a little repetitive, too--weeks and weeks of tomatillos and epazote, for example. YMMV.

Oh, and PVF has a pick up location right on my commute route, whereas Bull Run's pickup site was about a 90-minute round trip in rush hour traffic for me.

We joined a CSA last year for the first time and had a mixed experience with it. I am trying to decide wheather to join this year or not. I love the idea of getting fresh local produce with the added benefit of getting to know the farmer and supporting a local farm. The problem was that it was really hard to plan a menu since I could never be sure what I would be getting and in what quantities. I had weeks where I, and every member of my family, was consuming our body weight in tomatoes or greens...and then two weeks later...very little. The farmer had a lot of issues getting enough labor to help in the fields so what we got was often determined by how much got picked and not on what was there.

I felt like, on average, I got my money's worth and think I paid less than I would have at the farmers market. However, I am not sure if I would do the same CSA again. So...to my question...Does anyone have any suggestions of CSAs on or near Capitol Hill that they were happy with and that was consistent?

We joined a CSA last year for the first time and had a mixed experience with it. I am trying to decide wheather to join this year or not. I love the idea of getting fresh local produce with the added benefit of getting to know the farmer and supporting a local farm. The problem was that it was really hard to plan a menu since I could never be sure what I would be getting and in what quantities. I had weeks where I, and every member of my family, was consuming our body weight in tomatoes or greens...and then two weeks later...very little. The farmer had a lot of issues getting enough labor to help in the fields so what we got was often determined by how much got picked and not on what was there.

I felt like, on average, I got my money's worth and think I paid less than I would have at the farmers market. However, I am not sure if I would do the same CSA again. So...to my question...Does anyone have any suggestions of CSAs on or near Capitol Hill that they were happy with and that was consistent?

Living in the Charlottesville area, I am lucky to have access to a number of CSAs and we joined our first one last year. However, my experience was very similar to yours in that the quantity and frankly quality of the produce would vary wildly. I don't know if this option is available near you, but for this year we joined what I guess would be called a farm collective where the produce is culled from a number of area farms. We'll have access to wider range of vegetables (and fruit) and they at least promise to have consistency in what they deliver. We'll see ...

Horse and Buggy Produce

One thing to look for is whether the farm has a cooperative arrangement with other farmers. Our CSA, Potomac Vegetable Farms, supplements their offerings with those from three other farms on weeks when their own harvest is light. It helps ensure more consistent quantities and adds a little extra variety too. (Always appreciated when leafy green fatigue starts to set in!)

Doing a CSA is an admirable task...and something I did for the first time last year. It made me want to go to Farmer's Markets more often. I did my CSA with Bull Run and was unimpressed and bored with the selections most of the time. (I found the farmers to be lovely, charming and passionate people, but not worth the hassle unfortunately. The food lacked.)

Doing a CSA is an admirable task...and something I did for the first time last year. It made me want to go to Farmer's Markets more often. I did my CSA with Bull Run and was unimpressed and bored with the selections most of the time. (I found the farmers to be lovely, charming and passionate people, but not worth the hassle unfortunately. The food lacked.)
Shaggy, my experience with Bull Run was similar. I thought the farmers were wonderful people, but I wasn't as happy with the produce, and the pickup was extremely inconvenient for me. I do miss the fall offering of hogs and steers, though--especially the hogs.

My experience with Potomac Vegetable Farms was much more favorable last year, leading me to decide to renew my subscription with them today. Today is the renewal day for last year's subscribers, and new customers will be able to sign up on 2/15.

For anyone still on the fence about signing up for a CSA this year, it was mentioned on the milk thread but South Mountain Creamery is going to begin offering fruit & veggies for delivery along with their milk and other products. It sounds like a good option for anyone who's not up for the commitment of a regular CSA.

It's true. SMC sent an email to subscribers indicating they would go live in early March. They haven't sent any new correspondence, but I'm definitely going to try it out since my CSA won't start drops until June.

Mmmm. Veggies.

Judging from the preceding posts in this topic, no one is enthusiastic enough to proclaim their love, though you might review Post #3 above.

Consult online archives from The Washington Post since a regular contributer to the Food Section wrote a series that was published each Wednesday, documenting the meals she created from the produce she received from her CSA. She must identify the source.

This Sunday (please, there are always fewer shoppers in dreary, bleak weather; support the farmers who get up at 2 or 3 to load the truck and drive to town!) come to the farmers market at Dupont Circle (open 10 to 1 PM) and look for Emily or Michael of The Farm at Sunnyside. Their organic farm just started a CSA last year. I don't know if anyone at DR.com joined.

You also might wish to talk to Heinz Thomet, the scraggly bearded farmer of Next-Step Produce. Though he dispensed with his CSA some time ago, he was one of the most active in this region; he may have suggestions.

I know Spiral Path Farm has a CSA (they bring shares to the market in Silver Spring on Saturdays). There must be others at markets convenient to you at Sheridan School, Mount Pleasant, Arlington, etc. (see Zora and Hillvalley's guide).

Local Harvest would also be useful, though you won't get feedback from the resource.

I personally prefer to have control over what and how much I buy from whom. Therefore, shopping at markets appeals to me more.

Hey all,

Since I'm a college student, I won't be in DC for the summer, but I'll be back in the fall. I was considering joining a CSA, and Norman's is one of the few that offers the ability to pick which seasons you want to participate, rather than the single option of a full term that lasts 20 some-odd weeks and is mainly in the summer.

So, does anybody have experience with them, either through going to their market or through being a part of their CSA?

Here's a link to their site: http://www.normansfarmmarket.com/Normans_F...et/Welcome.html

Thanks

Hey all,

Still thinking about signing up for a CSA in the fall, and I think I'm going to go with Orchard Country Produce. Apparently they are a part of the Bethesda farmer's market, and from what I've seen on their site and elsewhere, they seem to be pretty reliable. I was wondering if anybody on here had experience with either their CSA program or simply with buying products from them in the past.

Anyone have stories to share?

- Gennaro

GennaroE: Have you read these comments?

Note: Localharvest.org does not provide a comprehensive list of CSA's in the region and quite a bit of its information is out of date, perhaps because it relies on farms to contact it.

Nonetheless, there are a number of CSA's listed, some w feedback from happy and disgruntled souls.

Hey Anna,

Thanks for pointing me to these threads. I've done a lot of looking through these boards and localharvest as well, hence my starting topics asking about specific CSA's. The problem I have is that I have some pretty specific needs as a college student:

1) I can only take part in the fall season, so any programs that go with one, long share through the entire summer are out.

2) I need a pickup location that is close to a metro stop.

Thus far, I've only found a few that fit the bill, and Orchard Country Produce appears to be the most convenient. Plus it has a few good responses on localharvest. I'm just curious to see if anybody on here has experience with them; apparently they have a stand at the Bethesda farmers market which opens up again in early May I believe.

Spiral Path has loosened its ties to the Tuscarora Organic Coop given the popularity of its CSA, contributing to TOC only when there is extreme excess of a particular item or two.

It's pretty generous w the bounty distributed at the farmers market in Silver Spring at this peak time of the season. Today I was there, so conducted an inventory for those still thinking about options in the year ahead:

1 huge cucumber

1 largish/medium zucchini

1 big yellow crookneck squash

2 eggplants, one skinny and long, the other, the purple kind we North American elders grew up eating

2 big red tomatoes (Beefsteak or Brandywine, I'm guessing)

3 big yellow-green tomatoes (they look like Nebraska Weddings, picked too early except for the fact that they are ripe)

4-5 Roma tomatoes

2 enormous green bell peppers (wish they were red, but maybe PA's peppers haven't caught up to WV, MD & VA)

3 red onions

1 bunch cilantro

2 heads lettuce: Boston & red something or other

Big round, dark-rind watermelon large enough to feed 4-6

I like the fact that you've basically got most of what you need to make both gazpacho and ratatouille should you wish. All come in a large, sturdy biodegradable bag.

So I wound up signing up for a small CSA share with Orchard Country Produce, and today was the first pick-up for the Fall season. I picked up my cooler of produce from the Bethesda Farmers Market this morning, and though the market is quite small, Orchard Country had lots of stuff up for grabs, from produce to baked goods and preserves, at some pretty decent prices. As for the contents of my cooler:

Baby Shallots - 4 oz

Green Beans - 1 Quart

Honey Crisp Apples - 2.5 lbs

Raspberries - 1 pint

Yellow Zucchini - 1 large

Tomatoes - 1.5 lbs

Sweet Corn - 7 ears

Took some pictures, and I may post those along with some info on how it all tastes once I start cooking the stuff up.

- Gennaro

I'm thinking about joining one of the market-based CSAs at the Bethesda Central Farmers Market. Bending Bridge Farm has one and so does Cats Paw Two Acre Farm. Both are organic and both let you choose the produce you get each week. Any advice on choosing one?

I'm thinking about joining one of the market-based CSAs at the Bethesda Central Farmers Market. Bending Bridge Farm has one and so does Cats Paw Two Acre Farm. Both are organic and both let you choose the produce you get each week. Any advice on choosing one?

We have been really happy with the variety and quality of the produce that we've purchased from Bending Bridge Farm at the Bethesda Central Farm Market this season. Granted, not all of it was grown by Bending Bridge, some of it they bought from Tuscarora Organic Growers Cooperative -- let's say that they shop well! I would be happy to participate in a CSA with Bending Bridge, especially if I had the option of choosing the produce -- that's rare for a CSA. Usually you just have to take potluck.

My wife and I are thinking about participating in a CSA for the first time. Any suggestions on a good farm that either home delivers to or has a pickup spot convenient to NW DC? We're also looking for a farm that does half-shares as the food would only be for the 2 of us. Thanks.

My wife and I are thinking about participating in a CSA for the first time. Any suggestions on a good farm that either home delivers to or has a pickup spot convenient to NW DC? We're also looking for a farm that does half-shares as the food would only be for the 2 of us. Thanks.

According to their registration page, Potomac Vegetable Farms delivers to a site in Bethesda, "and specific offices in DC". I recommend contacting them for further details on this.

They have three sizes of shares. My husband and I have been getting the regular share for the past two years, and that means that we rarely if ever have to purchase vegetables in the supermarket or at farmers markets in the summer. A mini-share would be good if you don't eat a lot of vegetables or tend to eat out a lot.

We have been extremely happy with PVF's produce and their service. Last year was a very abundant season for them. We learned to prepare and enjoy some vegetables that we never would have tried if they hadn't been in our weekly delivery. We're practically counting the days until registration opens for this year.

Does anyone know of any CSAs that have pickup points in/near Laurel, MD? Or Bethesda? I'm considering getting a half share (or splitting one with a neighbor) for a local CSA...Thanks for any help!

We're going to try our first CSA this year. Gorman Farms which is right in/near Laurel.

The Washington Post has put out their annual list of local CSAs that you may find helpful.

We're going to try our first CSA this year. Gorman Farms which is right in/near Laurel.

That's the one I switched to last year, from Sandy Spring. A little pricier, and SS is one of the most expensive, but worth it for the pure locality of it. Although I might just go to their market this year instead.

First time trying a CSA, decided to go with Potomac Vegetable Farms, which we know has good quality from shopping there for years. Was hoping I could get a closer pickup, there is one in my neighborhood (Fairfax) but that's sold out, although I am hoping that this can be juggled, otherwise, I am driving to Falls Church from Springfield once a week. Not ideal, but doable.