Hard Root Beer

I can't speak for Sprecher's, but on several recent occasions, I've had the good fortune of consuming a number of bottles of Not Your Father's Root Beer, a 10% ABV "spiced ale" from Small Town Brewery, of Wauconda, Illinois.

It's deceptive, this one.  Some bottles taste pretty much like a rich (nonalcoholic) root beer...and make for a pretty decent ice cream float.  Others seem to have a more pronounced alcohol bite.  Or, very possibly, I had been standing out in the sun too long.

Per their retail locator, this appears to be readily available in Virginia and Maryland, but not MoCo nor DC.

Not your Father's just recently hit the Charlottesville area, from the original producer. I picked some up at Wine Warehouse.

The news is that, through distribution with Pabst, this is going national. You should be able to find it in many locations soon.

It certainly is more of a spiced ale than a root beer. Not that I can't drink it, but I wouldn't confuse it with an A&W or a Sprecher's.

I can't speak for Sprecher's, but on several recent occasions, I've had the good fortune of consuming a number of bottles of Not Your Father's Root Beer, a 10% ABV "spiced ale" from Small Town Brewery, of Wauconda, Illinois.

It's deceptive, this one.  Some bottles taste pretty much like a rich (nonalcoholic) root beer...and make for a pretty decent ice cream float.  Others seem to have a more pronounced alcohol bite.  Or, very possibly, I had been standing out in the sun too long.

Per their retail locator, this appears to be readily available in Virginia and Maryland, but not MoCo nor DC.

I managed to pick up a 6 pack at Quench at the corner of New Hampshire Avenue & Randolph Rd this weekend. Tastes just like root beer to me.. I probably wouldn't have known there was alcohol in it had it just been handed to me.

I'm really interested to try one of these. Has anyone had the hard root beer from Coney Island Brewing Co? Watching FB feeds most people seem do prefer it over the Not Your Father's, but those who don't really don't.

If anyone has seen any brands in MD, I'd love to hear about it.

ETA: Hmm, according to their website's locator Not Your Father's is supposedly being sold at the crappy liquor store across the street from me and the slightly less crappy one up the street should have both that and Coney Island's. I am going to investigate tomorrow and will report back.

I can't speak for Sprecher's, but on several recent occasions, I've had the good fortune of consuming a number of bottles of Not Your Father's Root Beer, a 10% ABV "spiced ale" from Small Town Brewery, of Wauconda, Illinois.

I saw six-packs for sale at the wine store in Union Market this weekend.

So it turned out that Astor Liquors (in Laurel, MD) had the Coney Island as expected, but instead of the Not Your Father's I found Sprecher's, which according to their website didn't have retailers in MD. So far I've only tried the Coney Island. As stated above, tastes like root beer. Was delicious as a root beer float. I really can't complain about a root beer float with alcohol.

I found the Not Your Father's at Total Wine in Alexandria a while back.  Finally cracked one open...wow, I love this stuff.  I don't think I'd drink a lot at one time, but wow.  The alcohol isn't strong, but it's there, and it's definitely root beer, which I've always loved.  I'll have to look for the Sprecher's too.

I thought the Sprechers was disgusting. I couldn't drink it. I've also realized I'm just not into the hard sodas. I don't really drink soda much as it is and alcoholic drinks to me should be balanced between sweet, bitter, etc. Curious about the hard ginger beers, but if I want alcohol don't see why I wouldn't just make myself a dark and stormy.

I thought the Sprechers was disgusting. I couldn't drink it. I've also realized I'm just not into the hard sodas. I don't really drink soda much as it is and alcoholic drinks to me should be balanced between sweet, bitter, etc. Curious about the hard ginger beers, but if I want alcohol don't see why I wouldn't just make myself a dark and stormy.

There are several brands mentioned in this thread:

Sprecher's Root Beer (Soft)

Description: This truly old fashioned soda has the rich, creamy flavor that only comes from using pure Wisconsin honey direct from the combs. Extracts are prepared at the brewery in a hand-made, gas-fired brew kettle, by combining honey, pure vanilla and a host of aromatic botanicals. The dark, honeyed brew will build a delicious, frothy head when properly poured into a frosted mug.

Ingredients: Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Maltodextrin, Raw Wisconsin Honey, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Phosphoric Acid, Quillaia/Yucca Extract, Sodium Chloride, Caramel Color, and Vanilla.

Not Your Father's Root Beer (Hard)

05/05/15 - "Pabst Enters The Ranks Of Import- and Craft-Beer Companies" by Steve Holtz on cspnet.com

07/02/15 - "The Story Behind Not Your Father's Root Beer" on joesixpack.net

Coney Island Hard Root Beer

08/28/13 - "Sam Adams Maker Boston Beer Co. Acquires Coney Island: Signs Of Expansion?" by Kyle Clauss on bostinno.streetwise.co

My good friend went to school at University of Wisconsin in Madison, had a keg delivered, was supposed to be Spechers beer.  By the time they were ready to tap it, it was late and the store was closed.  They delivered a keg of the root beer instead.  Not a happy evening for them.

My good friend went to school at University of Wisconsin in Madison, had a keg delivered, was supposed to be Spechers beer. By the time they were ready to tap it, it was late and the store was closed. They delivered a keg of the root beer instead. Not a happy evening for them.

That would indeed be disappointing.

Don, I'm not getting the point of your reply to me. I've had all three, I commented about one of the other ones upthread. ???

That would indeed be disappointing.

Don, I'm not getting the point of your reply to me. I've had all three, I commented about one of the other ones upthread. ???

Choirgirl, it wasn't a reply to you; I just happened to quote your post. My post was merely informational; not trying to make a point other than that all three of these brands may be of questionable quality.

all three of these brands may be of questionable quality.

I first saw the Not Your Father's product last Fall in a grocery store (strike #1) and laughed out loud at the "Small Town Brewery" listed on the label.  Flavored malt beverage "alcopops" aren't created in a brewery, they are created in a lab with flavoring agents.  These are merely the next branch on a family tree that has Zima rootstock.