Kanella, Chef Konstantinos Pitsillides' Greek and Cypriot Cuisine Now in Queen Village

We plan to spend four nights in Philly in early May. What are some great places for pre-concert dinners near the Kimmel Center and the Academy of Music? We don't eat meat but we love fish.

I'll echo others in this thread who previously recommended Kanella. While I've only been there for the Sunday meze dinner (it was very meat-focused the night I was there), their regular menu offers vegetarian and seafood options that seem similar to some of the dishes I had during the incredible parade of meze. It's just a few blocks east of those concert venues.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

I'll echo others in this thread who previously recommended Kanella. While I've only been there for the Sunday meze dinner (it was very meat-focused the night I was there), their regular menu offers vegetarian and seafood options that seem similar to some of the dishes I had during the incredible parade of meze. It's just a few blocks east of those concert venues.

Kanella - a wonderful neighborhood place. Everything in our order was cooked and seasoned perfectly. Nice cozy space with interesting specials.

Back from a quick weekend in Philly.

- Brunch/Lunch - Kanella - This is one of our favorites and we keep coming back. I would kill for a restaurant like this in DC. Amazing, fresh, delicious Cretian, jewish-influenced food. I had a wonderful house made merguez with eggs and yogurt. Wonderfully flavored and spicy. My wife had shakshouka which was great. We also had a soup called trahana which I had never had before. It was truly outstanding, one of the better things I have eaten this year. The soup is basically wheat, veges and yogurt that is mixed, fermented and dried. It was then reconstituted with a bit of milk and other stuff. Great, delicious soup.

Stopped in for lunch on our way to NYC.  Didn’t see any parking spaces nearby so I illegally parked right in front of the restaurant on the opposite side of the street.  The thought is I’d be able to stop the tow truck before it hauls my car away.  Luckily I didn’t even get a ticket.

We ordered an eggplant salad that’s a special of the days, seftalia platter and lamb kofte platter.  Everything was beautifully presented but I still haven’t found a place that tastes as good as O Thanasis in Athens.