Suki Asia, Japanese-Korean Luncheonette at 18th Street and Rhode Island Avenue Downtown

I must confess that I'm more than a little excited to write DR's first review of a restaurant although "restaurant" might be overstating things given their lunch-crowd focus and their seating for about 19.

For lunch, I purchased take out from Suki Asia on Rhode Island Ave. NW although I should say that my office is on RI and this place is on the street behind what I consider RI ave but whatever.

Today was my second attempt. I went a few days ago and it was mobbed at 12:40. Today I went about 12:15 and there was a line, but
a lot shorter. By the time I left at about 12:30, there was a line out the door so this place obviously has a following.

It Asian Fusion carry out basically.  Pho, Sushi, Don, ect can all be ordered.  For DC, I think it's cheap too.  My lunch was 6.99 (daily special) +
3 for a roll.

For lunch I ordered spicy chicken don (rice bowl), which comes with miso soup, "salad", edamame, and rice with steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Don:  meat dry, sauce good but mildly spicy, rice fantastically wonderful, veggies not over cooked. Would not order again.

Miso:  mediocre. How hard is this to get right?

Salad:  iceberg with fabulous wasabi dressing. Put some more and different veggies in this and I'd be satisfied.

California Roll: I had to b/c we all know them and it was fine. Nothing to complain about or love.
Would order again.

I will be back. I would order a roll lunch and perhaps bibimbap, which might be their most
popular item. Also, I saw a guy eating Pho and it looked good though pale.
Since I love pho, I might as well try.

I see my favorite luncheonette has gotten exactly zero reviews. That's fine with me. The lines are long already.

Today I GOT FREE LUNCH!

I'm probably a weekly visitor to Suki Asia as are my office mates.  I almost always get spicy roll combo.  Always good, satisfying, warming in winter.  Today, I forgot my wallet. The proprietor, obviously recognizing me, told me to take it and come back next week!  Lunch on credit? amazing.

Right now I"m slurping up japchae and seaweed salad. I'm satisfied.

Give this little mom and pop shop a try. THey should get points for niceness.  Thanks for at least considering.