Olive Oil Class and More at Olio2go in Fairfax

Luanne

This Saturday, March 16th, Olio2go will be hosting an olive oil class with Chris DelBonis of Pelliccia Olive Oil, from Lazio, Italy. Chris will be with us to talk about the processes of growing and pressing the olives, with a look at the variety of olives in Pelliccia. Following the class, we will serve Pasta Fagiole, drizzled with Pelliccia. Noon-1:00 PM.

Additional events are listed on our Olio2go store page.

Take a look and join us for an olive-oil-and-wine tasting, pasta class, or charity events!

If you have questions, please contact us by phone at 703-876-4666 or by email.

• Like 1

Luanne- just wanted to say I love the store. Fantastic oils, and was really fired up that you were selling Dario's "profumo del chianti" salt from his butcher shop in Panzano. When I finally decide to take the plunge on a bottle of real aceto balsamico tradizionale, I'll be coming to you.

Kibbee, Interesting selection. We would say that the Columela is the best one there! Which is your favorite? (All of ours are Italian..)

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the Karousos from Greece is the best of all. There's only one place I know where you can get it -- Vinny's in the Whole Foods Plaza at Old Keen Mill and Rolling Rd in Springfield. It is simply awesome. (There is a family connection to the olive orchard in Greece, so there's no middle man and no importer.)

My everyday olive oil is Saifan from Lebanon. It's very versatile.

Give me a good loaf of bread, a good bottle of wine, and some Karousos and I'll be happy for quite a while....

I'm getting to my posting limit :D but wanted to let everyone know that Brennan Downey of Downey Wine Imports will be with us on Thursday evening to guide us in a tasting of wine and olive oil from Conte Guicciardiani and Castello di Poppiano in the Chianti area of Tuscany. We'll have Tuscan appetizers too!

5:00-7:00 in the Merrifield area of Fairfax

More info here.

No doubt many are aware that the 2014 olive harvest was a disaster with real implications for olive oil pricing, availability and quality in the near to medium term.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/03/olive-oil-price-rise-feared

That also likely means all the omnipresent issues around mislabeled and misrepresented oils of questionable provenance will likely just be even worse. And, in the past few years, many specialty shops have opened around the country claiming to sell "authentic" oils under private, and thus unverifiable, label.

With that in the back of my mind and in the area this week, I stopped in at Olio2Go in Fairfax. Mostly in need of replenishing a balsamic I've been favoring the past couple of years (Villa Manodori), it was great to catch up with Luanne. It's a small but lovely store nearly in walking distance (when warmer!) from the Mosaic District. More importantly, nothing is private labeled here. Olio2Go is a rare trusted source in an industry with too many counterfeit and otherwise corrupt vendors. All Italian. All authentic. Reasonable prices given the quality of what they offer.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the California oils sold by All Things Olive. Sadly, they're no longer at Union Market, but do give them a try.

I'm honestly not sure about this but should your (and now my) post in this exchange be moved to the generic olive oil thread since this topic is for a specific retailer (olio2go)? That said, your source does sound interesting for a domestic alternative.

General olive oil thread here:

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/5245-olive-oil/

DarkStar, Thank you for your kind comments. It has been a most unusual year. We often find that by June we are unable to make additional purchases, but this year, as you know, some producers had nothing of value to harvest. We are about to sell out of our first shipment of Davide Borselli's La Poderina Toscana Oro and Argento selections. Davide recently let us know that his Oro selection had been sold out and just this week, he let us know that he doesn't think his remaining stock of Argento is up to the standards of the earlier shipment that we received in December. Therefore he has no more oil to send to us. This is both remarkable and sad. So many times the Italian producers are mis-characterized. We find that our small producers exhibit the highest ethics, as demonstrated here. It is also terribly sad to think about the challenges these small producers have faced this year!

We have continued to purchase carefully, and we currently have 30+ new harvest 2014 selections from Italy. We are excited about a new arrival due in tomorrow: Tommaso Masciantonio's Trappeto di Caprifico DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Abruzzo. Stop by for a taste later this week!

• Like 2