Kumo Asian Bistro, Pan-Asian at Festival at Manchester Lakes in Springfield

I always pass this place....and will continue to....btw, it's behind the Springfield Healthplex, sort of across Beulah from the Manchester Lakes Plaza that houses the reasonably good Johnny's New York Pizza and the occasionally not-bad Lucky's....

I've also eaten lunch at Kumo Asian Bistro, across the street, w/ the same friend (who is NOT an adventurous diner)- she had a Chinese dish, I had Thai basil chicken (not terrible, not outstanding), & a couple of rolls (Tokyo & eel avocado, if I remember correctly). It's an attractive place, service was just fine, but there are so many alternatives in the Springfield area (Thai Gang Waan, Bangkok Noodle, Le Bledo, Delia's, Gamasot) & so many that I haven't tried yet (Sampan Cafe, Mediterranean Gourmet Market), I just want to keep trying new places...

I've also eaten lunch at Kumo Asian Bistro, across the street, w/ the same friend (who is NOT an adventurous diner)- she had a Chinese dish, I had Thai basil chicken (not terrible, not outstanding), & a couple of rolls (Tokyo & eel avocado, if I remember correctly). It's an attractive place, service was just fine, but there are so many alternatives in the Springfield area (Thai Gang Waan, Bangkok Noodle, Le Bledo, Delia's, Gamasot) & so many that I haven't tried yet (Sampan Cafe, Mediterranean Gourmet Market), I just want to keep trying new places...

Kumo Asian Bistro also has a sister restaurant, Kumo Sushi, in Herndon.

Reporting again from the fringes of Fairfax county, I had lunch here today w/ a friend- Thai basil chicken for me, sesame chicken for her, & we shared 2 rolls-eel avocado & shrimp tempura. This is a great lunch option, if you're in this area-close to the Franconia/Springfield metro & Ft. Belvoir. Good service, ample parking, bargain prices (under $30 for 2, we weren't drinking)-I brought home some leftovers, which were immediately scarfed up.

I think the Thai basil chicken was better than the last time, I asked for pretty spicy, & while it wasn't very spicy, it was delicious-not authentic veggies- bell peppers, onions, zucchini, but the sauce was good.

I'm not typically a fan of the pan-Asian concept, but in these times of social distancing, we find that a dependable option for sushi and sashimi in the Springfield area is Kumo. Delivery doesn't detract from the flavor and freshness profiles, and the quality of the sushi and sashimi is surprisingly nice.

We have tried Kumo a few times in the past year, and the chirashi sashimi is quite good. Throw in some sushi rolls and miso soup, plus some wings for later in the evening or tomorrow's lunch, and it's an overall dependable meal. I'm not saying it's a destination stop, but helping to keep a local business afloat while enjoying a pleasant meal is not a bad way to spend a Friday evening.

• Like 2