Grocery Store Revenues

Joe H

The average Cheesecake Factory is 8.8 mil according to their 10k. Whole foods market reports an average sales per store of $32 million. Given that I bet that the top grossing WFMs are around $100mil or three times average, the biggest CF must be around 24 million or pretty danged close to OEG.

Publicly traded companies have the right to report total sales and need not separate out sales except if they are multinational {because they ahve to report tax implication. So particular unit sales info is not generally available.

I was told by a Wegman's manager that the Wegman's in Fairfax is the highest grossing grocery store in America. Not just Wegman's but of ALL grocery stores. Somewhere, sometime I read a number of $130+ million for it.

I was told by a Wegman's manager that the Wegman's in Fairfax is the highest grossing grocery store in America. Not just Wegman's but of ALL grocery stores. Somewhere, sometime I read a number of $130+ million for it.

According to wiki, Stew Leonards is the number 1. I don't know if $300 milis their flagship location or if it is for all their stores. If the latter, no way is Stu Leonards #1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew_Leonard%27s#The_business

My guess is that some ot the NYC WFM's are at 110mil a year. I had always heard the first Wegmans in the DC area was at a similar volume and that was a long time ago.

I am guessing the $300-M is for all 4 stores, and the record was for sales volume per square foot in one of the stores. I had heard the Wegman's FFX only eclipsed the Wegman's Flagship in Rochester, NY because of beer and wine sales.

ETA- we are officially off topic

I heard that, as well. Makes sense when you look at county wealth across the country. And the fact that people (cough, cough) drive from other counties to go here.

The Fairfax Wegman's carries some things that other local Wegman's do not. Specifically their cheese department is the best of all of them. Wine, organic food, even ice cream (forget the brand name but it is $10 a pint)-there are a number of items that Fairfax carries that Dulles/Leesburg/Manassas/Fredericksburg/etc. do not. In the Fall I have found specialty soups (lump crab comes to mind) that I have not seen elsewhere either.

Having said this I believe Fairfax is 125,000 or so square feet. Fredericksburg is 140,000.

I also hate the parking garage at Fairfax, feel that the store is more "cramped" than others but, at the end of the day and living equidistant from Fairfax and Dulles (aka Sterling)...go to Fairfax.

I've been in the original Stew Leonard's and original Central Market in Austin along with Larry's in Seattle and half of the Whole Foods chain along with the 225,000 square foot Woodman's in Wisconsin (Have never seen a potato chip aisle so long.) and even larger Juingle Jim's in Middletown, OH northwest of Cincinnati. Even a similarly enormous Auchon outside of Paris near Disney (which competes with Wegmans). Of all of them the Fairfax Wegman's, parking lot aside, is my favorite.

Note: half or so of Fairfax is a "traditional" grocery store. The other half is what sets it apart. That half may not be as large nor complete as several others mentioned above. But the combination is unbeatable.

I am guessing the $300-M is for all 4 stores, and the record was for sales volume per square foot in one of the stores. I had heard the Wegman's FFX only eclipsed the Wegman's Flagship in Rochester, NY because of beer and wine sales.

ETA- we are officially off topic

This isn't that surprising though the Pittsford flagship Wegmans is superior to the Fairfax. The amount of care they take at the flagship store is unreal. Everything is perfect - every pile, every vegetable; I love that store. One of the few reasons to go to Rochester if you are nearby.

FWIW, according to the National Retail Federation Walmart is actually the largest grocery retailer in the US, followed by Kroger which is the largest "grocery only" retailer with 2010 US sales of $78 billion (avg $22 million/store) followed by Safeway, Ahold, Delhaize, Meijer and HEB. Whole Foods is $8.7 billion. Wegmans is way down the list with $5.6 billion in sales. That said, when you consider sales per store Whole Foods is at an average of $30 million/store but Wegmans is a whopping $74 million per store.