Wine Tasting Discussion. Who's In? What would you like to see?

lperry

I would like to learn more about wine, and there are some very successful forums out on the interwebs where there is a monthly selection that everyone buys, drinks, and then chimes in on the discussion about any number of things including tasting notes, food-friendliness, price vs. value, qualities compared to other wines from the same grape/region, etc. I think it would be fun to have different regions, e.g., states, countries,valleys, rivers, or even continents, and people could participate in one discussion each month, or they could join in on all of them. I have also managed to find a former Post wine columnist who is willing to select the wines for us to drink, thus insuring both availability and drinkability.

I personally would love to learn more about the wines of Italy and Spain, and I would like to have seasonal choices that work well with changing local foods and weather. Please share if you are interested in participating in a wine tasting forum, or if you are an expert who might like to host one, and tell us what you want to see.

Cheers!

Very interested in this and have participated in them before. An interesting variant which could do well in the DR community is to hold the tasting as a virtual/real event. IE Those at home could taste and upload note while some folks got together at a willing establishment to taste and post notes at same time.

What an entertaining idea! What about comparing several wines at a time?

I think that could work for some people, but might become financially unfeasible for others. As I mentioned in my first post, there's no reason why the group can't eventually split into several groups depending on changing interests. Maybe others would like to crack open three or four at a time?

OK, Mr. T.

Don? Can you recommend something to start us off?

Okay. Let me see what I can find available. I really think we should do a white to celebrate - Finally! - Spring. (Also, it's easier to find a good, inexpensive, white wine than it is a good, inexpensive, red wine? Why? No particularly good reason, but it is so.

Great idea. I'm in.

Being that this is a DMV-centric forum, perhaps a VA/MD wine could be selected at some point. :)

No doubt, and I've thought about that. But DMV-based distributors and importers are important, too. I'm pretty sure I know which category I'm going to start with, although it could have been any of 100 or more. Someone else can go next, but please consider using what I do as a model - I plan on treating everyone like they know nothing (which is not an insult; I want people to learn this, and remember it). My goal is for people to know a *lot* more about this when we're finished with the wine, but without even feeling like they've studied anything. My plan is for people to feel confident and comfortable when they run across this, or something similar, on a wine list.

If we do 50 of these things, you're pretty close to being an expert at navigating a wine list.

One thing everyone needs to understand about wine tastings: you have to give an *honest* opinion, even if it means insulting the host. If I recommend a wine and people hate it, you have a moral duty to say so (and why).

Would anyone like me to pick up a case and drop it off at a central location? That way, I'll shop around for the best deal in the area and we can all take advantage of the discount. I've thought about doing this with the VBT Club as well - putting together mixed six-packs for people.

Would anyone like me to pick up a case and drop it off at a central location? That way, I'll shop around for the best deal in the area and we can all take advantage of the discount. I've thought about doing this with the VBT Club as well - putting together mixed six-packs for people.

I rather just go to Total Wine. If the wine isn't expensive to start with, the time and gas will soon exceed the volume discount.

I'm always game for tasting more wine. I'm only drinking wine on the weekends these days though so my tasting/commenting will have to be reserved for that timeframe.

I'm pretty interested to see what people select for tasting - wines that are actually good, representative of varietal/place, under $20 and have wide distribution. Sounds challenging. :)

I think this is a really nice thought, but probably not practical for me living/working in MD. I'll be interested to see if I can find the wines that get selected.

Perhaps what I am going to suggest is not popular but I can't help but think of Black Ankle and how much we enjoyed it. And how much we enjoyed Delaplane Cellars.

And Glen Manor.

And Hillsborough.

Just a suggestion: but why not have an in person meeting at one of these or another wineries? We live in the middle of one of the most incredible places on earth. It just seems to me that we should take advantage of this. Whatever wine is picked, argue about it at the source.

I would start with Black Ankle....

I'm certain that a number of others would host a similar meeting.

Sorry to sound like a chauvinist for Virginia...for Maryland wine. But I passionately believe we are fortunate to live here and welcome being able to share.

Jen, pick a date and a time and, for a first step, a number of us should meet.

Joe H, I've been wanting to set up a DR tasting at BAV for some time actually and I love that you suggested BAV for a first meet up, but I think it would be ideal to wait until later in the spring when our new whites are released so there's a larger selection of wines for tasting (right now, we only have one white and 3 reds in our tasting). I could also include a tour although frankly I'm sure many of you know a lot more about wine and wine making than I do. I have another idea or two for making the tasting for you guys special, but I'd have to discuss things with the owners. To me, this almost seems like a separate event from what is being proposed here. Or a "special" event. I could see doing these periodically throughout the year at local wineries, while also doing the "online" tasting.

I for one am planning to consume some wine this weekend so if someone (I think Don said he would pick our first one) would let us know a (hopefully readily available in DC/MD/VA) selection soon, I could get down to business on Friday or Saturday. :)

• Like 1

An in person meet could work for some of us, I think, but for April, it would also be nice to have our selection chosen. (Gentle nudge.)

Okay, I'll pick one this morning, and will find out where it's available in MD, DC, and VA. I have an email in to the distributor.

Wapo 5 European wines to try at $15 and under. I have no idea how often this column comes out. We can always go down the list. What say you good people?

Ooooh. How did I miss this one? I'm in, except for the Chinon and Bulgariana cab. It looks like we can't get those in Virginia, and they look to be thick reds. At this point I'm not willing to do anything that might jinx the possibility of warm weather coming, so I'll stick to the whites. ;) I'm definitely up for what Don recommends, and for the VIrginia winery meet ups when it gets a bit warmer out.

I guess what we need now is a decision on how to discuss the wines. A separate thread for each one would be helpful for organization, maybe nested within a larger category? Could we open the chat room again if people are available to taste at the same time? Then someone could post the transcript in the thread so others who can't attend can learn what others thought. Any other ideas?

Start with the Domaine Lafage Cote Est 2011? What's considered a zesty seafood dish that would go well with this bottle?

I can get that at I.M. Wine, which makes me VERY happy (although I guarantee you it isn't $13 there :P) so I would be game for trying this one.

I know Don had something up his sleeve, but was waiting to hear from the distributor so maybe we can start with this one and do Don's next? How often would we be doing this? Weekly? Less frequently?

I know Don had something up his sleeve, but was waiting to hear from the distributor so maybe we can start with this one and do Don's next? How often would we be doing this? Weekly? Less frequently?

I had originally thought monthly, but if there is enough interest and participation to go weekly, I don't see why we can't, right? I can see this group easily breaking into regional or varietal subgroups, and then there will be those who are willing to try everything.

Ooooh. How did I miss this one? I'm in, except for the Chinon and Bulgariana cab. It looks like we can't get those in Virginia, and they look to be thick reds. At this point I'm not willing to do anything that might jinx the possibility of warm weather coming, so I'll stick to the whites. ;) I'm definitely up for what Don recommends, and for the VIrginia winery meet ups when it gets a bit warmer out.

I guess what we need now is a decision on how to discuss the wines. A separate thread for each one would be helpful for organization, maybe nested within a larger category? Could we open the chat room again if people are available to taste at the same time? Then someone could post the transcript in the thread so others who can't attend can learn what others thought. Any other ideas?

The two reds are not thick. I'm happy you're coming up with your own wines, and bless them.

post-2-0-60628000-1365148098_thumb.jpg

I was going to come up with a Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley from Neal Rosenthal, but you're on the right track for Spring with the 2011 Lafage Cote Est. Dave McIntyre is good at things like this.

What I was planning was not just picking the wines, but also writing a primer related to the wine at hand. Hopefully someone can take over that task for me. I'll be happy to play this game, and will chime in with the occasional info-nugget as well.

Cheers, and let's get rolling,

Rocks

• Like 1

I just went to wine searcher.com and found that Domaine Lafage Cote is available near me at Chain Bridge Cellars. Use it to see if some store near you carries it.

I tried it and only got stores for New Jersey, even when I input my zip code. I have all sorts of ad blockers installed, and sometimes that's the problem, but I'm curious. Do you have a paid account with them?

The two reds are not thick. I'm happy you're coming up with your own wines, and bless them.

attachicon.gifClergy.jpg

I was going to come up with a Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley from Neal Rosenthal, but you're on the right track for Spring with the 2011 Lafage Cote Est. Dave McIntyre is good at things like this.

What I was planning was not just picking the wines, but also writing a primer related to the wine at hand. Hopefully someone can take over that task for me. I'll be happy to play this game, and will chime in with the occasional info-nugget as well.

Cheers, and let's get rolling,

Rocks

I'd be happy if your SB choice were next. :)

What do you mean by primer out of curiosity?

Well, my goal was to have people navigate a wine list, not just learn about a single wine. But trust me, I don't have time!

There are times when I'd just like to be able to navigate the wine store! My thought was that, even if we do this one wine at a time, the knowledge will accumulate over time. It certainly can't hurt. :)

There are times when I'd just like to be able to navigate the wine store! My thought was that, even if we do this one wine at a time, the knowledge will accumulate over time. It certainly can't hurt. :)

For each wine, commit to memory:

1) Importer

2) Region (Appellation) + Sub-Region or Vineyard if any

3) Variety or Blend of Varieties

4) Producer

5) Vintage (in relation to the Region, i.e., "2009" means nothing unless you tie it into a specific location (*))

in that order. Learn as much as you can afford to learn about them, and things will begin to accumulate over time.

(*) E.G. 1964 was a great year for Bordeaux, but only in the Right Bank. If you ever get to the point where this no longer sounds snobby or ridiculously arcane, then you're just about there, and with a little diligence, you'll get there sooner than you think.

So are we doing the Domaine Lafage Cote Est 2011? The Wapo article lists some stores where it's available. Just checked at Rodman's DC and they do have it.

Yes! There is a thread started. I will probably get it at Unwined tomorrow.

I just picked it up at UnWined Belle View (they also have it at their King Street location, just off 395). Because I'm technologically inept at the moment, in lieu of a picture I'll mention that the words "cote EST Catalan" are the biggest you'll see on the green and white label. The cap is also green, and along the side of a plant runs the words "Grenache - Chardonnay - Marsanne."