Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, Elliot Spaisman and Jeff Halpern's Chicken and Doughnuts in Metro Center - Also Opening in Falls Church

This week starts the soft open of Astro Doughnuts... they are open from 8am to sold out, which apparently only took 90 minutes this morning. They reopened at noon with limited doughnuts and buttermilk fried chicken. I did not attempt to go get doughnuts today.

Astro Doughnuts

1308 G Street, NW Washington DC 20005

• Like 1

Aww crap. I am seeing a very non-paleo doughnut and fried chicken tasting in my future. :unsure:

well... at least it's a nice walk between metro center and dupont? ;-) Think of the service you will be doing the rest of us, throwing yourself on the doughnut and fried chicken grenades. Report back!

This week starts the soft open of Astro Doughnuts... they are open from 8am to sold out, which apparently only took 90 minutes this morning. They reopened at noon with limited doughnuts and buttermilk fried chicken. I did not attempt to go get doughnuts today.

It was a good thing you didn't line up! The storefront is very shallow, so after about five people fitting inside, the rest queued out the door. It made for a very amusing walk to work, considering this place is downstairs from my current project.

Coworkers who managed to snag fried chicken said it was good, but no other comment. This will be quite interesting to observe....

Well, my lunch date (who can out themselves if they so choose ;-) and I redirected our lunch plans to the afternoon reopening of Astro today. They only had five doughnuts flavours in the afternoon: Brooklyn Blackout, PB + Choc Chip, Creme Brulee, Espresso, and Twink Nut. I got a dozen doughnuts and hauled them back to the office. (IT staff run on sugar and caffeine, right? Right. Done and done.) We also split a box of chicken.

The chicken batter was nice and crispy, but they are only frying the buttermilk one right now, and I found it a bit bland when my tastebuds know that there is Sriracha chicken on the menu but not available.

On the doughnut front, I'd say the Doughnut Plant is still my gold standard. The doughnuts are quite tasty, though, and it *is* only the second day. The espresso is very intense and chewy. The Twink nut is fairly light, considering. The PB + Choc chip is tasty. The creme brulee was somehow slightly disappointing. The blackout is very dense and chocolatey.

I was sad to not have a chance to try the cinnamon or the maple bacon; will have to swing by in a couple of weeks.

Have you tried it turbogrrl?

Well, if you had read... anything else in the thread, then you would have known whether I tried it or not. I can understand wanting to get some exposure for your website but leaving comments that are just this side of spam is not the best way to do it. Please stop.

That said, Astro doughnuts is about as southern as hockey. YMMV.

Anyway, back on topic: based on a tweet, I swung by the shop to try an unlisted doughnut called the fireball, and try a few more of the standards. Walked away with a sampling of the fireball, vanilla, chocolate, and s'mores. I really liked the fireball- a yeast doughnut with cinnamon sugar and a healthy sprinkling of I think cayenne pepper on top. The s'mores was a deep chocolate cake doughnut with marshmallow on top. The vanilla was fine, but the chocolate glaze on the yeast doughnut was insanely sweet. it makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Have you tried it turbogrrl? It sounds very intersting, reminds me of waffles and fried chicken. I'm wondering if this is a good restaurant to add to my website, which features southern restaurants in DC.

Ashley, it's fine to put a link to your website in your signature file (you'll get plenty of hits that way - really!), but I beseech you to do it with original content in your posts. We're a welcoming bunch ... promise! :)

Hell, I'll update your sig file for you.

Also, please start a thread for southernrestaurantsdc.com in our Blog Central forum, where you can keep us informed, up to twice a month, about what's going on.

Hell, I'll start the thread for you.

• Like 1

I have two words for you: maple bacon. Wow! I had a coupon for a free donut so I stopped by. So glad I did. I think this may become a regular Friday treat. It was worth every calorie and gram of fat (I say this having no idea how much of either it has and I have no desire to know).

The donut was light and airy. It was perfectly glazed and the right amount of sweet. The bacon was a little "chunky" for me but I'm not complaining. I took a picture which I'd be happy to post if I knew how.

Our office moved last month to right around the corner from Astro, so I finally broke down and tried it this morning.

1. The coffee is meh.

2. Crème Brulee donut: Have to say, this thing was really good. Kept me full for three hours.

3. Passionberry donut: Have not tried it yet, still in the bag. (see 2).

4. Donut prices are absurd: $2.85 for the CB, $2.50 for the Passionberry. Total for coffee and two donuts: $8.64!

Donut prices may be absurd but they are delicious.  Stopped in on our way to the auto train a few weeks back and the two we tried (vanilla for BL-3rd grader (!!!!) and black and white for me) were excellent. 

I work right around the corner and it is really hard to walk past this place every day!