Mother's Day Breakfast or Brunch in Manhattan

bookluvingbabe

We have a family committment in the area next weekend. Mr. BLB offered to come back through Manhattan. We could have breakfast/brunch and maybe finally check out the High Line. Except that it is Mother's Day. Isn't every dining establishment going to be a zoo? (We don't dine out typically on any of these type of days.). Ideas? Thanks!

On those rare occasions where we've ventured forth on Mother's Day, we have had luck (here in DC) with the obscure and ethnic. Of course, that demands lining up a mom who thinks bi bim bap is a great Mother's Day dish -- something of a generational concern, probably. You might also aim for an early dinner -- after brunch/lunch but before the normal dinner hour.

You could get a picnic lunch from the Chelsea Market or Eataly and go explore the highline? I know they don't allow dogs, but I assume they allow picnics? Although it would probably be pretty popular. Of course Locande Verde is exceptional and normally a good value. I had Mother's Day dinner at Fluer de Lys one year and it was really good, don't know if they do brunch, don't think it was overpriced at all, but not near the Highline. There is a place in soho called Salume that makes great Italian sandwiches, don't know if it would be packed, but would be casual, you could grab that and head to the Hudson River Greenway or eat in?

We gave up on the High Line after 36 hours of smiling, visiting, etc. Locande Verde and Gramercy were booked when we called/open tabled so we stuck with the David Burke Kitchen reservation I had made.

But I'll definitely keep those in mind for the next trip.

1) We found parking in front of the hotel. A legal and free parking space. I'm not sure I've experienced that before in Manhattan unless I was dining on 10th Avenue.

2) After being seated, they brought over a container of grapes which kept the 6 year old occupied while we decided what to order.

3) The roast suckling pig was tender but seasoned a bit dully. I also had problems cutting it but that was because Mr. BLB had taken away all the sharp knives when we were seated and I was using a butter knife. He liked his eggs benedict. The little guy did not like his burger and I'm not surprised--it was hockey puck-ish even though I had asked that it be cooked to medium. (It also had cheese on it even though it was advertised as a burger rather than a cheeseburger. Had it been me at age six, the tantrum and sadness would have lasted the whole day. He's fortunately more flexible than I was at that age. He's complaint was merely about the quality...) The service was friendly and the water was topped off endlessly. Lots of kids with their moms. It was lovely and a perfect break before driving home.

• Like 1