Uncle Fred's BBQ Smoke Shack, South Riding Farmers' Market, Centreville Farmers' Market, and Several Others

For those who like to sample some swine with their healthier farmers market purchases, the South Riding Farmers Market, which is actually now the Wellness Connection Farmers Market at the new Gum Spring Library in Stone Ridge, Saturdays 9-1, has a barbecue guy who does ribs, pulled pork, sausages, and hot dogs. It's Uncle Fred's BBQ Smoke Shack: here's their Facebook page which has their number and locations.

• Like 1

Uncle Fred does the Farmer's Market scene. In fact i think he does two markets at once with his kids or partners doing the others. I've hit him a few times when he came to Centreville. I never liked any of his sides (just my opinion). I've had some very good chicken's from Fred. Periodically he smokes baby back ribs. The first two or three times I had them they were amongst the best I had ever had. The last time I got them they were absolutely horrible.

Really it highlights the problem with BBQ in general. Inconsistency. Tyler Cowen's latest book dedicates a chapter to BBQ. Its an interesting read.

Route 50 in Loudoun is really becoming a barbecue hotbed. In addition to Uncle Fred's, there's Jimbo's across 50 from Lopo's Crab Shack, the Pit Stop at Gilberts Corners, at least two places in Aldie, and I think I am leaving someone out.