Kogiya, Owner Sylvia Cho's Korean BBQ on Annandale Road and Maple Place in Koreatown, Annandale

This restaurant is new, & getting pretty good reviews-would anyone be interested in meeting for lunch or dinner there sometime in the next few weeks? I don't eat a lot of Korean BBQ, but they're running an AYCE special w/ fatty brisket (chadol bakgi), 3 layered pork belly (sam kyup sal), spicy pork belly (jang sam gyup sal), miso pork, & spicy chicken (dak galbi), & 'the works'-steamed egg, soup, sides, & rice, noodles, or rice cakes for $18.99 (Or $27.99 w/ that, plus intestines). I'd also like to try some of the soups, cold noodles, & haemul jun.

---

dr.com Dinner at Kogiya, Thursday, May 16th at 5:30 PM here

• Like 1

Best advice for this place-come hungry! Cheezepowder joined me, my son Tom, & his friend at Kogiya last night for the AYCE BBQ, option A (5 meats, minus intestines). Since we arrived early, parking was fine, we were seated right away, but by the time we left at 7, the place was full. They get you started right away, bringing out 9-10 dishes of panchan & dipping sauces, firing up the grill, & pulling down the vent fan. They asked if we wanted to start w/ the brisket, & we nodded.

Service was good throughout the meal, w/ a team of young servers taking turns refilling our drinks & flipping & cutting our meats. My favorite was the brisket, followed by the miso pork belly, but they were all good. The plain pork belly was probably the least special. They threw a few veggies on at the beginning w/ the brisket-onion, mushroom, some squash, but after that it was straight up meat. There was a basket of lettuce leaves for wrapping, zucchini, carrots, & they also brought doenjang jigae & the steamed egg (I think I ate most of it). I would definitely eat here again, (after starving myself for a few days), I sort of had 'meat fatigue' at the end.

Tom was speculating on the AYCE damage he & a couple of his buddies could do on just the brisket (his favorite). It would be interesting to try some other dishes, like the soups at lunchtime, but while they're running this special, it's obviously the first choice for the variety. Now, if I just had the appetite of a teenager again...

Great description! My favorites were the miso pork belly and the spicy pork belly (the unmarinated pork belly was a bit tough and my least favorite). I definitely had all I could eat, and it was too bad we didn't have enough stomach room to order a second round of any meats. They brought the meats in "courses" - first was the thinly sliced brisket (unmarinated), then once we finished that, they brought the thick slices of pork belly (unmarinated), then the miso pork belly and the spicy pork belly, and then the spicy chicken with rice cakes. So by the time we got to the chicken, we were stuffed. I'm glad I was able to try Kogiya. Thanks thistle for suggesting dinner here!

I think I could have enjoyed more of the chicken, if it hadn't come at the end, & of course, I was busy filling up on all the panchan- spinach, sprouts, radish, cabbage. I think Tom really wanted to ask for more brisket, but after they brought out the rounded bowl for the spicy chicken at the end, he didn't want to interrupt the flow (& he was pretty full).

This thread should get more attention. You don't have to order the AYCE option, as their a la carte and combo options are pretty good too.

Bibimbap's family and mine had a good time tasting just the Pork combo, a la carte Mild Chicken, Seafood pancake (best one in Annandale right now!), and some Mandu for the li'l cowboys.

If anyone else is game for another $20 night here, please let me know. Cause no one should do Korean BBQ solo.

We had the pork combo and could barely finish it for 2.  3 people with normal appetites could easily have been satisfied.  It was quite good.  The banchan were all very good or better, especially  the wasabi marinated and pink turnips/daikon {not sure which}.  The steamed egg was a little scorced on the bottom whhich was unfortunate as it might have been the best version of it we ahve ad otherwise.  The bean past stew disappeared across the table from me without my taking more than a spoonful.  My life {or at least my limb} might have been in danger if I encroached on Kay's favorite.

I think I still prefer Anangol on the meats {which are mostly cooked on a large grill at the back of the dining room and brought to your table to continue crisping on a glass plate} and the veggie basket, the banchan at Kogiya are probably on balance better and more varied.  But Annangol is more expensive and a little less "vibe-y," Anangol more traditional.  But I do think that Kogiya has really good sauces {they serve 4} while Anangol only has the traditional bean paste and oil and salt.  But both places use much higher quality meats than Honey Pig, Od Gab Jib or Yechon.

I can see splitting our BBQ meats dining between the two.  It really is much of a toss up when all factors are added up.

I've really enjoyed Kogiya both times I've been, specifically the miso pork belly, spicy pork belly, and spicy chicken on the AYCE option.

Definitely recommend ordering the bibimbap as a side dish to share. Not necessary given all the banchan that they provide with the bbq, but the bibimbap is excellent.

You can expect long waits on weekend nights. But they seem willing to take your name down if you call ahead.

Is this all you ordered? How much did you get, and what was it?!

Small intestines (a little too funky and earthy for me to eat much by myself, this is the one looking like a link sausage, in Italy, I think this is called Lampradotto}, large intestines and beef abomasum {the large white tripe in the foreground.}  That came after brisket, three kinds of pork belly and plates and plates of banchan, the best of which was a stewed cabbage of some sort.  Two flavored soju {some sort of red vinegar and one mango}  Still thinking I ate too much.  I could have stopped about half way thru!

• Like 1

Small intestines (a little too funky and earthy for me to eat much by myself, this is the one looking like a link sausage, in Italy, I think this is called Lampradotto}, large intestines and beef abomasum {the large white tripe in the foreground.}  That came after brisket, three kinds of pork belly and plates and plates of banchan, the best of which was a stewed cabbage of some sort.  Two flavored soju {some sort of red vinegar and one mango}  Still thinking I ate too much.  I could have stopped about half way thru!

Nothing like a well-balanced meal.  :lol:

I think this is the first time, and please correct me, if I am wrong, that a thread is left out of the Dining Guide? Might be my tired eyes, though...

[Definitely not the first time, and also won't be the last, *but* I did miss this one. Thank you! I'm actually making a methodical sweep which will ensure that everything is included, but it's going to take some time to complete (over 3,000 restaurants just in the DC area)]

Saw my son last weekend for lunch w/ an out of town cousin, & he mentioned going to Kogiya. My cousin (from FL) said they hadn't tried a lot of Korean food, & since they're coming up again in a few months (their son, close to mine in age, just moved up here), I suggested that as dinner next time. It's not something I could eat often (not being a college aged, growing boy), but the whole experience (even going home smelling like K-BBQ) is great w/ a group & a real treat. I've only had bbq at Honey Pig & Kogiya, but both were delicious, & I love barley tea.

Hubby and I had lunch here the other weekend.  He got bimbibap- which he thought was bland and the bowl wasn't hot enough so you didn't get good crunchy bits of rice.  We also got miso pork belly and beef (I forget which one, but it wasn't spicy as I wasn't in the mood for that) to grill.  I really enjoyed the banchan here.  I thought the big thin slices of daikon were delicious, I liked the kimchee, the spicy shredded daikon, the broccoli and their coddled egg was so light, it was really tasty.  They also brought out a tofu dish in broth that was really good, although I was too full to eat much of it.  Both meats were very tasty.  

• Like 2

Was there with a large-ish group last night.  We all did AYCE option A--thought the miso pork belly and spicy chicken were highlights. Panchan also above average--egg custard was much more savory and rich than most places, stew was pleasantly spicy and the pickled chayote was a unique offering.  Meats, though quite fatty, were not as "fatiguing" as one would expect, even on round two or three, and there was none of that mustiness you get when pork is less than fresh. Similar atmosphere to Honey Pig, more dressed up than Nakwon or Il Mee, but I think the food is better than any of those.  I still prefer the more seafood-focused To Sok Jip, but I think this is could be anyone's go-to for bbq. 

• Like 1

A group of 10 of us met for dinner at Kogiya recently. Very busy, but they usually can accommodate large groups if you call ahead. Agree with all the previous poster's comments: panchan were great, especially the egg and stew; meats were all good, especially miso pork and spicy chicken. We also really liked the brisket. A fun experience, particularly with a big group of people, and very good food. 

• Like 1