Jack's Place, Queen and N. Lee Street in Old Town - Jack Davis' Breakfast and Lunch Diner

I've seen a couple of mentions of Jack's Place (222 N Lee St, Alexandria in Old Town) on here, but I think it deserves it's own thread. If I'm wrong, feel free to fold it back in with one of the others. I highly recommend Jack's Place for breakfast. This local-centric diner serves some really great fare. The owner is a salt-of-the-earth sort of guy who is particularly fond of the Bronco's during the Elway heyday. I've read that outsiders can get a bit of grief from Jack and his crew, but I didn't find that to be the case during my visit. When I first arrived and sat down at the counter, a woman came in shortly afterwards and gave me a slightly uncomfortable (though not unfriendly) look. "Oh, is this your seat," she sheepishly admitted that it was, so I happily relinquished it. That's how local this spot is.

Grab a paper menu from the counter when you arrive if you aren't familiar with the offerings. I ordered a "breakfast usual" sandwich, which had bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese and egg (i went for over-medium). I got it on Italian bread. It may have been the best breakfast sandwich I've ever eaten, and at $6, it was a bargain. I was pretty hungry, so that could have factored into my memory, though. Anyway, give Jack's a shot sometime.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Jack's, and the "Breakfast Usual" is my go-to, but I have also enjoyed the corned beef hash which I posted about here, some years back. Not sure if the closed on Sunday comment is still true - that seems to vary depending on the season (as in football, or not).

What a great little place! Came across it randomly while shopping, if we lived closer I'd be at the counter many a morning. Went on a Saturday and Jack was on the grill, the original restaurant owner's granddaughter working the register, and that's it. Had a tasty roast beef sandwich and a damn fine cup of coffee. Nice and old, decorated like a shrine to 1989. Absolutely love that they do zilch to try to cater to the old town demographic, and are small enough to survive doing what the hell they want for their regulars and whoever else wants to play by their rules.

Putting "jacks" into this post so apostrophobes can find it in the search.

• Like 1