Springfield Restaurant & Pizza - Old School Greek-Owned Italian in Tower Shopping Center on Brandon Road - Closed

In that ubiquitous category of consistently mediocre suburban restuarants that offer Greek and Italian fare, and lots of it, but not all that good, but definitely the place to take your kids, or maybe your grandmother, there is the Springfield Restaurant. And there I was for lunch today after a haircut at the hallowed institution of Bob's Barbershop. (Note to all men in northern Virginia -- if you get your hair cut at any place other than Bob's, you're missing the best of the soon-to-be-extinct regular American barbershops.)

Springfield Restaurant is similar to Delia's in its offerings, with the exception of an incredible weekday buffet. For $7.50, you get as much of ~30 items as you can (literally) stomach. There are at least five different kinds of pizzas, constantly replenished. There are plenty of hot dishes, like the stuffed bell peppers I gorged on today. There are all the fixings of a Greek salad, with plenty of olives and stuffed grape leaves and feta and chick peas along with all the salad stuff. Plus a really good macaroni salad.

The menu is vast, and I might have eaten about half of it over the years. Perfectly fine for kids and grandmas, and hits the spot on those days when quantity matters....

Did I mention $7.50?

http://www.springfieldpizzava.com/

And there I was for lunch today after a haircut at the hallowed institution of Bob's Barbershop. (Note to all men in northern Virginia -- if you get your hair cut at any place other than Bob's, you're missing the best of the soon-to-be-extinct regular American barbershops.)

You mean like ... these?

• Like 1

So you are saying that I am missing out on having an old dude cut my hair as opposed to the really hot Brazilian woman that does it now?

Now that we are decidedly off-topic, I was merely pointing out that the traditional American male bastion of the barber shop with English speaking old farts who hunt and fish and now everything going on within a 20-mile radius is vanishing, and Bob's is one of the few and best remaining. They even know how to trim a beard properly, and not just slap on a clipper attachment and mow it.

That said, when Bob's barber pole stops spinning, I will be elbowing my way past you for the Brazilian bombshell....

Where were we....? Oh yeah, Springfield Restaurant and Pizzeria, right....it's place in the dining guide should be sort of in the middle of Springfield, somewhere around Bozzelli's....

Springfield Restaurant and Pizzeria is closed after some 30 years....sad in a way, not because the culinary scene has lost a jewel of fine dining, but because this quintessential mom-n-pop establishment was where families went to eat plenty of decent food at a good price. The weekend brunch buffet was popular, as were the specials....oh well....

• Like 1