Maruko, Chef Taku Yamamoto's Japanese in Arlington's old Matuba Space on Columbia Pike and S. Walter Reed Drive - Closed

Has anyone eaten at Maruko? I'd love to hear feedback.

My wife and I continue to go to Maruko regularly. When we can, we make a point of taking advantage of the weekday 'Bento Box' lunch specials, which have improved signifigantly under the new owner. I think this may be one of the best dining bargans in Arlington - a full bento lunch with Tea, Miso soup and a salad bar for under $8.00. The items served in the Bento lunch change weekly, and they always include items that are not on the regular lunch and dinner menus.

TSchaad

My wife and I continue to go to Maruko regularly. When we can, we make a point of taking advantage of the weekday 'Bento Box' lunch specials, which have improved signifigantly under the new owner. I think this may be one of the best dining bargans in Arlington - a full bento lunch with Tea, Miso soup and a salad bar for under $8.00. The items served in the Bento lunch change weekly, and they always include items that are not on the regular lunch and dinner menus.

TSchaad

Thank you! Will have to go soon.

Has anyone eaten at Maruko? I'd love to hear feedback.

The website makes it sound like the transition kept most (all?) of the same Arlington Matuba staff. I'm not sure if chef Yamamoto was also the chef at Matuba, and bought off the franchise, or what. Anyone?

(If you can't tell, I awoke, and am doing the drudgery needed to keep this website operating smoothly, hoping to get sleepy). :)

On 2/19/2016 at 0:24 PM, catharine said:

While driving down Columbia Pike today I noticed that Maruko is no more. The place is shuttered and the signs are gone. Sad to see this place go but I had not been there in quite a while.

Your post just might have been the inspiration for this:

Feb 23, 2016 - "New Ramen Restaurant Coming to Columbia Pike" on arlnow.com