Now I'm waxing nostalgic. I had a theory that there was a "junk food" cheesesteak and a "real food" cheesesteak. The ultimate "real food" pizza steak for me came from Beato's at 25th & Parrish where they lovingly assembled the meat, tomato sauce, grilled onions, and provolone cheese, and then melted it open-face in their pizza oven. Alas, they are now closed . . .

The mistake, IMO, that most places make with the pizza steak is to put the sauce and cheese on top of the already assembled sandwich. All this does is increase the odds that you will squirt sauce all over your shirt.

The proper way is to chop the steak and onions together, and then, at the last second, mix the sauce and cheese into the mixture on the grill. Then scoop the whole mess into the bun, and off you go. I'm not saying it's not still a gooey mess, but the sauce and cheese mixed in makes it less likely you WEAR the mess.

The proper way is to chop the steak and onions together, and then, at the last second, mix the sauce and cheese into the mixture on the grill. Then scoop the whole mess into the bun, and off you go. I'm not saying it's not still a gooey mess, but the sauce and cheese mixed in makes it less likely you WEAR the mess.

Well, I held off the craving for over a week, but today I strolled down to Ted's (at the corner) to pick up a pizza steak with grilled onions. It was actually a hybrid version -- they chopped the meat on the grill then mixed in the grilled onions and tomato sauce before popping it in the oven for the provolone cheese to melt.

I was able to devour the gooey mess in the comfort of my own home with a towel on my lap while still warm. Yummmm.

This morning while driving past the now defunct Kenny's Pit BBQ on Duke St. in Alexandria , I saw a sign for Philly Cheesesteak Factory. Soon to open....not sure when.

Has anyone been to one of these and are they any good?

Lunch today: South Street Steaks. If you're still trying to figure out its location, it's on the east side of Route 1 at the intersection with Hartwick Rd., in other words, on the far end of the block containing the place-formerly-known-as-the-'Vous and RJ Bentley's.

One wiz, wit. Quite satisfying, but my only references for comparison are the other DC-area chains. Good roll, hard to screw up the Whiz, and a decent pile of grilled shaved steak. The beef was juicy, devoid of fatty gristle, not overly chopped, nor grilled to a dry cardboard state.

As of today, no more waffle fries. The sign says their distributor stopped carrying the brand that they liked, so it's off the menu for now, replaced with conventional fries.

See, that was my recollection growing up in Philly. I ate pizza steaks, not whiz, and the "place around the corner" was where the locals went. I definitely spent a lot of time eating steaks and hoagies from Lee's. Back when there were only a couple of Lee's...

News Flash: According to Philadelphia Magazine (Sept, 2006) 18% of Philadelphians eat a cheesesteak once a week. Yo, Philly! tongue.gif

Now that's why you do the "South Philly Stoop" whilst chowing down on said cheesesteak. Basically you grasp you sandwich with two hands, bend forward at the waist, bend your knees and stick your arse out as far as you can.

Bite and drip without worry tongue.gif

Now I'm going to throw it down and agree with Dean. The roast pork Italian is a worthy rival of the cheesesteak. Mmmmmm.

Mandatory stop at DiNic's at RTM.

On my last visit to Philly I had the roast pork with sharp provolone and greens at DiNic's. Without equivocation I can say it was the best sandwich I've had in the last 5 years. Cheesteak with the Wiz? (stifling gag reflex)

On my last visit to Philly I had the roast pork with sharp provolone and greens at DiNic's. Without equivocation I can say it was the best sandwich I've had in the last 5 years. Cheesteak with the Wiz? (stifling gag reflex)

Truth be told (and I'm all about the truth), the article in Philadelphia Magazine was about roast pork sandwiches. And, yes, DiNic's at the Reading Terminal Market was #1.

The statistic about cheesesteak consumption was a just sidebar, but one I thought worth noting.

PS If you read up thread, you'll see that cheese from a can is not what discriminating diners consume on our cheesesteaks. wink.gif

News Flash: According to Philadelphia Magazine (Sept, 2006) 18% of Philadelphians eat a cheesesteak once a week. Yo, Philly! :)

Not surprising at all...Philly was named fattest city in the nation a few years back. The mayor started a 76 tons weight loss campaign in response!

It's always been my Philly experience that you can get some of the best cheesesteaks (or chicken steaks, as I prefer) at the neighborhood places. Lee's does a good job, as does Abner's in West Philly.

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory doesn't hold a candle...

Having discovered the jpy that is Tony Lukes, underneath the maze of concrete of I95 and other assorted roads in South Philly, I have not had a cheese steak since. What I have had is wonderful peppered roast pork, sliced paper thin and piled on a chewy roll, to which rabe, boiled till all the flavor is in the broth and the color is as gray as Rock's face after derinking enough to say he is selling his wine cellar, is added. The top bread is then dunked into the raab broth, and then sharp provolone is added. This is truly heaven and does not require the ingestion of orange paste or canned mushrooms. There is also a line out the door at all times of the day and night!

As I was reading through this thread I was wondering if Tony Luke's would come up. When I first met my wife I told her repeatedly about TL's "pork italian"; she didn't believe a sandwich could live up the hype until we went to Philly together and she finally had one.

I'm ready to get in my car and go to Philly NOW!!

As I was reading through this thread I was wondering if Tony Luke's would come up. When I first met my wife I told her repeatedly about TL's "pork italian"; she didn't believe a sandwich could live up the hype until we went to Philly together and she finally had one.

I'm ready to get in my car and go to Philly NOW!!

Explaining Tony Luke's is like explaining real Italian Gelato (from Davide's in Sorrento for example) to someone in line at Baskin-Robins or sex to a virgin. All the words int he world will not be able to convey the simple pleasure of the real thing.

And.... after trying the actuality, the substitutes just seem to pale in comparison though they used to be good enough to actually fool you into thinking thay we almost equivalent!

That was one helluva sandwich, and I'm kicking myself tonight for not having detoured from the NJTP to I76/I95 any of the dozens of times I've made the trip in the past.

Dean's description is spot-on, down to the lifeless grey-green of the rabe, and miracle that is the rabe juice soaked into the top crust. Could this sandwich be made more perfect? Maybe, if they snuck in some of the fatty bits of pork that Roberto Donna used in his pork sandwiches at Galileo Grill. But no, on the whole, Tony Luke's workingman's take on the pork sandwich wins by a TKO. The bread is perfect for this type of sandwich - at once crusty, springy, squashable, absorbent, and tasty. I can't imagine not opting for the spicy provolone. And to top it all off, the waitress will offer to bring you a small container of their house-cured long peppers in oil, and you should accept without hesitation. Heck, even the waitresses were sorta endearing, although "babe" doesn't have quite the same ring as the Baltimorean "hon".

As for Pat's steaks, which I hit a week ago, it wasn't quite the revelation that I'd imagined...South Street's local interpretation isn't far off the mark. I still loved it though, and after a 3 hr road trip ($#@! Delaware roadwork) Gubeen and I hoovered ours down. The fact that Pat's constitutes a small island fortress between the three streets merely adds to its charm, as does the fast-moving window service. We need a place like this (or the Burger Shack in Manhattan) around here.

Something about both of these places has me wondering. Is Philly the secret paradise of battered fries? Because the cheese fries I had at Pat's and Tony Luke's were both excellent - lightly battered and crispy on the outside, yet fully fried through the potato. I don't know if it's a local thing or if they come from Sysco, but a whole lotta places around DC with fancy fries would do well to give up trying and copy whatever they do in south Philly. The fact that a "small" portion size is enough to feed a family of four for a week on some continents (or one hungry Eagles fan for five minutes) is merely icing on the cake.

During my weekend in Philly, I managed to sneak in both a trip to Lee's Hoagies, AND a trip to Tony Luke's. At Lee's I split an Italian Hoagie and a Pizza Steak 'wit, and at Tony Luke's I split a Roast Pork Italian (w/broccoli rabe and sharp provolone), and a Pizza Steak 'wit.

And a soft pretzel from the guy in front of the Art Museum, while thousands of Marathoners ran by. Perfect!

That should hold me off until the next trip to Philly...

Pizza steak? Fun sandwich; don't know if it helps us evaluate overall cheesesteak proficiency smile.gif .

I think we've been around this block before...

I grew up in Philly, and that's pretty much all we ate in my family. Whiz is fine, but not preferred. And if you're gonna switch the cheese, why not provolone over American. And as long as you're going to switch the cheese, throw some "red gravy" on there as well...

Guess I'm going to have to re-try Jim's...the bread was great, but they chopped the steak to the point that it lost nearly all recognizable texture and was less juicy than Pat's.

Anybody have an opinion on a relatively new joint Steaks on South, about two blocks east of Jim's? They seem to have successfully run away with (or stuffed the ballot box on) NBC10's Best Cheesesteak survey.

Guess I'm going to have to re-try Jim's...the bread was great, but they chopped the steak to the point that it lost nearly all recognizable texture and was less juicy than Pat's.

Anybody have an opinion on a relatively new joint Steaks on South, about two blocks east of Jim's? They seem to have successfully run away with (or stuffed the ballot box on) NBC10's Best Cheesesteak survey.

I will be in Philly this week and will definitely give it a try. It's good to see Jim's get some competition. Hopefully the tour busses won't stop at SOS like they do at Jim's ...ugh. I will have to cope with getting a cheesesteak AND DiNic's roast pork in a 24 hours window. Life it tough.. wink.gif

re: tony luke's

this is just a heads up for anyone going to philly between dec. 25 and jan 1. tony luke's won't be open between these two dates. there is a sign saying they would be open on jan 2nd though. oh well!

Dagger. Any cheesesteak place that might be open on 1/1?

I will be in Philly this week and will definitely give it a try. It's good to see Jim's get some competition. Hopefully the tour busses won't stop at SOS like they do at Jim's ...ugh. I will have to cope with getting a cheesesteak AND DiNic's roast pork in a 24 hours window. Life it tough.. wink.gif

I did not try Steaks on South last week. I had a hankering for Polish food and found myself at Syrenka in Port Richmond devouring a very big golabki and perogies. After, we walked all over in the rain to find cruschiki, but alas, the masses of Poles had already descended upon every holy establishment and there were none to be had.

Thought i'd add my two cents to this topic. Yeah, I like Tony Luke's. I also like Jim's as well.

Personally, I love the cheez whiz on the cheesesteak- if not slathered on too thick, more spread on like butter, it tastes great.

I want to recommend Abner's. It's a little more dumpy, located near UPENN. You can even buy 40's from them.

Their cheesesteak is pretty greasy but really good. I would also recommend their waffle fries topped with melted whiz- so wrong, but so good.

cjsadler and I were in Philly this weekend. Lunch was a philly cheesesteak taste test between cheesesteaks from Pat's and from Geno's. There were five of us at lunch and from each place, we got the following three cheesesteaks: Cheese Whiz and onions, only Cheese Whiz, and provolone and onions. The ideal cheesesteak would be with Pat's meat, Geno's bread, Cheese Whiz and onions.

Fantastic pics! I like your thinking when it comes to cheesesteaks. Why try only Geno's or Pat's when they're across the street from each other? I agree with you about the best steak: Amorosso roll from Geno's and chopped steak from Pat's. And, I applaud you for so boldly stating that you give the nod to Whiz. Many people disregard Whiz due to it's chemically based nature and because they think it's not original. But, it is. So, you pegged it correctly right down to the cheese.....whiz. wink.gif

Much to do about nothing......

I have previously tried the cheese steaks at both Geno's and Pat's, this past weekend, on the suggestion of Daniel K, I sampled the roast Pork Italian style sub at Tony Luke's. The difference is like comparing a 7-11 hot dog to the house made dog at Galileo Grill. Tony Luke rocks! This is now my favorite place for a sub!

I actually think there are several that are better than Pat's or Geno's. In Philly, of course, Tony Luke's and Jim's on South Street. But for me the best cheesesteak of all is in Atlantic City at the White House. I also think that the "White House Special" is the best cold cut sub anywhere. Part of the reason for both is the bread which is baked at the nearby Atlantic City Bakery and, I believe, still at Rando's. (I haven't been to either in several years.) Both are funky hole in the walls with ovens, lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling and bakers in "wifebeater" T shirts. The Atlantic City Bakery sells two things: French bread and dough. Nothing else.

I was in Philly back in April, I have been there a few times over the past few years. In general, I have never been blown away by any cheesesteaks up there. I have tried them all, some were very good, some were very bad, but none of them made me think that I was eating something special.

However, when I was up there in April, I ate two (kind of) that I felt were worth writing about...

1. I had the roast pork at Tony Luke's. It was easily the best sandwich that I have had at a Philly cheesesteak place in my life. Granted, it was not a cheesesteak, but it was damn good.

2. I had the $100 cheesesteak at Barclay Prime. Yes, it is silly, but you do silly things when you are drinking a lot. People think that I am crazy, but it was worth every penny. The roll was great, fresh baked, always a good start to a sandwich. It had kobe beef, maybe 4 to 5 ounces, lobster and shaved black truffles. We also got a half bottle of veuve clicquot with it, which was probably $30-40 on the menu. Even if it was only $30, $70 for the sandwich was worth it, most entrees were $40 anyway and it was a ton to eat. I ate maybe two-thirds of it and was stuffed, the rest of my table devoured the rest. The quality was great.

I was in Philly back in April, I have been there a few times over the past few years. In general, I have never been blown away by any cheesesteaks up there. I have tried them all, some were very good, some were very bad, but none of them made me think that I was eating something special.

just curious...what were the cheesesteak places you've gone to, and which ones did you think were bad?

To be honest, I don't know exactly every place I have been. It has been over the past few years and there is always some place that someone has told me that I have to check out. Since I was never impressed with any of them, I never really took the time to remember them. I do know, however, that I have been to Pat's and Geno's and whatever place is taking up shop in the Reading Terminal Market. I never really liked any of those. Yeah, I liked them, but I didn't love them.

Very off-the-beaten-track but I am told that the best Philly cheesesteak is at a place called Dalessandro's in Roxborough (northeast Philly). A friend who grew up in the area says that when people from that area go home, they first go to Dalessandro's and then they go on to the home of whoever they are visiting. Then they go to Dalessandro's every day during their visit, and then they go to Dalessandro's on the way to the airport.

I found this info: http://www.yelp.com/biz/RQAF6a0akMiot5lZZnMNNw

Now, by way of vetting this recommendation, consider that my friend grew up watching Jerry Blavett, the geater with the heater, and knows the words to the Bristol Stomp (I grew up in Trenton, which is a suburb of Philly for cultural purposes, so I know that these are true hallmarks of a genuine Philadelphian).

I used to be addicted to the cheesesteak at a place at 36th and Walnut (near the Penn campus) but who knows if it is there anymore.

Ellen

Very off-the-beaten-track but I am told that the best Philly cheesesteak is at a place called Dalessandro's in Roxborough (northeast Philly). A friend who grew up in the area says that when people from that area go home, they first go to Dalessandro's and then they go on to the home of whoever they are visiting. Then they go to Dalessandro's every day during their visit, and then they go to Dalessandro's on the way to the airport.

actually, while dalessandro's is in roxborough, it's actually northWEST philly (and not to be confused with the northeast section of philadelphia).

dalessandro's is a small cheesesteak place on henry ave, with a small counter (maybe 8-10 seats) and tables along the window that sometimes people sit at if it's completely chaotic in there. the last several times my cheesesteaks haven't been that great there, so more recently i've been heading directly across the street to chubby's. another cheesesteak joint that is larger (counter and booths) and they are open later (i believe until at least 2am on weeknights, and maybe later on weekends).

actually, while dalessandro's is in roxborough, it's actually northWEST philly (and not to be confused with the northeast section of philadelphia).

dalessandro's is a small cheesesteak place on henry ave, with a small counter (maybe 8-10 seats) and tables along the window that sometimes people sit at if it's completely chaotic in there. the last several times my cheesesteaks haven't been that great there, so more recently i've been heading directly across the street to chubby's. another cheesesteak joint that is larger (counter and booths) and they are open later (i believe until at least 2am on weeknights, and maybe later on weekends).

Yes, Chubby's is great, has more seating and is open on Sundays. Dalessandro's is very good too and a native Philadelphian would much sooner get into the car for a Delassandro cheesesteak than a Pat's or Geno's sandwich. Years ago, I had a visiting friend eat 4 Delassandro's cheesesteaks in a day, then take another for the drive home.

I'd say keep driving past S. Philly's big two, and do another across the street comparison in Roxborough. Then walk it off in Manyunk. Take that from a gal who's done the Bristol Stomp. While listening to an Oldies Band.
At a Beef n Beer.

NEWSFLASH from Philadelphia Inquirer:
Cheese whiz is not the preferred topping on a cheesesteak nor was it the cheese used originally -
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_updat...t_or_myth_.html

I ask for American myself, and the article points out that the BEST steak place of all, Leo's in Folcroft, doesn't even offer Cheez Whiz (they use American, and it's melted into the meat as it cooks).

But in defense of Cheez Whiz, I will say that the places that claim to use it generally don't. They buy some sort of glop that comes in #10 cans and is a cheap imitation of the real thing. So no wonder many folks don't like or want "Cheez Whiz."

Here is a link to a definitive cheesesteak site, in which Leo's is picked as the best (scroll down the first page). While many of the entries are quite dated, at least some are as recent as 2005, so presumably the picks for best are reasonably reliable. After all, things change slowly in the cheesesteak game. Take it FWIW

http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/cheesesteaks/pa.ht

I ask for American myself, and the article points out that the BEST steak place of all, Leo's in Folcroft, doesn't even offer Cheez Whiz (they use American, and it's melted into the meat as it cooks).

I'll have to check out Leo's next time I'm up there. I'll only be a few miles away. Thanks.

I had a decent cheesesteak at Coaches' in Rockville this past weekend. They've only been open a couple of months, but it's a very Philly-looking hole in the wall strip-mall sandwich joint. They're on Boiling Brook Parkway in the same shopping center as Kosher Mart (odd pairing...)

The cheesesteaks are pretty decent, they use Amoroso bread, but the steak had a bit too much gristle in it, and they don't have sharp provolone, only regular. Definitely worth going to, but not sure if it's worth the drive (unless you really have the craving). The Italian Hoagie was also really good, pretty close to my favorite from Philly, Lee's.

Stunningly, the pizza was among the best NY-style pizzas I've had in the DC area. Good crust with a good char, sauce not too sweet and sparingly applied, and just the right amount of cheese to generate a touch of grease when you fold the slice over. I need to try it again to see if the consistency is there, but this MIGHT be worth driving across town for...

Lee's is the BEST EVER!!! someone asked me the other day if I wanted one. They were headed up to South Jersey and Lees has a way of packaging the sandwich , meat in wax paper, sauce in side. that I am sorry I didnt say YES for! Onlyproblem I've seem with Amoroso bread in these parts is its baked from frozen... not quite the same..

LTM is very common in these parts, so I'm assuming that it's a popular request-it does not disqualify Al's. In fact LTM is found all over Philly in the form of a cheesesteak hoagie, which is still, a cheesesteak.

OK, Go to Pat'a or Jims in Philly and order a "cheesesteak hoagie" , make sure you ask for mayo too and let us know "how it goes" smile.gif

OK, Go to Pat'a or Jims in Philly and order a "cheesesteak hoagie" , make sure you ask for mayo too and let us know "how it goes" :rolleyes:

Not sure about Pat's but Jim's does offer a Steak Hoagie (lettuce and tomatoe).

My go to places for a cheesesteak when I get back home is either Mama's Pizzeria in Bala Cynwyd or Dalessandro's in Roxborough both offer cheesesteak hoagies, although I have never been tempted to try one. Why ruin something so good by putting a salad on top of it.

OK, Go to Pat'a or Jims in Philly and order a "cheesesteak hoagie" , make sure you ask for mayo too and let us know "how it goes" smile.gif

Well, that's not going to happen. I'm not being snarky-I just don't see myself seeking out a cheesesteak at either of these establishments at any point in the foreseeable future. If your point is that neither Pat's nor Geno's serves LTM, well then, OK.

Frankly, I wouldn't know. Philly is a very large city, with countless establishments that serve cheesesteaks-many offer them hoagie style. P&G are widely considered paragons of cheesesteaks, I get that. However, I do not hold them as benchmarks, and have never, and will never go driving 30-40 minutes out of my way to either place just for the sake of getting what is within a stone's throw of just about any intersection of the city.

I don't want to argue anything cheesesteak further-each and every dispute I've ever hurt my head reading on the subject mistakes "favorites" for "bests", and the fact is, we all just have opinions; not infallible food meters.

Honestly, I think my opinion is informed and balanced, and I gave it.

Don, feel free to remove.

Recently, I posted about a pretty good cheesesteak at Al's in Del Ray. The roll impressed me, and I asked where he (Al) got them from. He told me that Gold Crust Bakery in Del Ray supplies the rolls, so I decided to follow up and give GC a call to see if they sell their sub rolls retail-and they do. So, I'm happy with the bread, but where to get shaved rib eye?

Suggestions in Alexandria and/or surrounds?

Thanks all.

Just finished off my first Al's cheesesteak and it was a pretty good original for this area. The meat was finely diced with very little fat and and good amount of meat on the roll. The roll was also a nice version of the original and held up well to the steak and onions. I will definitely be back.

I thought I recall seeing some shaved ribeye at Trader Joes a while ago.

Pat's King of Steaks- I think I am just not a huge cheesesteak person- I would rather have a prime rib sandwich in all honesty. This was ok, the highlight were fries with cheez-whiz for me. But I had mine. Hubby likes these more than me he probably really liked his. We both got with provolone. If I ordered again, I would get it without onions, peppers and just mushrooms as the peppers had no flavor and the hot peppers on the condiment stand were better, I think it would be better if the cheese was on top instead of the bottom (it is with the whiz, but not provolone as it just kind of melded into the bread which I find rather mediocre).

This is my observation as an outsider who has tried several Philly cheesesteaks. They don't salt the steak so if you don't get it with cheeze whiz, your sandwich is likely to be extremely bland. The whiz makes a world of difference. Everyone gets it with provolone first but after they get a taste with whiz, they all switch.

Everyone gets it with provolone first but after they get a taste with whiz, they all switch.

"Everyone"/"all" is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration?

I grew up in Philly, and while I like the occasional Whiz, the "Pizza Steak wit" is my normal order (steak, provolone, "red gravy", and fried onions). Plenty of salt there.

Pat's, Jim's, Geno's aren't my favorite. I like Tony Luke's (though it's hard not to order the Roast Pork), Lee's (though it's hard not to order the Italian hoagie), or Dalessandro's.

This is a good site for cheesesteak research.

"Everyone"/"all" is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration?

I grew up in Philly, and while I like the occasional Whiz, the "Pizza Steak wit" is my normal order (steak, provolone, "red gravy", and fried onions). Plenty of salt there.

Pat's, Jim's, Geno's aren't my favorite. I like Tony Luke's (though it's hard not to order the Roast Pork), Lee's (though it's hard not to order the Italian hoagie), or Dalessandro's.

This is a good site for cheesesteak research.

Go pizza steak! No wit for me tho wink.gif
(and go cheesesteak hoagies too!)