Kite Runner Cafe, Lee Highway in North Arlington - Chef Homayon Karimi Comes from Lebanese Taverna - Closed

My neighborhood listserv has been praising this place ever since it opened a couple of months ago, so my friend and I decided to try it.  The praise was spot-on.  This food is downright delicious.  We had the baba ganoush (best I've ever had) with fresh-made pita, and chicken kabob sandwiches.  Everything was so flavorful and fresh.  Can't wait to go back and try more things.  You can dine in, but also looks perfect for carryout.  The website is here.

• Like 2

Not related to the food whatsoever, but Lady KN has nearly completed the book "Kite Runner" and describes it as a good but painful read. (From the Department of Irrelevance.)

I'm not convinced this is unrelated. If nothing else, it's a good way to remember the name of the restaurant - I'm looking forward to having an alternative to Bamian and Panjshir (not that there's anything wrong with either).

Great book. Not sure I would name a restaurant after it, though, as it is kind of heavy. Parking may be the key challenge for this place (and the other establishments in this little strip).

I have to admit, the restaurant name is a draw. I gave my friend two choices for lunch, both of which we'd never been to: Kite Runner or Earl's Sandwiches. She picked Kite Runner because she loved the book. And it was a mighty good choice. Regarding parking, both of us parked along the side street: her on Oakland and me on Pollard. It was a Friday and I had to drive a couple blocks south on Pollard because lots of spots were taken and some of the parking spots were zoned 8am-5pm. Normally I wouldn't mind but it was pouring rain on Friday. On a weekend it should be easier. They have about 6-8 "retail" spots behind the restaurant but it looked like a bit of a tight squeeze.

We ate here a couple weeks ago and were very happy with it. It's a very casual place (order at the counter), so not similar to Bamiyan etc. in atmosphere. Loved the kadu chow (pumpkin and butternut squash entree), the chickpea side dish, and the crisp/tender naan bread. My husband loved his lamb stew (daily special). My son didn't want yogurt sauce on his chicken kabob sandwich, so we got it on the side and dipped the naan in it. Very happy to have this place around - we'll be back.

This just in from the owner of Kite Runner Cafe:

We now offer free delivery by Kite Runner Cafe within a 1.5 mile radius and a minimum of $20.

P.S.- I'm not a shill from them but I do like to see mom & pops with good food succeed...

I miss Kite Runner - but I'm excited to try Gaijin Ramen Shop.  The pix they posted on their FB page looked very appetizing.  And since they carry more than ramen, I'll be able to get the family there too (the kiddo will want the wings).  If it's good, the only downside will be that ramen doesn't seem like a great takeout food (Kite Runner delivered and we'd done that a few times, as well as eating in there a few times).