When I was in Philly last month, I had some delicious poached skate at a.kitchen, but I can't seem to find skate around here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

We circulate skate into our menu when we make a dish called "nanbanzuke" (南蛮漬け) -- it's basically the Japanese version of the Portuguese escabeche, or escovitch. The Portuguese were some of the first Westerners to land in Japan and there are several dishes that are influenced by the cuisine.

For skate nanban-style, we fry the skate with the cartiledge intact and then marinate it for 24-48 hours in a rice wine vinegar brine flavored with sesame oil, onion, carrots, and red chilis. It *rules*.

We've used several different white fish in the past -- monkfish, mackerel, etc -- but skate has been my favorite. I'll remember to post something about this on our facebook page next time we have it.

• Like 1

Please also post here, and in the Seki thread, when you're serving it, Cizuka -- we'll rush right over!

On 6/10/2013 at 3:40 PM, Cizuka Seki said:

We circulate skate into our menu when we make a dish called "nanbanzuke" (南蛮漬け) -- it's basically the Japanese version of the Portuguese escabeche, or escovitch. The Portuguese were some of the first Westerners to land in Japan and there are several dishes that are influenced by the cuisine.

For skate nanban-style, we fry the skate with the cartiledge intact and then marinate it for 24-48 hours in a rice wine vinegar brine flavored with sesame oil, onion, carrots, and red chilis. It *rules*.

We've used several different white fish in the past -- monkfish, mackerel, etc -- but skate has been my favorite. I'll remember to post something about this on our facebook page next time we have it.

---

Skate (Shopping and Cooking) - dinoue

• Like 1