Taco Bamba, a Virginia-Based Taco Chain in Several Area Locations

Yeah ... The Seinfeld reference doesn't really fit, although Kramer is amazing. I just think of them as "uber hipster" ... If you saw the "Sunday Funday" episode of You're The Worst, Season 1, the crew meets up with bizarro versions of themselves, and it's hipsters just trying way too hard, with the hats and man buns, and trying too hard. Edgar says in this episode: "Hipster stuff is just poor Latino stuff from 10 years ago." Is it obvious that one of the few things I like better than tacos is this show?

hipster doofus.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mare22204 said:

Tried to go twice, but parking is a nightmare.  This thread has made me want to try again.  Maybe even just continue to circle until I get lucky.

Funny, I've been here probably a dozen times and have always found parking - you could park in the Whole Foods lot if you don't mind the walk. The problem is that there are at least three restaurants in Taco Bamba's shopping center, so going at dinner can probably get rough.

10 minutes ago, mare22204 said:

Oh, thanks!  I'm always nervous because of aggressive tow trucks. But you're right - it's never too bad parking in that shopping center.

Walk into Jason's Deli to wash your hands. :) That shopping center is so sprawling that I don't think you'd get towed from there, and if you do, buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks and save your receipt (I wonder if that maneuver works).

Now Pupatella, *that's* a scary park because you need to cross Wilson Blvd if you put your car in the grocery store's lot, and there are few if any alternatives.

I recently went to Puerto Vallarta, ate some street tacos, and some highly reputed dive restaurant tacos.  My conclusion - if you're paying $1 - $4 for a taco, you're not gonna get consistently good food.  The ingredients are cheap, the cooks are lowly compensated, and if it doesn't cost more than a Big Mac, should you really expect it to taste better?  I like Bamba, but recognizing the business model may help me, and possibly you, from expecting too much.

ETA: most tacos in PV were 12 pesos, so about 66 cents.  I had mostly al pastor and birria. 

First trip back in a couple years, and went with the old standbys: Black Pearl and El Gringo. Both were delicious, tho i had a pretty pathetic piece of fish in the BP, and the EG is just wrong in a stuffed, gooey, bacon-ranch, 5-tortilla needing kind of way.

In addition, we got a large Pozole, which was amazing. I didn't know what it was when I ordered it, just going on faith from what I've read here, and i'm still not exactly sure what i was eating, but it was delicious, and could make multiple meals.

Also, I tasted and felt this meal all night, and couldn't get to sleep. Worth it!

• Like 1

Well, I was not one of the first 100 customers at Taco Bamba Vienna today.  Based on what I saw when I walked in a 9:40 this evening, I was probably not one of the first 1000 customers today!  Who said Vienna is a sleepy little town?  (I have, but maybe not on here...)  There were, conservatively, 40 people in the place at the aforesaid 9:40 tonight.

I understand that they were slammed for most of the day.  I ordered only the red pozole, and, after about 10 minutes of waiting and a couple of kind urgings to the guy announcing ready orders, he was able to get the cooking line to jump me ahead of about 25 pending orders for tacos, etc. (tortillas and proteins covering the flattops), to ladle that goodness into a Styrofoam container, and I was on my way.  People were still coming in as I was leaving at around 9:50.

There are tables and chairs that seat around 16 people at two- and four-tops.  There is a "bar" near the storefront with around 12 backless stools, and they serve beer (four or five drafts, a few cans and bottles) as well as mixed drinks.  In addition there are something like around 20 seats at "eating bar" areas in front of the kitchen line and in between the drink bar and the tables, near the front of the space.

As an aside, Cava Mezze Grill is also now open in that same shopping center, and is also open until 10:00.  There were only a handful of people (like 5-6) in there for that "mundane" food at that late hour.  (I have never eaten at one of these places, but know that it is not mundane based on word of mouth.  I will be in there before the end of the weekend to try it out first hand.)

I finally made it over to the new Taco Bamba in Vienna.  I am regular at the Falls Church location, usually go there at least once a week.  The new Vienna location places an emphasis on seafood, which I like.  It gives each location its own identity.

I had the El Titanico: Shrimp, Swordfish, Crab, Octopus, Avocado Pico de Gallo & the El Bacho: Carne Asada nachos with, Salsa Verde, Crema, Cotija, Pickled Fresnos, Pico de Gallo. 

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

• Like 5

Visited on Sunday morning at the Vienna location.  Loved the bar, where you can sit and order a cold cerveza (Modelo Negra) and order food from the bartender.

Didn't love the tacos.  The lengua was probably the best of the 4, pretty tender and flavorful (but not melt in your mouth tender). The carne asada was the worst, beef so tough that I didn't feel like finishing it.  By the time I got thru those 2, my al pastor and carnitas were stone cold, or they could've been cold to start with.  They really packed a lot of meat into those tacos tradicionales, and hence it took much more time (especially on the carne asada) to eat.

Finally, I didn't like their selection of Tacos Nuestros.

On March 2, 2017, I enjoyed the GUEST CHEF TACO OF THE MONTH at the Falls Church location.

• GUEST CHEF TACO OF THE MONTH
    Chef Danny Lee of Mandu 
    Man-Du-I-Love Chicken Taco
    double fried chicken, spicy soy glaze, gochujang aioli, Korean radish & carrot slaw

16938486_10210774749876673_2015707928048320268_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Springfield location is open and I've been twice now, each time weekend lunch visits.  This is in the same shopping plaza as a Chick-Fil-A, so if you go on Saturday around lunchtime, there is a huge traffic-choking line of cars for the CFA drive-thru.  It's best to park at the far far end near the Outback so you can avoid the gridlock when trying to leave.

The setup has a square bar area in the center of the restaurant and ledge seating and some tables around the perimeter.  Didn't see posole on the menu boards -- tacos, nachos, sopes and tortillas, plus sides -- so maybe that's just a wintertime addition.  On this past Saturday, they had a special taco where the proceeds went to a relief fund for Puerto Rico.   The previous week, I think I saw Chef Albisu hanging out at the bar and just checking out how the operation was doing.  It was packed two weeks ago (on a Sunday, and CFA was closed), and on Saturday this week, we got there about 12:30 and it was relatively quiet but had picked up to almost full by the time we finished eating.  I've tried several different tacos and have like them all, even more so with a bit of their salsa verde added -- creamy, limey, cilantro-y goodness.  And I've gotten into the habit of getting a side of their rice & beans because it's just so good.  

In a nutshell, all the stuff you love about Taco Bamba continues in the new location, plus a bar, plus seating, and still the same mediocre tortillas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weezy said:

The Springfield location is open and I've been twice now, each time weekend lunch visits.  This is in the same shopping plaza as a Chick-Fil-A, so if you go on Saturday around lunchtime, there is a huge traffic-choking line of cars for the CFA drive-thru.  It's best to park at the far far end near the Outback so you can avoid the gridlock when trying to leave.

The setup has a square bar area in the center of the restaurant and ledge seating and some tables around the perimeter.  Didn't see posole on the menu boards -- tacos, nachos, sopes and tortillas, plus sides -- so maybe that's just a wintertime addition.  On this past Saturday, they had a special taco where the proceeds went to a relief fund for Puerto Rico.   The previous week, I think I saw Chef Albisu hanging out at the bar and just checking out how the operation was doing.  It was packed two weeks ago (on a Sunday, and CFA was closed), and on Saturday this week, we got there about 12:30 and it was relatively quiet but had picked up to almost full by the time we finished eating.  I've tried several different tacos and have like them all, even more so with a bit of their salsa verde added -- creamy, limey, cilantro-y goodness.  And I've gotten into the habit of getting a side of their rice & beans because it's just so good.  

In a nutshell, all the stuff you love about Taco Bamba continues in the new location, plus a bar, plus seating, and still the same mediocre tortillas.

I enjoy Taco Bamba but visit (very) sporadically because of the tortillas.  I guess I don't understand why they don't seem to be interested in putting their quality meats/fillings on a tortilla of equal quality.  Though they do keep expanding and must be successful regardless, so what do I know?

I do my best to hit Oyamel and Espita at happy hour for excellent fresh masa tortillas at reasonable prices (again: happy hour).

We unwittingly dodged the tortilla issue by ordering the Torta Bamba.  It has many of their offerings 'sandwiched' in a very serviceable roll that hits the griddle before being loaded with all the good things.  My first thought expensive but it did feed both of us.  An order of excellent rice and black beans topped it off.  

We took it all home and deconstructed the tower.  Neither of us had ever had beef or chicken Milanese with a Latino touch and liked it a lot.  The only element that seemed out of place was the beef frank.  It was just a beef frank and didn't bring much to the sandwich.

We'll go again.  The quality we found was superb.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 12:02 PM, weezy said:

Signage is in full bloom. I'm anxious to try this newbie to the Springfield food scene, but I can't imagine why they would pick this place to go to die.

This is the former location of Le Bledo Dalat bakery, which moved to Bland St because Chik-fil-A has choked the parking lot into a monopoly. There is no reasonable accessibility to Taco Bamba, either in or out. The ownership must have done their research, but I can't think of a more inaccessible location in Springfield. Le Bledo left for this very reason, and they are thriving in their new location.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 7:06 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Signage is in full bloom. I'm anxious to try this newbie to the Springfield food scene, but I can't imagine why they would pick this place to go to die.

This is the former location of Le Bledo Dalat bakery, which moved to Bland St because Chik-fil-A has choked the parking lot into a monopoly. There is no reasonable accessibility to Taco Bamba, either in or out. The ownership must have done their research, but I can't think of a more inaccessible location in Springfield. Le Bledo left for this very reason, and they are thriving in their new location.

Mexican-Americans will find Taco Bamba. There couldn't possibly be a worse location in Falls Church either, and it's always crowded because it has some really good things (their Posole continues to be the best I've ever eaten) - I think they'll do fine, if the past is an indicator of the future.

• Like 1

I hadn't been in awhile, and was please to see that the Falls Church location had expanded its menu to now include, among other things, Chicken Flautas. The serving included 3 tightly rolled, fried chicken tacos, smothered in lettuce, cheese and tomato. This was a meal unto itself, for the modest price of $6.50, but since I'm a pig, I also was able to cram a Black Pearl and El Gringo in my pie hole, both of which were as tasty as ever. Pro tip: If you get the El Gringo, make sure to grab plenty of napkins. Needless to say, I wanted to die when it was all said and done, but I would have gone with a smile on my face.

• Haha 1

I visited the Springfield location with my daughter & her friend yesterday & it was great. I got the Foo Fighter (which I loved because the papaya slaw was super spicy, but the meager pieces of fish, the size of my little finger, were disappointing) & the Arabe (no complaints, lots of nicely marinated chicken on a pita , like a chicken schwarma). One kid got the taco Bamba (amazing) & the other the Vic-Fil-A (also amazing) & filled it out w/ 4 more carne asada tacos. We loaded up on the salsas, the girls got fruit punch Jarritos, & Taco Bamba gets a vote of approval.

Nope, not this time, 3 tiny pieces, almost not recognizable as fish-but the papaya slaw was spicy, not sure if that makes up for it?

I am thinking about going to Bartaco Mosaic tomorrow w/ the kids for comparison. I did really like Taco Bamba, but might order different stuff next time.

I should take photos, but don’t usually remember it.

Kids & I visited the Vienna location on Sunday, at the same time as a large family Easter gathering (just a bit strange, loads of small children), had the Arabe & SanDiego tacos.  I thought the tacos at Springfield were a bit better (the chicken on my Arabe was kind of cold) & I’m giving up on fish tacos, you don’t get enough fish to even taste it (Foo Fighter at Springfield, while even smaller, was tastier).  I love the salsas & will continue to try other menu options.

11 hours ago, thistle said:

Kids & I visited the Vienna location on Sunday, at the same time as a large family Easter gathering (just a bit strange, loads of small children), had the Arabe & SanDiego tacos.  I thought the tacos at Springfield were a bit better (the chicken on my Arabe was kind of cold) & I’m giving up on fish tacos, you don’t get enough fish to even taste it (Foo Fighter at Springfield, while even smaller, was tastier).  I love the salsas & will continue to try other menu options.

As far as portion and flavor, Tortas Y Tacos La Chiquita in Arlington has good fish tacos. Living in CA a number of years the simplicity of an authentic taco is key; cilantro, online and squeeze of lime is just about all one needs and this place does it well. All their menu items are done very well. My only complaint is their carne asada has taken major short cuts, "steak-umms" meat chopped up does not constitute carne asada by any means in my book.

Photo of Tortas Y Tacos La Chiquita - Arlington, VA, United States. Pescado - grilled fish

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Escoffier said:

According to the Washingtonian, Del Campo is no longer and Taco Bamba is open.

[Somewhat incorrectly, Taco Bamba's expansion has precluded it from being included in individual neighborhoods in our Dining Guides. If a chain is good (and Taco Bamba is (or at least was) very good), I'm attempting to include a mention about them, but once a place opens its 3rd, 4th, 5th location, no matter how good they are, that's just too much for me  to keep track of. At this point, it's all academic, as I simply don't have the time to finish this project (which would only take someone a couple of hours, hint hint).]

I do wonder if this is a "finish the lease" type of situation - one in which the company is obligated to fulfill their lease, and is doing it the best way they can, but once the lease expires, they'll close up shop. Obviously, Taco Bamba is doing well, or they wouldn't be expanding, but up until now, they've done it in fairly low-rent districts - it's going to be a lot tougher to make a profit at 777 I St NW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

[Somewhat incorrectly, Taco Bamba's expansion has precluded it from being included in individual neighborhoods in our Dining Guides. If a chain is good (and Taco Bamba is (or at least was) very good), I'm attempting to include a mention about them, but once a place opens its 3rd, 4th, 5th location, no matter how good they are, that's just too much for me  to keep track of. At this point, it's all academic, as I simply don't have the time to finish this project (which would only take someone a couple of hours, hint hint).]

I do wonder if this is a "finish the lease" type of situation - one in which the company is obligated to fulfill their lease, and is doing it the best way they can, but once the lease expires, they'll close up shop. Obviously, Taco Bamba is doing well, or they wouldn't be expanding, but up until now, they've done it in fairly low-rent districts - it's going to be a lot tougher to make a profit at 777 I St NW.

This might offer some explanation/context.

The DC location was hopping last night--running on all cylinders with a very large crowd--and the tacos are as delicious there as they are out in VA (I got a bunch to go), although some of the special tacos sound a bit over-the-top or too jammed full of oddly matched stuff.  I believe the prices are 50 cents higher per taco than in VA--$3.50 for regular tacos, $4.50 for the specials.  But they aren't skimpy tacos.  Three is easily a meal--two for most eaters.

• Like 1

I normally visit the branch in Vienna where they serve cerveza but I was in the vicinity of the original Falls Church location so I stopped in for brunch.  All I can say is the spicy shrooms were really spicy today.  So spicy that I have to keep quaffing water and I was really not enjoying the taco at all (can't taste much else).  Trying to peel the taco shells apart when they're stuck together is also annoying.  Life's a bitch!

As for vegetarian tacos, the RA'S AL GHUL (Moroccan spiced cauliflower, spicy yogurt, cous cous, raisins, almonds, arbol chile, mint) available only at at the Vienna branch is delicious.  

Tried the chicken & cheese enchiladas at the Springfield location over the weekend.  A huge amount of food for $8 -- 2 enchiladas, rice, refried pintos, lettuce & tomatoes,with a fried egg on top.  I had also gotten an asada taco not knowing how much food came in the enchiladas.  All components tasty, but it's a lot more cheesy than I care for anymore.  I ended up eating the egg & sides and left half the enchiladas behind.    Still stuffed to the gills, even so.

Rainy day lunch w/ the kids at Taco Bamba Springfield today & it was SO good-first time in a while that I ordered all new stuff & it was worth it.  I got a sope w/ tinga, tostada Tong Po Pork-chorizo, mint, basil, larb sauce, onion, cilantro, charred serrano salsa, chicharron, & street corn (I shared ). Tom got 3 tacos-al pastor, Ricky Bobby, & high on the hog, E got 2- taco bamba & arabe.  I am SO happy when I get good food, despite the rain, I almost floated home.

I’ve only eaten at Springfield & Vienna locations (& none of us have tried DC), but the kids think that Springfield has the edge. It was packed today & no complaints, aside from how messy I got, hands & face, eating all the delicious food.

Next time, I’m going to have another Foo Fighters taco-I think the small one I got the first time was an aberration, & it tasted delicious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takeout dinner from the DC/Chinatown Taco Bamba location last night and my first disappointing visit to this chain: the Sid Vicious taco (crispy cod, malt vinegar salsa macha, mint tomatillo slaw, tartar) was dry and flavorless, despite the various moistening ingredients, and the tortillas were papery and flavorless as well; and, the Taco Bamba (skirt steak, chorizo, grilled guacamole, cotija, pickled onions, pickled fresno, cilantro, + chicharron) was the same story. Both tacos were tough to choke down and made me wonder how a joint turning out the volume of tacos that they do could serve up a couple that seemed to have been made hours in advance and left on a shelf in the corner of the kitchen.  Hey, wait a minute . . . .

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, mcbriden said:

Saw that they are planning on opening up one near George Mason University. 

The Fairfax location is open at University Mall.  It's next door to the Halal Guys and a couple of storefronts down from Brion's Grille.  I went there today to check it out while GMU students are still on their break, because I imagine it will be overflowing once the students return.  The layout of this location is similar to the Falls Church store -- order near the back, pick up at the front, a bit of ledge seating squeezed around the edges.  Each store has a few variations on the menu, and this one seems to have a few different offerings, plus different names for some of the same tacos you can get at other stores "Mick Nugget" for the fried chicken taco, "Chilly Willy" for the fish taco (I got this one -- nice & crisp & tasty), "Papa Juans" for a cheesy/tomatoey/sausage taco.  I also got a Nature Boy, which is a BBQ bacon taco that is really tasty.  This store also has the posole roja  in reg & large sizes ($6/$10) that I don't think is carried in the other stores anymore.

At any rate, long line that moves pretty quickly, very crowded, very loud, good food.  I live about halfway between the Springfield and Fairfax locations, but will probably go to Springfield more often simply due to a much more pleasant seating configuration.

• Like 1

My mom and I used to use every excuse to head out to Tyson's area to go to Taco Bamba. We were in the area yesterday and looked at each other, shrugged, and drove right past Pimmit Dr. My mom said "The bloom is off the rose" and I agreed. The though of the parking lot, squeezing onto that little wall table, and getting our hands covered in black garlic aioli from our meal of choice outweighed the recollection of the tastiness of the food. What an uphill battle restauranteurs face when they change absolutely nothing and still interest can wane. Or is it the tricks (?) our minds and tastebuds can play on us that a food is amazing when it's just new. I used to gag from the taste of jameed  (middle eastern dried yogurt) now I love it. The science and psychology of taste is not something I've thought about before. Do chefs have an instinctive, or learned, understanding of this? This post has sort of taken on a life of its own and maybe somebody will know what the heck I'm getting at (though I don't)...

54 minutes ago, Lisa Fricano said:

My mom and I used to use every excuse to head out to Tyson's area to go to Taco Bamba. We were in the area yesterday and looked at each other, shrugged, and drove right past Pimmit Dr. My mom said "The bloom is off the rose" and I agreed. The though of the parking lot, squeezing onto that little wall table, and getting our hands covered in black garlic aioli from our meal of choice outweighed the recollection of the tastiness of the food. What an uphill battle restauranteurs face when they change absolutely nothing and still interest can wane. Or is it the tricks (?) our minds and tastebuds can play on us that a food is amazing when it's just new. I used to gag from the taste of jameed  (middle eastern dried yogurt) now I love it. The science and psychology of taste is not something I've thought about before. Do chefs have an instinctive, or learned, understanding of this? This post has sort of taken on a life of its own and maybe somebody will know what the heck I'm getting at (though I don't)...

Taco Bamba isn't *that* far out of the way from Pimmit Drive - what did you have to invoke this sick-of-it reaction?

[I hope you enjoy the Dining Guide, btw.]

1 hour ago, Lisa Fricano said:

My mom said "The bloom is off the rose" and I agreed. The though of the parking lot, squeezing onto that little wall table, and getting our hands covered in black garlic aioli from our meal of choice outweighed the recollection of the tastiness of the food. What an uphill battle restauranteurs face when they change absolutely nothing and still interest can wane.

There are more branches of Taco Bamba now.  I prefer going to the Vienna store where I can sit at the bar, order a beer and have my food delivered to me.  There are also a shit ton of taquerias that opened since Taco Bamba. 

5 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

There are more branches of Taco Bamba now.  I prefer going to the Vienna store where I can sit at the bar, order a beer and have my food delivered to me.  There are also a shit ton of taquerias that opened since Taco Bamba. 

I never thought the tacos at Taco Bamba were any better than numerous other DC-area taquerias; it was always the pozole for me - I haven't had that now in a couple of years, has anyone else?

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I never thought the tacos at Taco Bamba were any better than numerous other DC-area taquerias; it was always the pozole for me - I haven't had that now in a couple of years, has anyone else?

Maybe that's it. Just because I knew of Albisu, the press this place got, my mom is a big fan of fish tacos, and it was in an interesting area in that odd little mall there was an appeal (maybe) that the food didn't warrant and it took a while to figure it out. A new location doesn't appeal to me (again the black garlic aioli all over my hands). Like I've said I'm no foodie I just eat. My perspective is that of a landlord watching our own tenants grow or not, watching certain decisions be made in their business models that excite or disappoint us etc. So it's not Taco Bamba specifically it's about running a successful restaurant and the perfect storm of varying ever-changing factors, including the fickleness of customers. 

Had a disappointing lunch at the Springfield location on Sunday, partly due to my ordering and partly b/c the restaurant screwed up.  Ordered their special "Bahama Mama" taco where part of the proceeds go to Bahama hurricane relief.  This was a grouper taco with coconut rice, chiles, some other stuff.  Not a good balance of flavors -- the fish was griddled and had no crunch, although it was fresh and tasty on its own, the sweetness of the coconut rice didn't jive with the rest of the ingredients, the chiles were far too hot for this combo and completely overrode the rest of the taco.  Give directly to a hurricane relief fund and order a good taco instead.  On the other part of lunch, I ordered the Taco Bamba (skirt steak, pickled onions, cotija, etc.) and the cashier misheard me and entered the Cup o' Bamba instead.  I didn't realize the mistake until I picked up my order, and when I turned to get it corrected, the line had gone out the door and the kitchen was obviously in the weeds, so I decided to just have that instead.  I don't like the Cup o' Bamba because it just seems too gloppy to me.  ended up eating the egg off the top and digging down to the rice and beans and leaving the rest of it in the trash.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 12:13 PM, DonRocks said:

I live near the FC branch, and haven't been in a couple of years since they stopped serving the Red Pozole.