The Breslin, Gastropub in the Ace Hotel on Broadway and 29th Street in NoMad

I visited The Breslin because I needed an early brunch, and it's open early for weekend brunch (7am according to their website, though I visited around 9am).

I had the savouries pastry, which is a brioche bun sandwich filled with cheese custard and slices of bacon. Served warm. Really delicious.

I also had the baked eggs with spiced tomato and chorizo (which came with two long slices of toasted bread). The tomato component had the consistency and concentration of tomato paste. The chorizo was in the form of slices, like pepperoni, laid under the eggs/tomato paste and also on top. A bit salty, but I also enjoyed this dish.

It's a dark space.

I found the suggested gratuity amounts at the bottom of the check to be very interesting. You know how the bill at some places automatically calculate the exact amounts for 15%, 18% and 20%? The suggested gratuity calculations on this check were 18%, 20%, and 22%. (Is 18%-22% now the accepted range?)

• Like 1

Stopped by last week around 7, doing the solo tourist thing.  Super packed, the hostess advised me to just grab one of the 10 bar seats (but other chairs in the surrounding lounge without table service)for dinner.   Miraculously a seat opened up soon thereafter, and I saddled up and ordered the Penecilina, a Del Maguey cocktail that was really nice.  I started with the best scotch egg I've ever had, runny in the middle and with well-seasoned sausage housing ($8).  The pan-fried cauliflower with saffron, raisons, and capers was less to my liking ($9).  I waffled a bit on my entrée, and decided to do the terrine board ($35) featuring:  quinea hen, rabbit and prune, head cheese, rustic pork pate with pistachios, and liverwurst.  Excellent textures and sharp tastes, this was a big win for me, although it was definitely a gluttonous feast for one.

The vibe here is a bit uneven for me, industry folks stopped in to say hi and have a quick shot, while the regular patrons were not really that sophisticated.  A giddy fiancé was unhappy that her (made-to-order) boiled peanuts were taking more than 5 minutes to arrive.  On my other side, an I-banker and lawyer argued with that bartender that they had only ordered 6 Laphroigs instead of 10 (they lost and stiffed the bartender).  I should have arrived with a friend to get a table, the atmosphere would have been a bit more pleasant and I could explore more of the interesting menu as well.

• Like 1

We decided to try out the Breslin when we arrived in New York on July 3. It was close to our hotel, I'd heard good things, and we were absolutely starving at around 9 pm when we walked in. Overall, a very good experience, and I'd happily return, particularly if I were staying again at the Eventi Hotel (which I also strongly recommend, it was a great place to stay, and the largest room I've had in New York). We were able to walk right in and be seated at a table with a five minute wait. We could have sat at one of the long tables in the bar immediately if we would have chosen that route. I believe, however, that this is attributable to the fact that New York clears out over the July 4 weekend, and is not a normal state of affairs.

Like DaRiv18, we loved the Scotch Egg, which was fantastic. The menu on their webpage seems to have changed a bit so I can't 100% remember what else we had, but the saltimboca was fantastic, salty and delicious. Really the only negative comment I can come up with on this place was that service was at times uneven, in that all of the servers would seem to periodically disappear from the dining room.

• Like 1