Su Pollo, Pollo a la Brasa on Richmond Highway in South Alexandria

Ordered a whole chicken at Coco Rico. Both dark and white meats were dry and the skin had no hint of crispness. Any spices were nonexistent, thankfully the sauces had some flavor. If it wasn't a rather inexpensive meal and I wasn't so hungry I would be upset.

If you're in the area, you should try Su Pollo, south end of Rt.1/Richmond Hwy.-cooked over charcoal, more than half the time, the skin is crisp (I give it to my pups) but I've never tried their yuca, I get rice. The soup (aguadito de pollo) is excellent, especially w/ a little green sauce, & the tv always has soccer. It's a little hard to maneuver into their parking lot, but you can park in the shopping center next door, (other side of McDonalds) & pop in & out.

I am going to second Su Pollo. The chicken is really quite good and the best to be found anywhere near Alexandria. Its of the more heavily seasoned variety (which I prefer). Its a good sized bird, but is still moist. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, it is cooked over charcoal and that comes through. Yucca is I want from it. Not too big (right crunch to interior ratio), freshly fried and crispy, not stringy or too dry/starchy on the inside. Sauces do the job; good standard represenation.

So many pollo a la brasa places have such similar names - Chicken Loco, Wild Chicken, Crazy Chicken, Pollo Loco, etc. - and I'd also love to know if *any* of them make their own sauces (particularly the yellow and pink ones). La Caraqueí±a and La Canela have in the past, but I can't think of anywhere else in the area who does.

So we go to Su Pollo, & my daughter asked the other day what the white sauce was (she always gets extra) & I admitted I didn't know, other than thinking it's a mayo kind of thing, I love the green sauce, & you have to double dip (white, then green).

So we go to Su Pollo, & my daughter asked the other day what the white sauce was (she always gets extra) & I admitted I didn't know, other than thinking it's a mayo kind of thing, I love the green sauce, & you have to double dip (white, then green).

Oh, you can rest assured that both the white and pink sauces are "mayo kinds of things." The green sauce, on the other hand, is dairy-free.

I still go to Su Pollo about once a month (because I can cook chicken at home, when I'm not lazy), a step above grocery store rotisserie chicken (actually, I've never bought any), rice is decidely average, salad forgettable, but double dipping white & green sauce is priceless.

& my dogs really appreciate the chicken skin.