Eamonn's, A Dublin Chipper in Old Town - By The Owners Of Restaurant Eve - Closed Jul 27, 2019

Whoa. Cool.

Chef Cathal and Meshelle Armstrong , owners of the fashion-conscious Restaurant Eve (110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria; 703-706-0450), are preparing to welcome a new addition to their family: Eamonn's/A Dublin Chipper , which they hope to open (a lease is all but signed) in Old Town in the next three to six months, according to Cathal Armstrong. Eve was named for the couple's 6-year-old daughter; Eamonn's was inspired by their 3-year-old son. If all goes according to plan, the casual, two-level restaurant -- "the extreme opposite of Eve," says Meshelle -- is expected to replace Scotland Yard (728 King St.) and will feature fish and chips in a small dining room downstairs, and maybe even poker games in an upstairs bar. Why open another place to eat? The Irish-born chef suggests it has something to do with his younger child: "restaurant envy."

Whoa.  Cool.

This sounds great, and I heartily approve of anything that could bring proper fish and chips to the area, but I have to admit I'm kind of sorry to see Scotland Yard go - one of the funniest things I've seen happen in a restaurant happened there.

We were having dinner there with my parents, and as usual, the somewhat crotchety Scottish gentleman who ran the place was sitting near the door, next to the heater, with his wee dram. Just outside the door, a group of vaguely yuppie-looking folk were standing reading the menu.

All of a sudden, your man jumps up, opens the door, grabs the Polartec-clad lapel of the nearest Yuppie, roars "Come in, lassie!" and drags her inside. The rest of the herd followed her in, and they ended up staying for dinner.

I think they were scared not to. :)

We need a new place to get fresh haggis! Ther really is a derth of good Scottish bars in the area. But we can always use another fish and chips place!

By the way. I had a excellent plate of fish and chips with a Guniess last night at Portners in old town

Edited by Scott Johnston

The Flying Scottsman closed!?!?  When did that happen?

The former restaurant where Eamonn's is to be located is Scotland Yard (728 King St.), not The Flying Scottsman. It's located just west of Washington Street (GW Parkway) in Old Town.

Edited by Free Wilma

The former restaurant where Eamonn's is to be located is Scotland Yard (728 King St.),  not The Flying Scottsman.  It's located just west of Washington Street (GW Parkway) in Old Town.

Scotland Yard has been closed for a good year or so. I was under the impression that a southern restaurant was going into that spot. Does anyone know what happened?

Let us raise our glasses to the lovely Scottish gentleman who owned Scotland Yard for so many years. I know Cathal will take care of it.

Forget about the Scottish stuff :) ....I want to know what we can expect at this "Dublin Chipper" (which I'm very excited to hear about). Too many empty storefronts on King St. these days with restaurants promised that never seem to materialize.

I just hope the 3-6 months is all it takes. The new Whole Foods was originally scheduled to open more than a year (maybe two) ago.

SO - would either of the Armstrongs (or other sources in the know) care to give us a preview of what's to come? Other than the obvious great food and atmosphere... Do tell!

Edited by goldenticket

Between Eamonn's and Rustico, I'm really excited about Alexandria becoming THE spot for double-D's. Dinin' and Drinkin' that is.

As for fish and chips, they make a damned good plate at Murphy's, almost directly across the street from the potential Eamonn's site.

As for the Flying Scotsman, I used to go in there pretty frequently (Belhaven on tap!!!!!) for their quiz night on Mondays. But then the quiz folks stopped coming. Then I stopped going. I wonder if they brought quiz night back. I haven't been there in at least a year.

And as for REAL ALE at Eamonn's? Jake, god bless ya laddie for bringing it up. If they serve it, I will come. More than once. :)

Per today's TomChat:

An update from the owners of Restaurant Eve in Old Town: Their casual spinoff, Eammon's Chipper, is under construction and expected to open (keep your fingers crossed) this summer, possibly in July. Fish and chips and suds, courtesy of chef Cathal Armstrong, sound like great fun, don't they?

Droooool ...

Took a walk in Old Town today and came upon the soon to be Eamonn's. Lo and behold the door was wide open in homage to arriving Spring and the gorgeous weather. Unable to contain my curiousity I walked in and spoke with the contractor.

What a lovely space !! I had never really looked into the Scottish restaurant, I'm not sure you could even see into it from the window. Being inside the first thing I noticed was a lovely row of metal chandeliers running the length of the long and narrowish space. Next I admired the great tin ceiling. It's a beauty !! The contractor told me that they were both remnants of the existing space and just needed to be shown off. He estimated about 2 1/2 months until finish.

He also mentioned to me that there is a private room going in upstairs, which will have it's own side entrance. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping it might be available for private parties. I've got an anniversary to celebrate next year and some money to spend !!

BD

It was a kooky space, and who ever said they didn't have a kitchen was right. It's the size of a walk in closet-and yes, the cooking was all from a microwave..But It's beautiful now!!!!!!and perfect for us. We have been working hard on it. Fish and Chips! Even I can't wait..Cathal's been perfecting his recipe and it's gorgeous. AND it's not greasy. I'm happy about that cause then it just leaves valuable stomach for all the fried desserts!!!

As for the BAR-just think SPEAKEASY. Fish and Chips downstairs and a Classy Joint Upstairs

where you'll 'Listen to the Ice'--Knock-knock today's password is....

I just can't wait. When I lived in England I was lucky enough to have time to take a trip through Ireland, starting in Dublin and working my way across to the Aran Islands. I am getting really, really restless and feel I need a return trip. Eamonn's may just be able to stave off my wanderlust until my finances -- and vacation time -- catch up with my itchy feet...

I'm going to have to let my lack of chipper knowledge be known and ask, "What is a batter burger?"

Cathal mentioned in the chat that he was going to have batter burgers and batter sausages.....its been about 15-20 years since my last one but its fairly tru to its name - a burger (or sausage) dipped in batter and deep fried! Great, post-pub food, preferably served out of the back of a filthy old truck by a guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth sprinkling ash on everything!

Looks like these folks have the general idea, except they are bettering everything incl the bun and thats not what I've eaten.

Now of course Cathal may well give us his own, possibly healthier (?) interpretation.

We just passed inspections and were approved to close in. Hoods arrive on Wednesday and kitchen equipment arrives later in the week, probably 2 to 3 weeks away, all things being equal. We will keep you posted as we progress.

Anything under your & Mechelle's direction will be amazing and excellent. I cannot wait to go and taste the fabulous menu. And by the way - Congratulations on getting Food & Wine's honor of "10 best new chefs" in the country. You deserve it.

Pardon me for having a Monday brain, but does this mean that Eamonn's is open? If so, hooray! If not, is July 17 still the official date?
I walked by there on Saturday and they are not open and it looks like it will be a little while longer before they are ready to open. I did see a big box of paper napkins sitting on the floor, a good sign. It looks like it is going to be really nice on the inside.

Hello Friends!

Here's a little info on Eamonn's. It's my release that I am sending to the press. It kinda gives a heads

up of what to expect. I am so very excited about this project. It's been in our hearts for a long time.

Be Well! MESHE (Sorry ahead of time if I triple space...I kinda don't know the rules of non-graphix)

THANKS BE TO COD - EAMONN’S A DUBLIN CHIPPER

By Chef Cathal & Meshelle Armstrong & Todd Thrasher

“Thanks be to Cod” is the moniker you’ll find on the door of ‘Eamonn’s A Dublin Chipper’ (728 King Street, Old Town, Alexandria). The newcomer is a vision we have dreamed of since opening our beloved first-born Restaurant Eve. Along with partner, Sommelier and liquid master Todd Thrasher, the fish and chip shop is slated to open this summer, 2006, and is located three blocks from the celebrated, Restaurant Eve. The main floor of the 20-seat ‘Chipper’ is a dedication to Dublin native Chef Armstrong’s four-year old son, Eamonn.

The notion stems from the first time Cathal introduced me to the Irish ritual of fish and chips. He took me to Leo Burdock’s, a Dublin institution. It is a hole-in-the-wall take-away, but the identity was immediate with a queue out the door and a young ‘Jackeen’ behind the counter. “Ya wunna salt and vinegar with ya Cod and large, missus?” he said to me in a thick Dublin accent. From that day on, I was hooked and understood why THIS was the food of the people.

Eamonn’s is the new food redemption. It’s a virtuous fast food using artisanal methods and all natural ingredients. My husband’s fish medley will be of the highest quality, same as the fine dining creation, Restaurant Eve, named after our first-born daughter Eve. Homemade condiments are the key to his superlative sauces aptly named The Secret Seven. Fish and chips (including American fries) will be happily dipped into a variety of sauces: Salt & Vinegar, Classic Tarter, Hot Chili Aioli, Sauce Marie Rose, Chesapeake Bay Dip, Sauce o’ the Day and Kitty O’Shea, a sauce named for a famous Irish affair. It’ll make you wink when you find your favorite.

Our menu will make your mouth water as you read it on slate boards hanging over the pick-up counter. A Battered ‘Burgher’ will ‘Shun the Bun’ ™ in favor of a light and crispy batter recipe that Chef intends not to share. Bangers (or sausages), Da Bits (crunchy fried remnants), Fried Mars Bars and Doughnuts are all on the menu for take-away or eat in with a pint of Guinness should you choose to experience it the way Dubliners have been for years.

Chef’s elements for a ‘Perfect Fry’: Fresh, Salt and Crisp. So don’t be fooled… the fish and secret batter are good for you. Now the donuts, well, that’s another story.

Upstairs at Eamonns is PX - A social club that features the handy work of our alchemist Todd Thrasher. A return to the ‘Speakeasy,’ the old school, lux lounge has it’s own side-door entrance, sign-less and found only by one blue light and a buzzer. Once the cocktail hostess allows you in via first glance thru the sliding iron peep hole, you’ll walk upstairs to see a sign proclaiming, “Listen To The Ice,” ™ a statement that prepares you for Thrasher’s bar chef craft where everything old and classic is new again. This ‘Spirits’ savant uses only freshly squeezed juices, his homemade creation of tonic and bitters, and creates ‘ice picks’ by hand using large blocks of ice to produce the perfect cube so as to not dilute the cocktail. He has droppers, viles and syringes, sweet basil from a local farmer, balsamic vinaigrette for a strawberry or pineapple skins that he has been fermenting all in his back room ‘bar kitchen’ ready to infuse one of his new creations. Either way, the drinks are ‘liquid art’ and those seeking his A-list aperitifs will stay in his good graces, if you don’t order just a Vodka Tonic.

Reservations will be taken for the PX’s Blue Room, while the back rooms will be open to those who comply with the ‘Rules of the House.’

“Eamonn’s is more than just an acknowledgment to our son. It is also a tribute to our generation .”

-Meshelle Armstrong.

I noticed that Todd Thrasher has changed is signature. Is that his way of telling us that Eamonn is open (or about ready to open)?

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

I noticed that Todd Thrasher has changed is signature. Is that his way of telling us that Eamonn is open (or about ready to open)?
all the pleas to the city and state for licenses are still posted on the windows. The paper is gone from most windows. Might have to change that Opening in Late July to something a bit more up-to-date however.

On Saturday night, I did see a vat of home-made ketchup -- that is, ketchup that contains no corn syrup or other bad stuff -- slowly simmering away in the Restaurant Eve kitchen. Chef says he plans to can it and then use it "shortly" at Eamonn's. I wonder what that means???

-Beau

I got the info direct from staff while Lickety-Splitting yesterday......of course that still doesn't necessarily make it a certainty

That concurs with what I was told while spending a lovely evening at the bar last Saturday.

Also, the PX is set to go live on Wednesday.