Eamonn's, A Dublin Chipper in Old Town - By The Owners Of Restaurant Eve - Closed Jul 27, 2019

We were sooo looking forward to eating there last night, but I think we hit in the middle of the dinner rush, and after one look at the stack of people waiting for food, our friends knew that they were too hungry to wait that long. Bummer! Can't wait until we can get there...again! For real! I know that this is all part of the opening-week shuffle and that it will all be better soon :)
We were there about 5 pm - the wait for the food was maybe 10-15 minutes. That said, the wait for the dessert was also maybe 10-15 minutes. Not an uncomfortable wait if you had a table, as we did, but the people standing around with no place to sit didn't look comfy.

Lovely fish and chips. Fish and chips from fresh fish and fresh potatoes is a wonderful thing -- almost everyplace else I've had it, the fish was frozen and not completely cooked, or else cooked too much, but Eamonn's is perfectly balanced. I didn't like the fact that the batter wouldn't stick to the fish, though. Plastic forks are detestable, so I wanted to eat with my fingers but the batter came off and I was faced with the dilemma of how to get a bite of batter with a bite of fish.

My son had the batter fried burger, the batter fried sausage and the batter fried Milky Way, all of which he enjoyed, although we were joking that his arteries were going to plug up.

Unfortunately they were out of onion rings and cole slaw.

The "bachelor baked beans" seemed like they were canned beans with ketchup? Maybe fresh cooked, there wasn't a canned taste but they otherwise tasted just like canned beans with ketchup.

I will go back next time I am craving fish and chips and hope that then I can enjoy a Guinness upstairs.

I didn't like the fact that the batter wouldn't stick to the fish, though. Plastic forks are detestable, so I wanted to eat with my fingers but the batter came off and I was faced with the dilemma of how to get a bite of batter with a bite of fish.

Eat it much like a burrito wrapped in foil. Use the bag to hold the fish, that way you can bite off pieces that have both batter and fish.

I guess you don't want to see my plastic fork collection. :)

To be honest, I was just a little bit disappointed in the somewhat smallish piece of cod I received (though this could be because it tasted so good and I just wanted more).

I felt the same way when I got my fish too, but by the time I was done eating I was quite full. It was so perfectly cooked and flaky, that I just really wanted to keep eating.

BTW, Todd was working the fryer when I went in early evening (5:30pm) on Saturday.

We had originally intended to stop by Saturday evening since I didn't know if they were open for lunch yet. My GF had to go into work in Old Town Saturday afternoon though so we stopped by Eamonn's (after calling to see if they were open). We were pretty impressed. I'll have to say I like the decor, it fits. I hadn't been able to check it out previously since I haven't made it into Old Town all that often lately.

I liked the Fronch with my chips, my GF not-so-much. I liked the taste of the curry, but not really sure it does much for the fish or the chips, but if you like curry sauce, Eamonn's taste like it's done well. GF had the Chesepeake, which we both thought was the best of the 3 (though the Fronch was a close second for me). I thought the cod did come away from the batter a bit easily, but evidently I was using the fork so I wasn't eating it right :-) I love a good fry, and Eamonn's satisfied my fry (er, chip?) urge. The fried Milky Way really is something else.

I'm not sure what I'd do if we came for dinner though. Granted I'm a bit of a husky guy, but I'm not sure the large cod and chips (we split the large chips) would do it for me for dinner. For lunch it hit the spot perfectly.

Has anyone had the fish of the day? Any idea what fish we'll be seeing in the FOD? I'm guessing sticking with a meaty white fish (shark, halibut?) but was wondering how adventurous they may get.

Has anyone had the fish of the day? Any idea what fish we'll be seeing in the FOD? I'm guessing sticking with a meaty white fish (shark, halibut?) but was wondering how adventurous they may get.

FOD was halibut on Saturday night.

After reading through the posts, I was worried that two small cods and an order of chips wouldn't be enough for milady and I.

It was, but it was hot out and that's no good for gluttony. That beer tap next to the cash register is going to come in handy when it's colder out.

We had split a fried milky way regardless of full stomachs. If you have a +1 coming with you, go ahead and get one for each of you. It will stave off a fight later. The outside was like those crispy pieces of funnel cake when they've been left in the oil too long by an errant carny making eyes at your cousin, but the inside is as warm and toothless-smooth as a carny's mouth.

The outside was like those crispy pieces of funnel cake when they've been left in the oil too long by an errant carny making eyes at your cousin, but the inside is as warm and toothless-smooth as a carny's mouth.

This should surely be in Eamonn's marketing copy.

If not for the huge bag of those good French fries and the fried dough, I would have left hungry. The Cod was good, but I think it's quite expensive ($7) for what you get. To be honest I like the Fish and Chips better at Claire and Don's in Arlington. If I am ever in old town and in search of a nice snack, I may stop by again.

i thought it a wee bit small, and it needs salt dashed on it as soon as it comes out of the fryer. by the time its gets to you and you try to add salt, it just bounces off.

i like the big slabs of fish you get in England and Scotland. And there it comes with chips.

If not for the huge bag of those good French fries and the fried dough, I would have left hungry.
Thank goodness that the piece of tuna I had last night came with a salad or I would have left hungry. And Beau, thanks for serving side dishes with that roasted chicken last Sunday, otherwise that piece of chicken just wouldn't have been sufficient.

HUH?

Sufferin’ ducks! There's no use in bein' iggerant unless you can show it. She’s saying: “Bite the back of my bollix. We aren’t eatin’ here to be fat as a bishop. It’s a take away lads, not an eatin’ place.” But as sure as there’s a hole in your arse, some bleedin’ spoofer’s going to think a bag of fish and chips and a pint of the black stuff is a substitute for a full supper.

Sufferin’ ducks! There's no use in bein' iggerant unless you can show it. She’s saying: “Bite the back of my bollix. We aren’t eatin’ here to be fat as a bishop. It’s a take away lads, not an eatin’ place.” But as sure as there’s a hole in your arse, some bleedin’ spoofer’s going to think a bag of fish and chips and black stuff is a substitute for a full supper.
Appears that the white collars have circled their wagons, taking offense to Mr. Jonathan's humble, personal observation. I too miss the collective fish and novelty chips from my vagabond youth. Perhaps Eamonn’s can offer a conventional #3 menu option (fish and chips together, saving for those of us with lesser means $0.10 and our breath) as is the case in most other Americana take aways in the western hemisphere; or include the ubiquitous chips/fries/frites like they do everywhere else.

Yes, why don't you explain it?
Well ok then, I shall. For those of you who don't understand my post (and thanks for the IMs from those of you who do :) ), here ya go:

A "dinner" typically consists of a main item (fish perhaps) and a side or two (chips perhaps). That would, of course, be more filling than one item alone. DLB's statement of "If not for the huge bag of those good French fries and the fried dough, I would have left hungry" leaves me with the more accurate but snarkier response of "Well, duh".

[Jonathan, I wasn't directing this toward your post, just responding to DLB's :) ]

Well ok then, I shall. For those of you who don't understand my post (and thanks for the IMs from those of you who do :) ), here ya go:

A "dinner" typically consists of a main item (fish perhaps) and a side or two (chips perhaps). That would, of course, be more filling than one item alone. DLB's statement of "If not for the huge bag of those good French fries and the fried dough, I would have left hungry" leaves me with the more accurate but snarkier response of "Well, duh".

[Jonathan, I wasn't directing this toward your post, just quoting from DLB's :wub: ]

Not to get off subject here, but in my opinion a side item should out shine than the main dish. That was my experience at Eammonn's, I remember how good the chips were, because I was still eating them long after the fish was gone. Maybe that's why it's called a Dublin Chipper :)

Trekked out to old town this afternoon for some fried food at Eamonn's. Had the batter burgher (a generic hamburger patty coated in batter and deep fried) and a small fries, and split a fried snickers with a friend. Add in a Harp (they're serving beer and wine, but the PX isn't open yet), and I had a filling lunch for ~$16. The burgher was good, but the fries were the highlight for me, and I felt like I should've gone for the cod, it looked awesome. The various sauces were great, although the one that came by default, the curry, was not that great. I had the Chesapeake (simple, old bay + mayo), and my friends tried some of the others (Kitty O'Shea?) and also quite approved. And the fried snickers was a melted mess of absolute deliciousness. All in all, a winner, and I dropped off my knife at La Cuisine a few blocks away for sharpening. Now, I just have to return tuesday to pick it up, and decide whether I want to try Eve or just hit the Chipper again and try the cod this time.

It's a good dilemma to have.

Made it to Eamonn's last night and it was well worth the trip. I had the cod, my husband had the burgher and the chips were plentiful. I really liked the Kitty O'Shea sauce. Cheasapeake was also pretty good, though the two didn't mix that well. Once the Kitty O'Shea was gone, I pretty much stuck with the malt vinegar, which I agree is better that what you can get elsewhere!

Stopped in yesterday during the arts festival for a quick lunch. My husband and I each had a small cod and split a small order of fries. I was trying all things to dip including the Kitty O'Shea, Cheasapeake, malt vinegar and ketchup! (I'm a dipper, what can I say?)

Along with 2 soft drinks it was $16. It was plenty and plenty good.

Although the place was jumping, we waited less than 10 minutes for our order and managed to snag a couple of stools along the wall.

What a great addition to Old Town.

Stopped in for lunch yesterday as well. Place was busy but the food came out in 10 minutes.

The cod was wonderful. Perfectly fried, excellent batter, superb fish.

The chips were also very good. Not normally a fan of fresh cut fries, but these were quite good. Not too greasy and a good amount of crunch.

I enjoyed their Kitty O'Shea and Curry Sauces quite a bit. And the good malt vinegar was a welcome surprise.

Can't wait to go back and try the other items.

Was in for lunch last week - while I definitely enjoyed it, I think I prefer a batter on the cod that's a little less thick & bready... I'm sure I'll be back to try again though. Loved the atmosphere, loved the frites, and the best part for me : The fried banana - If you like bananas, this is a must!

p.s. the selection of British chocolates and sodas is great! Especially love the crunchie bars... wonder if they'd deep fry one of them for me...

Was in for lunch last week - while I definitely enjoyed it, I think I prefer a batter on the cod that's a little less thick & bready... I'm sure I'll be back to try again though. Loved the atmosphere, loved the frites, and the best part for me : The fried banana - If you like bananas, this is a must!

p.s. the selection of British chocolates and sodas is great! Especially love the crunchie bars... wonder if they'd deep fry one of them for me...

Ahem.....Irish, not British. :)

We were in the PX Saturday night. Loved the atmosphere, music, and service. It is quite small but comfortable. We felt at home immediately. Meant some new people and saw some familiar faces from Eve and Landini's. The young hip crowd that frequents Eve's bar in the evening hours will love the PX too. Can't wait to go again.

Thanks to Dusin and Tammy for making us feel so welcome.

I tried to phone before the dinner rush to find out if they are metro accessible, and the message on the machine said all pertinent info could be found on the website...unfortunately, the website I went to is just a home page with no way to "enter" (unless of course there is something wrong with my browser, which is entirely likely) I guess they don't have anyone to answer the phone, but who needs it when you've got DR.com?!

Is it metro accessible?

I'm considering "crossing" the river to get here tonite, but I'm a bit directionally challenged and could use some assistance.

Thanks.

I tried to phone before the dinner rush to find out if they are metro accessible, and the message on the machine said all pertinent info could be found on the website...unfortunately, the website I went to is just a home page with no way to "enter" (unless of course there is something wrong with my browser, which is entirely likely) I guess they don't have anyone to answer the phone, but who needs it when you've got DR.com?!

Is it metro accessible?

I'm considering "crossing" the river to get here tonite, but I'm a bit directionally challenged and could use some assistance.

Thanks.

Try this or this.

You can get off at the King Street metro and walk or take the Dash bus.

ETA: According to Google maps, it is 0.6mi from the King Street Metro stop. The map shows the location of Eamonn's 1 block farther South on King St.

Ahem.....Irish, not British. :)

For what it's worth, at least some of the merch (what the original post was referring to) is definitely British...they have cadbury flake bars, which are British. I didn't study the rest of the offerings, but decent odds British stuff is at least a substantial portion, if not all.

Does British candy get angry if you call it Irish?

Ahem.....Irish, not British (w/angry face)
For what it's worth, at least some of the merch (what the original post was referring to) is definitely British...they have cadbury flake bars, which are British. I didn't study the rest of the offerings, but decent odds British stuff is at least a substantial portion, if not all.

Does British candy get angry if you call it Irish?

Hey thanks - yeah, I've never spent any time in Ireland, but I have spent time in England, and Crunchies and Aero's and the Cadbury chocolates make the trip across the pond that much sweeter... Wasn't aware they originated in Ireland. But wherever they're from, they're my fav candy bars and I'm glad that I can easily find them here now at Eamonn's.

I'm not actually sure I like the dusting of the fried snickers bar. That said, I think my wife and I sampled just about the whole menu last night. Fish of the Day was swordfish, a bit too-meaty on its own but fantabulous with the curry sauce. Everything else was excellent as well--dark and crunchy.

If only this place were not in VA, I'd be there all the time. I went tonight, and seriously... yay! I was happy to see the Club Orange, Lemon and Rock Shandy, not to mention the Topic bars. Chili tartar sauce had a lovely kick, and the Chesapeake does a Baltimoron's heart some good. Wish I had some salad cream for the chips, though the tartar sauce does well enough.

The "Marie Rose" sauce is similar to a remoulade.

I believe the "Marie Rose" is simply ketchup and mayo mixed together, if I'm not mistaken. I assume homemade for both. Stopped by this past weekend after dropping some knives off at La Cuisine to get sharpened. Will be stopping by again after pickign up the cutlery on Saturday so that I can try the curry sauce and the Kitty O'Shea. Damn good fish and chips.

If you pick up the January Food and Wine, you can see the "Marie Rose" recipe.

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon Tabasco

Wasn't that far off. I forgot to mention that it was good, regardless. I'm simply opting for other sauces next time because, like Pokemon, I gotta have 'em all.

The Marie Rose is my favorite for the sauces that go (really, really) well with both the fish AND the chips. The curry sauce is fantastic on the chips, but I don't really like it on the fish. It's really hard to get away from these two, but I think next time I'll try to work in the Kitty O'Shea.

The cinnamon and sugar dusting on the fried candy (I love saying FRIED CANDY!!!) ain't too pretty, but it sure is tasty!

Yum, getting hungry again...

Twenty-Dollar Tuesday? Nope. More like Twelve-Dollar Wednesday. A quick rundown:

Cod: $4.00 - $6.99

Chips: $2.50 - $3.50

Chicken: $2.50

Full panel of sauces: gratis

Beverage-of-choice: $1.50 - $5.00

Fried Milky Way: $2.50

7 Rockwellians squeezed on one table at Eamonn's: Priceless

Twenty-Dollar Tuesday? Nope. More like Twelve-Dollar Wednesday. A quick rundown:

Cod: $4.00 - $6.99

Chips: $2.50 - $3.50

Chicken: $2.50

Full panel of sauces: gratis

Beverage-of-choice: $1.50 - $5.00

Fried Milky Way: $2.50

7 Rockwellians squeezed on one table at Eamonn's: Priceless

Chicken?

(comfort food extraordinary)