Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodles, Chef Zeng Feng Zhang on Race and N. 11th Street in Chinatown

We also tried Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House, which is a small, nondescript, classic hole-in-the-wall eatery that reminds me a lot of our pho houses down here. There noodles come drawn or shaved, and both types are great - fresh and chewy. The broth is pretty much the same for every dish, but you can get lots of different meat and seafood toppings or just eat the noodles plain (perfect sickness food!) with broth. The broth is clear and light and not spicy, but delicious, and you can dress it however you like for kicks (also like a pho house). It is dirt-cheap and very quick and great for eating with kids or in general!

Shaved as in from the knife straight to the pot? Could you see them do it?? If so, this calls for a road trip...

We happened to find ourselves in Philadelphia this past weekend and ended up at Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodles for lunch. Fantastic. Noodles were perfect and the broth was delicious. The roast duck noodle soup was the best I've ever had. Stir fried noodles with beef also amazing.

Our only disappointment was that it's so far from home. This place by itself puts all of DC's Chinatown to shame.

• Like 1

Agree that it is fantastic! I got the noodle soup with shaved noodles and lamb. Got a few vegetable sides that were eh (kelp and something else).

I agree - some of the best I've ever had, as good as in China. Chinatown in Philly looks legit, and it's huge. I didn't have much time, but plan on going back to gorge myself in that city.